E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 rear subframe into 335i

09-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #23
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
We’re arguing apples and oranges here
      09-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #24
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post
We’re arguing apples and oranges here
ok go ahead and install your $1500 rear M3 subrame with 100k miles on the diff and axles if that is what you want What are you plans for the brakes? The rear rotors will be bigger than the front.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #25
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Someone’s mad
      09-17-2018, 03:32 AM   #26
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
On paper the M3 diff and shafts are far superior however the subframe is a different story. There's loads of people with broken shafts hardly any with m3 ones.
@feuer is right a used M3 diff will be stronger but doesnt represent a sound value proposition given the cost and likely condition you're going to find them in nowadays.

For the money an aftermarket LSD with better bushings represents far better value and is less complex to implement. Specifically driveshaft and brakes need to be adjusted with the m3 stuff as well as replacing the likely worn M3 LSD... all that for an arguably stronger subframe which to my knowledge isnt a real problem. I cant remember seeing anyone bend a stock one even at ridiculous power levels.

If you need stronger axles though.....
      09-18-2018, 02:01 AM   #27
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Yeah I still don’t see it man, sorry
It’s obvious we have vastly different interpretations of the term “value”
      09-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #28
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post
Yeah I still don’t see it man, sorry
It’s obvious we have vastly different interpretations of the term “value”
They don't seem to realize you can build an M3 diff too and it will be superior to any stock diff... People pay $1000 just to put an M3 diff cover on their 335i lol
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #29
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
They don't seem to realize you can build an M3 diff too and it will be superior to any stock diff... People pay $1000 just to put an M3 diff cover on their 335i lol
lol $1000 is fair price considering you can't put m3 diff cover on non M diff. M3 is 210mm and non M are either 188mm or 215mm. Sure you can rebuild/build any diff but would be the cost involved and the purpose?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #30
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
lol $1000 is fair price considering you can't put m3 diff cover on non M diff. M3 is 210mm and non M are either 188mm or 215mm. Sure you can rebuild/build any diff but would be the cost involved and the purpose?
You know what I mean... VAC sells a finned diff cover for $750 to put on the stock diff. That right there gets you to 1/2 the cost of an entire M3 rear-end lol

I mentioned that you can build an M3 diff because you are saying people shouldn't buy one because of mileage... It's a much better core to rebuild compared to building your stock diff with just as much mileage on it. It's not like it's a waste of money to buy an M3 diff and then build it. Everything about the M3 rear-end is superior. Beffier axels, beefier driveshaft and superior coupler, better axels, better sub-frame, better brakes, better hub and slightly different suspension pick-up points, and superior (aluminum) lower camber arms. Modifying a stock rear-end to be superior to the M3 rear-end takes thousands more dollars then you let on. Just a diff cover and the lower camber arm retrofit kit will cost you the same as the entire M3 rear end would lol

Oh and I actually enjoy the car more on track with the increase in rear brake bias. The stock front 6-pots still lock up first despite the rear brakes having slightly larger discs. The total piston area of the rear brakes is still smaller than up front (I think) and you can easily tweak bias to your liking by using different brake pad coefficients F:R.

Last edited by bbnks2; 09-18-2018 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #31
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
lol $1000 is fair price considering you can't put m3 diff cover on non M diff
Yikes
      09-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #32
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
You know what I mean... VAC sells a finned diff cover for $750 to put on the stock diff. That right there gets you to 1/2 the cost of an entire M3 rear-end lol

I mentioned that you can build an M3 diff because you are saying people shouldn't buy one because of mileage... It's a much better core to rebuild compared to building your stock diff with just as much mileage on it. It's not like it's a waste of money to buy an M3 diff and then build it. Everything about the M3 rear-end is superior. Beffier axels, beefier driveshaft and superior coupler, better axels, better sub-frame, better brakes, better hub and slightly different suspension pick-up points, and superior (aluminum) lower camber arms. Modifying a stock rear-end to be superior to the M3 rear-end takes thousands more dollars then you let on. Just a diff cover and the lower camber arm retrofit kit will cost you the same as the entire M3 rear end would lol

Oh and I actually enjoy the car more on track with the increase in rear brake bias. The stock front 6-pots still lock up first despite the rear brakes having slightly larger discs. The total piston area of the rear brakes is still smaller than up front (I think) and you can easily tweak bias to your liking by using different brake pad coefficients F:R.
All of this is true, however people here are discussing the used m3 diff as cheaper and better alternative to buying new LSD designed for 335i and is not true when you are installing GKN with 100k. I'm strictly referring to the initial value per dollar, not after building , building, building....I want people to understand and not blindly believing that slapping some M3 parts will magically transform their car. Not everyone can DIY this nor they understand when you say different brake pads coefficient and piston size and brake bias, let alone measuring the prop shafts to be cut, welded and balanced, and probably won't know whether the diff works as it should. I have done this too, m3 diif on non M, couple of times actually. Also, I have done just LCD unit swap. So unless you intend to continue building, or tracking, and for the most part one is able to do the work themselves I don't recommend it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #33
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I want people to understand and not blindly believing that slapping some M3 parts will magically transform their car
Well.. It technically will but we’d be arguing semantics; I understand what you are trying to say and so I won’t split hairs here

I don’t think anyone was blindly advocating one over the other without legitimate reason; if I came off that way, it wasn’t my intention and I apologize. I was just trying to put my point across that for modification value; a M3 K frame swap represents more modification volume than just an aftermarket LSD + Axles + Diff cover, and in fact; personally: represents more value for me as I always have the option to rebuild/upgrade the wear parts before actually doing the swap. If you’re looking for brand new parts and have $5k to blow and are okay passing on the optional M3 extras, by all means; but subjectively, and arguably objectively, $3.5k spent on a rebuilt M3 K-frame will net the general board member greater returns for a smaller investment. I am and will be doing the work myself, and so arguably, the M3 swap represents a greater value personally

But now, if you’re looking to build a purebred track monster, the aftermarket vs OEM+ debate becomes a little more skewed depending on other factors such as desired gearing, reliability, power goals, etc. and so I can understand both sides of the debate
      03-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #34
Blazin_Jay
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118 View Post
go for the complete dressed M3 subframe it is beefier, all tubular made
the 335i one is steel sheet, it bends more

it is bolt-on, only the M3 drive-shaft at gearbox side has to be adapted
When you say M does that include the MSport or just M3?
I've been reading many posts and My 335i as now got full M3 arms and bars YSR COMP Suspension. I'm about to finish FBO with FMI and alcantara interior. Thanks to every post
Get to drive for first time tomorrow dinner time 12ish. Can't wait after old gear was knackered (everything, control arms, radius, tension, trailing and toe arms all worn-out front suspension was beyond replacement time. And this was the previous owners pride and joy 😂 LMAO! Every word that came out of his mouth was a lie, but I fell for the looks, 2007 E92 335i 70,000 mls great paint work, 19" TS1 deep dish alloys (Anyone seen a set for sale) I haven't? Money pit but mainly self inflicted due to wanting good equipment an upgrades.

Last edited by Blazin_Jay; 03-02-2021 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0