E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Non I-Drive to android HU in I-Drive Dash

05-29-2020, 01:50 AM   #1
crux
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi E91

Non I-Drive to android HU in I-Drive Dash

Hello everyone, first timer here. Ive searched extensively and haven't found an answer to this, but please steer me there if it exists.

I just acquired my first BMW, a 2007 E91, Non I-Drive.
I have seen many new android head units that replace the I-Drive CCC or CIC screens. I was wondering, with my non I-Drive car, if I can purchase a double scoop dash, and install one of these android units?

My goal here is to retain OEM appearance (No double din Eonon screen) and achieve apple car play.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:10 AM   #2
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

You "could" but it may have to be a work-around.

If you bought the Android screen for an iDrive version I''m not sure if it would allow you to not have the iDrive connected. Let me explain that a bit better... for cars that do not have iDrive (like mine, but I have the e89 Z4) they have the standard Professional headunit, as you do, but the screen comes with an LVDS socket anyway so the software is set up for both options and you can switch it depending on what you have. Now with the e9x series it's either iDrive or not but the screen bodies are completely different. The Non-iDrive version doesn't come with the LVDS socket (not that you'd need it) but the onboard microphone and Micro SD card slot are on the back, but does have the iDrive controller included. This would have to be heavily modified to fit within the OEN dash.
Now the iDrive version does come with the LVDS socket but I don't know if it would work at all without it (I'd suspect it may though as the programmers are lazy and probably haven't made different software for the two versions), the microphone and Micro SD card slot are on the front (for access) but doesn't come with the iDrive controller.

So to sum up, I think it would work but you'd have to contact the supplier to check and to see if they'd sell you the iDrive controller to go with the proper screen.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0