E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > READ: If You Need Help Getting External USB Hard Drive to Work

12-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
TARPON HUNTER
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Hard Top Convertible

READ: If You Need Help Getting External USB Hard Drive to Work

Many of the problems most are having with the 4500rpm with 80 GB or less USB Drives have nothing to do with Dealership Software, the length of the cord or the drive!!!

Most are because the USB drive is not properly formatted.
The drive should be FULLY Formatted not "Quick formatted in "FAT32", do not use "eXFAT" or "NTFS".

Windows only allows 32MB format size of FAT32, many think that is the largest Partition Fat 32 supports...IT'S NOT!!! The 32GB barrier is a Windows limit not the formats limit, as any Linux user can verify.

On all windows systems pre windows 7 download and use this program (freeware)to format your drive in FAT32:

http://download.cnet.com/CompuApps-S...-10070864.html
Important Before Formatting!!
First Transfer or copy all the music you loaded on the drive if you do not already have it backed up as all information on the drive will be erased.

You can also use Acronis True Image Backup program if you have it which works in Windows 7 even the 64 Bit Version of Windows 7.

Or you can download the trial version of Acronis True Image and use it to format your external drive then remove it from your computer if you wish.
Download the Free Trial here:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

For Acronis:
First Transfer or copy all the music you loaded on the drive if you do not already have it backed up as all information on the drive will be erased.

1. plug the drive into your Computers USB port
2. open acronis, click on Tools and Utilities, click on "ADD New Disk"
it will list all the drives attached to your computer be SURE you select the external hard drive you will be using in your car and when click next, delete the partitions of the drive and select FAT 32 on next screen unselect quick format.

Once the format is compleate you can copy your music onto the disk...be sure you have show hidden operating system files on windows explorer active and do not copy any art work, desktop.ini or other files to your directory or folders as that will cause some of the slow loading and other problems some had with their drives!!

You should now be good to go with the drives that others got to work...Hope this helps!!!

Happy Holidays!!

Last edited by TARPON HUNTER; 12-21-2009 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
mathu.bala
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 323i/6mt

Garage List
2009 LCI 323i  [0.00]
Nice write up. I'll give it a shot...and let everyone know.

Edit: Tried it...does not work with my Hitachi 2.5". I think my drive still lacks the power it needs.

Last edited by mathu.bala; 12-21-2009 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0