E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > OFHG Change / Coolant Hose / Paranoid about belt?

05-22-2020, 11:16 PM   #1
skaper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 N55 M-Sport

OFHG Change / Coolant Hose / Paranoid about belt?

Hey!

I recently was doing some preventative maintenance and changed the oil filter housing gaskets. During this process, I broke and replaced the coolant hose. I wish I would have known about the aluminum coolant hose flange before, I would have gone that route instead of putting another plastic hose back in.

Anyway... I did all of this because I was concerned about all the horror stories from oil dripping on the accessory belt. During the process of doing the gaskets, the oil lines did in fact dump a pretty fair amount of oil on the belt - is this something to be concerned about, or is the real harm a continuous leak and I am just being paranoid?

/rant

Thank you in advance to any info!

Wagner Evo 1 IC // Active Autowerke CP // JB4 + BEF // CAtuned Coilovers // AR Design D/P // Future Classic Spacers // E46 OE CSL Wheels // (PURE Stage 2 w/ wedge next!)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Belt is cheap, just change it for your peace of mind. Most E series cars should be due for a new belt anyway, by now. EPDM rubber is what your coolant hoses and belts are made of. It is not tolerant of fuel or oil exposure. The belt should always be removed if the risk of oil or coolant contamination is possible, which in this case is inevitable.

I have done this repair before with the belt installed because someone before had stripped out the alloy T60 tensioner hole. I covered it with a large plastic trash bag and heaps of rags.

The real risk is long term exposure to incompatible substances. A lot of oil filter housing gaskets don't get fixed until they leak onto the belt anyway. Which by then they sling all over the hoses too. The rubber degrades/melts and expands, which then shreds or slips and then ends up inside your timing case.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #3
skaper
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Belt is cheap, just change it for your peace of mind. Most E series cars should be due for a new belt anyway, by now.
Good point. I think I will just swap it out.

I appreciate the response!

Wagner Evo 1 IC // Active Autowerke CP // JB4 + BEF // CAtuned Coilovers // AR Design D/P // Future Classic Spacers // E46 OE CSL Wheels // (PURE Stage 2 w/ wedge next!)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 05:00 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
If you're worried about belt ingestion, thought about fitting one of these?

E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
skaper
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Glad I asked! I didn't even know about these. I am going to do this along with the replacement - why not! Trying to get ahead of any potential issues before the PS2

Edit: Some pretty mixed reviews on the seller and the part itself. Going to hold off on that item until another solution becomes available.

Last edited by skaper; 05-24-2020 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

what is the official mileage for changing the serp belt, does anyone know? thx
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 04:50 AM   #7
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
what is the official mileage for changing the serp belt, does anyone know? thx
I doubt there is an 'official' mileage in these days of 'lifetime fill'. I change mine (including tensioner) every 50K...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
I doubt there is an 'official' mileage in these days of 'lifetime fill'. I change mine (including tensioner) every 50K...
Yeah every 50k miles. The belts are so easy to change.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

thanks chaps, will order one as im at 70k.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #10
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:

It's a good idea, but I haven't seen any of their products in stock since they started the website. Ridiculous. Why market a product if you can't even sell it? I've e-mailed them for when they have them in stock for an N52, but no response.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17303.00
      06-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
It's a good idea, but I haven't seen any of their products in stock since they started the website. Ridiculous. Why market a product if you can't even sell it? I've e-mailed them for when they have them in stock for an N52, but no response.
Sorry Josh, hadn't realised that. Wouldn't have bothered mentioning it if I'd known...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #12
Oolien
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 335xi n54

I changed my ofhg, as soon as I took the housing out some coolant went all over my belt. I ended up needing a bolt that unfortunately broke off in the head.. so I ordered a bolt and ended up not changing the belt coolant looked like it had all dried, I've been driving around for 1000km and no slipping and no damage to belt. We changed the ofhg on my friends car same thing some coolant went on the belt.
Waited 2 days for parts, drove the car 200km belt ripped in half but luckily did not get sucked into the front main.. So honestly I would recommend changing the belt to be 100% sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolien View Post
I changed my ofhg, as soon as I took the housing out some coolant went all over my belt. I ended up needing a bolt that unfortunately broke off in the head.. so I ordered a bolt and ended up not changing the belt coolant looked like it had all dried, I've been driving around for 1000km and no slipping and no damage to belt. We changed the ofhg on my friends car same thing some coolant went on the belt.
Waited 2 days for parts, drove the car 200km belt ripped in half but luckily did not get sucked into the front main.. So honestly I would recommend changing the belt to be 100% sure.
So the real lesson learned is....
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Drain the coolant first...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 04:49 PM   #15
Oolien
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 335xi n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Drain the coolant first...
Yes lesson was learned.. drain the coolant!
Appreciate 0