E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Combox repair?

06-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Garage List
Combox repair?

I am having a persistent electronic malfunction with the dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree. I initially thought it was a bad RDC module because a couple times it started with a flashing TPMS light, but now I think it is just an issue with the combox. I keep getting the error 00e147 for canbus short so it would seem that it is likely the culprit. I've got the combox removed - it doesn't look like there is any water damage and the cables to the unit all looked ok. I'd rather look in to repair rather than a brand new unit. Is there anyone that provides repair services?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Have you checked to see if there is an internal short in the combox canbus lines?

All you need is a meter.

You should then do the same for the canbus lines with the combox removed.

It is more likely that the issue is with the wiring than the combox.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

So I guess you are saying that the problem goes away when
you dissconnect the combox?
Highly unlikely you would find anybody to repair it most pick up
used one of Ebay or one of these boards.
There are a few places that repair Nav's and Amps.
Everything is disposable now and with surface mount chips even
more so.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 10:41 PM   #4
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
So I guess you are saying that the problem goes away when
you dissconnect the combox?
Highly unlikely you would find anybody to repair it most pick up
used one of Ebay or one of these boards.
There are a few places that repair Nav's and Amps.
Everything is disposable now and with surface mount chips even
more so.
Yes the error is gone when I removed the combox. I did find a good deal for a used one that I ended up just grabbing. Hopefully I will be all set after coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well I put the new combox in. It came from a car with all the same options as mine so I didn't need to code. Still getting the telematics short error. I haven't had my dash light up like a Christmas tree again but the sound from my speakers occasionally almost muted before coming back. Any ideas on the best places to look for corrosion or a shorted wire would be? The harnesses that connect to the combox appeared to be in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I believe the combox contains the VIN number from what ever car
it came from . I don't know what the details of the telemetrics
are for cars' past 2009 . I would talk to the idrive and coding subforums
and you will need to give them all the details .

Make sure your resting battery voltage is good before doing anything else.
Was this car flooded?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #7
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No flood damage reported or that I can see to speak of. I got it from BMW of Alexandria and it seemed pretty well taken care of. I figured I would have to code it to get things working but it's throwing no errors other than the telematics short error after the swap and everything works as it did before. I noticed when the RDC gets corroded some other people have reported getting the same telematics short code, and all then problems did seem to start after a heavy rain. The TPMS error was the first to pop up before all the other lights started going crazy. All the other errors cleared and have not reappeared again though.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

the main function of the combox (USB, Bluetooth and video(optional)) is working with car via MOST connector
the can bus is connected to separate part of the combox PCB for telematics function
you can code out this function and remove these can-bus pins from combox connector, just isolate them separately so that can bus was not shorted
if the combox is replaced then can-bus wiring is disturbed somewhere near combox, may be pdc, maybe passive go ECU are located in trunk and can get wet due leak in rear light isolation or clogged rear sunroof drain.
rdc is also can disturb canbus because it is located outside
some people report that fuel pump ECU dies sometime, it is located on rear right wheel arch, under rear seat
      04-03-2022, 08:49 AM   #9
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoT View Post
No flood damage reported or that I can see to speak of. I got it from BMW of Alexandria and it seemed pretty well taken care of. I figured I would have to code it to get things working but it's throwing no errors other than the telematics short error after the swap and everything works as it did before. I noticed when the RDC gets corroded some other people have reported getting the same telematics short code, and all then problems did seem to start after a heavy rain. The TPMS error was the first to pop up before all the other lights started going crazy. All the other errors cleared and have not reappeared again though.
I know it's years ago but maybe you can help anyway.

Did you actually code your combox of lived how it behaved?