E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Can't Reset Oil Service

07-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Can't Reset Oil Service

So the strangest thing. Today I just changed my oil for the 13th time and I can't get the CBS to reset the oil service indicator; it still shows I'm due for an oil change in 500 miles. I tried resetting it using the BT Scan tool and using the stalk. The last 3 or 4 oil changes my BT scan tool won't reset anything on the CBS and I have to go with the stalk method.

As additional info, last oil change I did back in April when I reset the CBS (using the stalk method) the service interval only went out to 10,000 miles, which it usually counts up to around 18,000. Then the engine went a quart low a bit earlier than expected at 7,200 miles and when I added in a quart the E-dipstick showed the engine still a 1/4 quart low. The E-dipstick has been consistently been showing a shorter mileage interval when the 1QT+ symbol comes up. The when new the engine used to go between 16,000 and 17,000 before it went a quart low. Then it started dropping to 13,000, then 11,000, then around 9,500 miles until it hit a quart low. The car has 221,000 on it so the engine starting to consume some oil doesn't really concern me too much. The OCI this time was 9,700 vs. the normal 17,500 it usually goes.

And lastly, I noticed that the e-dipstick has also not been instantly reporting a full compliment of oil in the sump after I change it and refill with 7 quarts. With this oil change today and the one in April, it took several readings and over 10 miles of driving for the e-dipstick to show a full reading; all the other oil changes before showed a full oil quantity on the first read once the engine warmed up.

Strange.

I'm thinking a new e-dipstick sensor is in order, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-08-2020 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Oil condition sensor would be my first guess. Any fault codes with the BT tool? A problem with this sensor usually throws a code.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks View Post
Oil condition sensor would be my first guess. Any fault codes with the BT tool? A problem with this sensor usually throws a code.
No fault codes with the BT tool. Te BT hasn't been able to access my ECU to reset the CBS for a while now (past 3 oil changes or so). It does pick up fualt codes though. I've even tried to down load the lates version of the tool to no avail.

I think I'm going to change out the sensor and see what happens. I may stop by a dealer and see if I can get a Tech to chat for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Have you tried INPA?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Download a previous version of the BT software. This happened to me and I contacted BT. They confirmed an issue with their latest version.....

I was able to use the manual method with some playing around with the steps....

I couldn't confirm because I already reset it but they had me install 1.8.6.0.

Last edited by jzchen; 07-24-2013 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Checked which version they had me install.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

So I'm bumping my thread here. I will be installing a new oil level sensor today with the hope it solves the problem. My thought is the sensor has slowly been degrading over time and now is at a point where the oil condition part of the sensor does not recognize a new load of fresh oil and is preventing the CBS from resetting.

The sensor level reading behavior has changed over time, where when in its younger life (remember my car has 225K on it it) it would instantly read "full" upon an oil change (after the proper engine warm-up time). The last two oil changes it has taken several attempts to finally read "full" (like 20 minutes of driving time). Secondly the sensor has been indicating partially low oil levels at far less miles than before when it was ; I'm sure the engine at 225K miles is consuming oil at a faster rate then when new, but I'm talking it would take 10,000 miles to read a 1/2 quart low, which recently has dropped to a full quart low in 9,000 miles.

I'll report back in later today with the results.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So I'm bumping my thread here. I will be installing a new oil level sensor today with the hope it solves the problem. My thought is the sensor has slowly been degrading over time and now is at a point where the oil condition part of the sensor does not recognize a new load of fresh oil and is preventing the CBS from resetting.

The sensor level reading behavior has changed over time, where when in its younger life (remember my car has 225K on it it) it would instantly read "full" upon an oil change (after the proper engine warm-up time). The last two oil changes it has taken several attempts to finally read "full" (like 20 minutes of driving time). Secondly the sensor has been indicating partially low oil levels at far less miles than before when it was ; I'm sure the engine at 225K miles is consuming oil at a faster rate then when new, but I'm talking it would take 10,000 miles to read a 1/2 quart low, which recently has dropped to a full quart low in 9,000 miles.

I'll report back in later today with the results.
Please post some pics. I don't even know where this sensor is located. Thanks in advance.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Please post some pics. I don't even know where this sensor is located. Thanks in advance.
Will do a DIY (if one is not already done) I'll take pics. The oil sensor is in the oil pan. You have to drain the oil.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Thanks!!!!
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

well THAT didn't work....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
TeeCee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay. So I put the new oil sensor in the engine last Saturday. It didn't fix the problem. The CBS will still not reset the oil monitor. $150 down the drain for a new sensor. Oh well, at least I have a spare...

I cringe and decide to take it to the dealer (please understand this is an unnatural act for me). I took my car to BMW of Sterling. They did a great job (but expensive) when the AC compressor blew up at 85K 4 years ago.

I told the SA, I'm a car guy, do all my own work, blah, blah, (I think they actually hate when you do that - but he was cool about it), and said I'll pay for a 1-hour diagnostic charge ($168), but I don't want to get into a wild goose chase. They've not seen an E90 with the miles my car has at 225,000. He calls about 3 PM. So get this:

According to the shop Forman, who is working on my car, at 300,000 Kilometers (180,000 miles) the CBS oil change monitor system is PROGRAMMED TO STOP WORKING!. I said WTF??????? He said yup, strange isn't it. I said WTF???? All they can do is code out the service-due message so it doesn't keep popping up every time I start the car (at no additional charge). Okay, thank God for that, but WTF?????? I've asked for the documentation from BMW so I can truly see for myself. The SA says he has it for me.

I get the car back tomorrow; they couldn't code it out today. I did get a free loaner out of the deal. It's a 2012 335i F30 and it's the WORST BMW I have ever driven.

I'm flabbergasted...
At least I've got something to look forward to in 60,000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
keving33
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 325xi

Usual BMW service like in pittsburgh
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
cliffschum
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330

CBS Oil reset

I now have the same issue. BT enthusiast tool tells me that:

Control module responded with "Conditions are not correct" this can be caused when there is a fault stored in one of the related systems

But, but, I checked and don't have any faults !!

Was able to reset my brake fluid CBS today, but not the oil, so I know my unit is still operational..

Has anyone tried the latest BT software level 1.8.6.6 ? Does it correct this issue ? I have 1.8.5.1 installed, but based on several of the posts here, I am afraid to upgrade.....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffschum View Post
I now have the same issue. BT enthusiast tool tells me that:

Control module responded with "Conditions are not correct" this can be caused when there is a fault stored in one of the related systems

But, but, I checked and don't have any faults !!

Was able to reset my brake fluid CBS today, but not the oil, so I know my unit is still operational..

Has anyone tried the latest BT software level 1.8.6.6 ? Does it correct this issue ? I have 1.8.5.1 installed, but based on several of the posts here, I am afraid to upgrade.....
How many miles do you have on the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
cliffschum
Private
Rep

CBS - oil reset

Sorry, 122K miles.

The German auto shop that did the work could not reset it with their BT Pro either.

I've contacted BT and asked their opinion. They don't think the software upgrade will help.

Just reread your post. I would love to see BMW documentation that CBS stops working at 180,000 miles. That is ridiculous, so absurd.

Last edited by cliffschum; 10-02-2013 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, 122K miles.

The German auto shop that did the work could not reset it with their BT Pro either.

I've contacted BT and asked their opinion. They don't think the software upgrade will help.

Just reread your post. I would love to see BMW documentation that CBS stops working at 180,000 miles. That is ridiculous, so absurd.
It will reset through the turnsignal stalk. I'm not yet able to comment on the other issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
cliffschum
Private
Rep

CBS Oil reset

Yes, I was able to reset via the stalk, now reads 19,000.

fyi, here is reply from BT Tech Service:

The BT tool does not yet support the engine oil reset on the MSV70 engine unit. We intend to add that support, but we have not had the necessary information to add it yet. You will likely need to to it manually. There are instructions for doing so on our wiki page: http://wiki.bavariantechnic.com/inde...S#Manual_Reset.

Owen Sutton
Diagnose Technic
888-854-5523
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I was able to reset via the stalk, now reads 19,000.

fyi, here is reply from BT Tech Service:

The BT tool does not yet support the engine oil reset on the MSV70 engine unit. We intend to add that support, but we have not had the necessary information to add it yet. You will likely need to to it manually. There are instructions for doing so on our wiki page: http://wiki.bavariantechnic.com/inde...S#Manual_Reset.

Owen Sutton
Diagnose Technic
888-854-5523
I reset my car using the BT scan tool at least 10 times and I have the MSV70 ECU. My BT tool is the pro version. I do want to point out the BT tool reported a false DISA valve issue on my Z3. I finally scanned it with a generic OBDII scan tool and found the trouble code to be the cam position sensor. To be fair, my Peak scan toll didn't report it either.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

So just to follow up with this thread. After the trip to the dealer, where it was discovered the CBS Oil Service system is designed to stop working after 300,000 kilometers (186,000 miles), BMW has not yet fixed the issue.

I waited 4 months to post this because I wanted to give BMW a chance to fix it and post the whole issue including BMWs resolution of it (just to be fair). Also, I erased my post that originally told about the situation with the software (my post can be found however in post #11) because I didn't want BMW to read it before they had a chance to do something about it. However, since BMW has decided it's not important to them to solve the issue, I've decided to post about it.

I posted this yesterday in a separate new thread found here.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926864

It may seem like I have an axe to grind because I've posted about it in three separate places, but I want to make sure if someone else has the same problem, they can find it by searching.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #20
shanes
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi ZSP, H/K, iDrive

My 2011 328i is at 185,000 now and I’m kind of expecting this. Is there still confirmation that this is still known to happen even on the LCI cars? I’m thinking of resetting everything this week to hopefully prevent a non reset situation after 186k.
Anyone else past 186,000?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:24 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanes View Post
My 2011 328i is at 185,000 now and I’m kind of expecting this. Is there still confirmation that this is still known to happen even on the LCI cars? I’m thinking of resetting everything this week to hopefully prevent a non reset situation after 186k.
Anyone else past 186,000?
The software fix has been out on the internet for a few years now. Any BMW dealer can apply the correction as well.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #22
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

So a bit off to the side of topic: Anyone figure out to reset the oil change light and then not have it advance a year? I change mine on a schedule of less than a year, so right now, since the last one in July, I am still at 2020 for my oil change light. I haven't reset it the last time I changed in Mar, but wondering if there was a definitive answer to this? Obviously if I trust the oil for a year in stop-and-go traffic then I'm fine, but otherwise....
Appreciate 0