E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Strange squeaking noise while in gear.

05-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
HennessyLV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F06 640d GC

Unhappy Strange squeaking noise while in gear.

Hi there,
Hopefully someone can help me diagnosing this strange noise coming from under the car.
It only happens when cruising and shifting in gears 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and goes away as soon as you press the clutch in or apply throttle. Sound like a bicycle with noisy chain/gears.
I've checked the oil in the gearbox and had the rear of the car on jackstands to rotate the rear wheels but couldn't find anything that could make that noise.
The car is E92 320i Manual.
Had the DMF and clutch replaced last year december, and she shifts fine and drives fine except sounds awful especially driving in town around 30mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #2
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HennessyLV View Post
Hi there,
Hopefully someone can help me diagnosing this strange noise coming from under the car.
It only happens when cruising and shifting in gears 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and goes away as soon as you press the clutch in or apply throttle. Sound like a bicycle with noisy chain/gears.
I've checked the oil in the gearbox and had the rear of the car on jackstands to rotate the rear wheels but couldn't find anything that could make that noise.
The car is E92 320i Manual.
Had the DMF and clutch replaced last year december, and she shifts fine and drives fine except sounds awful especially driving in town around 30mph.
Sounds like a clutch throw out bearing, but usually you get the noise when the clutch is depressed and not the other way around
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 02:45 AM   #3
HennessyLV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F06 640d GC

That's what i I thought as well but all that was replaced like 6 months ago... I'll keep looking and will post what's the issue once i find it.
Appreciate 0