E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Wanted to share my experience with North Shore Motor Works

04-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Atlantis M3

Wanted to share my experience with North Shore Motor Works

Hello all this is a long story but ill try to make it short. I broke my wheel lock key trying to put my summer wheels on and had 2 19' summers on one side and 2 18"s on the other couldn't be good for the xdrive.

So I went to BMW Peabody, the service advisor was a complete Jerk, asked me "if i plan on doing all my own service as priority goes to repeat customers" (mind you I have bought 4 cars there) told me I had to leave the car the whole day and they would have to drill the remaining lugs off at $190 per stud. When i asked him about a master set he said that they do not use one.

So i was on my own, I went to Autobahn Performance nice guys who tried to get the lug out with a device and didn't work also stopped by Fast Track they are ordering a special tool to take the lugs off.

But now for the hidden Gem, I drive by North Shore Motor Works almost every day and I just said fuck it ill try them to see if he has any ideas. I walked in and was immediately greeted and saw they were busy working on plenty of F30s and e90s. The owner James hart then came out and said he would have both lugs off in 10 mins no problem. Ten mins later he had them off put two new lugs in swapped my rims and checked fluids and air and charged me like 10% what BMW was going to charge me for one lug. Come to find out the owner is a BMW master tech and can handle any BMW specific job including aftermarket installs, alignments you name it.

I would highly recommend North Shore Motor Works and will be going back.
      04-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
Etek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

I hate BMW Peabody. I bought my car there and I refuse to go back. I had an experience where they tried to make me pay for a FRM module that was covered under warranty. After I told them I would take it elsewhere to fix. They let me drive off. FRM fixed..but didn't mention anything about it. I find out that they installed a new one and got BMW to pay for it under warranty. Shady business.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #3
BMWhartgeM3
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Couldn't agree more! I actually just got my car back from having him do my oil pan gasket and trans service on my 335. James is the most honest and reliable mechanic I know. Just talking to him you find he knows what he is talking about also has a keen attention to detail. I've been to Larin Automotive, Bridgewater Motor works, and used to work at BMW of Norwood. I still prefer to drive just over an hour to take my car to his shop. He is the only shop I will take my car to if its out of my scope of expertise. He is the trifecta, Knowledgeable, fast, very fairly priced!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:47 AM   #4
Jressman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e92 335i 6MT

James is great! This past summer I ordered a waterpump & thermostat kit. I was going to DIY it, but realized it was a bit much for my parking lot. Then my oil pan gasket let go. Took my car to North Shore Motor Werks & James only charged me 1/2hr labor to install my waterpump & thermostat, hoses and expansion tank! He said since the subframe had to be dropped to get to the pan, everything was right there. Most other shops would have charged full book on that in addition to the pan gasket replacement. Will ALWAYS take my 335i there.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
BMWhartgeM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jressman View Post
James is great! This past summer I ordered a waterpump & thermostat kit. I was going to DIY it, but realized it was a bit much for my parking lot. Then my oil pan gasket let go. Took my car to North Shore Motor Werks & James only charged me 1/2hr labor to install my waterpump & thermostat, hoses and expansion tank! He said since the subframe had to be dropped to get to the pan, everything was right there. Most other shops would have charged full book on that in addition to the pan gasket replacement. Will ALWAYS take my 335i there.
This is exactly what I mean by honest.I have heard how he explains things easily to customers and gives them full transparency! I can actually relax when my car goes to his shop, you know he would never take a short cut or leave something broken just because the owner would never see it. He was very accommodating between setting up a loaner and getting the work done.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
pruks
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SG/BLK ZPP ZSP ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWhartgeM3 View Post
Couldn't agree more! I actually just got my car back from having him do my oil pan gasket and trans service on my 335. James is the most honest and reliable mechanic I know. Just talking to him you find he knows what he is talking about also has a keen attention to detail. I've been to Larin Automotive, Bridgewater Motor works, and used to work at BMW of Norwood. I still prefer to drive just over an hour to take my car to his shop. He is the only shop I will take my car to if its out of my scope of expertise. He is the trifecta, Knowledgeable, fast, very fairly priced!

I need some work done, my oil pan gasket is leaking. How much did he charge for all that work. And while at it, are there any other things that can be done as preventative like bushings, suspension, etc? car has 120k miles, all original parts except HPFP and water pump replaced at about 60k. has the annoying turbo rattle.
      04-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
carsonc10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Have nothing but good things to ay about James and North Shore Motorwerks. Always very honest and helps find the best solution for you. Ive taken my car there at least 4 times and it was always very timely and affordable. One night I was out and my starter failed. Had the car towed there late at night and they had it done by noon the next day. An oil change was like $60, much cheaper than the $120 at the dealer and cheaper than buying the bmw oil and filter for $80 and doing it yourself.

Im actually calling them today to check out a check engine light.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
outkast123
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive sedan

I've also had a great experience at North Shore Motorwerks. James has been servicing my 328i for the past 5 years.
Some things I have replaced/fixed through them include:
Waterpump and thermostat
Brake pads and rotors
Control arms
Rear shocks
Wiring for angel eyes

Prices were always fair and repairs were done very quickly.
Highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #9
BMWhartgeM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruks View Post
I need some work done, my oil pan gasket is leaking. How much did he charge for all that work. And while at it, are there any other things that can be done as preventative like bushings, suspension, etc? car has 120k miles, all original parts except HPFP and water pump replaced at about 60k. has the annoying turbo rattle.
It was around 1500 for everything. You should do the motor mounts while your there, and if your steering feels "notchy" I would do your steering coupler also. It would also be a good time to upgrade to the M3 control arms because the suspension has to be pulled apart and re-aligned after. Give James a call and he will go through all of that with you. Its a lengthy process but he had me in and out the same day!
Appreciate 0