E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > e90 Non idrive to CIC/Combox or NBT ?!

11-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
Sir_Dave
Asset Finance Broker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91 335i

e90 Non idrive to CIC/Combox or NBT ?!

Currently in the process of tinkering with my early e90 (not the e92 in my avatar, sold that in April).

It came without idrive or bluetooth, but has USB in the armrest and professional radio/hifi speakers. Original intention was to fit the newer bluetooth professional radio, but well, spec creep ...

Have now fitted the idrive dash and necessary CIC trims etc, so effectively pondering which media system to actually fit!

CIC & Combox, seems to be about £650/£350 for cic/screen/controller and combox inc. wires etc (id buy one with the FSC/firmware etc already done). Easy enough to do, every man and his dog has written a guide on how to do it.

NBT. The actual unit/screen/controller is far cheaper, circa £495 inc. DAB/NAV/Combox etc, but then you need an emulator which is about £400. Plus some wires and you are looking at about a grand as well.

CIC/Combox seems a bit easier, proven methods etc, but well, the NBT is alot newer!!

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

CIC/Combox will be easier to sell on as it's the system that should be in the car class (E9x not F3x)
      11-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

NBT for me. CIC is a 10 year old system now and it shows when comparing to the newer systems. Definitely not worth a £1000!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

You could go the OEM route however there is a 3rd option. You can buy an all in one android screen devices that fit into the OEM Screen slot in the dash. They are stand-alone I believe and come with a various skins including NBT. Worth a look. There is a thread on this forum somewhere.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329331...ceBeautifyAB=0

The never android 7.1 are much better than the older ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 05:08 AM   #5
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
You could go the OEM route however there is a 3rd option. You can buy an all in one android screen devices that fit into the OEM Screen slot in the dash. They are stand-alone I believe and come with a various skins including NBT. Worth a look. There is a thread on this forum somewhere.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329331...ceBeautifyAB=0

The never android 7.1 are much better than the older ones.
+1... probably better than any cic or nbt imo 🙂. And super easy to install.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
Alpina 91
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina D4 F32

How easy do you think it would be to fit these android units to a non I drive car?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
Sir_Dave
Asset Finance Broker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina 91 View Post
How easy do you think it would be to fit these android units to a non I drive car?
I think they do different versions, one if available for non-idrive cars.

Personally, im an Apple man, so Android is more Chinese to me than a Dynavin.
God those units were terrible in the e46's, im sure they are better now, but wouldnt touch one with a bargepole personally

I ended up going for CIC - Combox & bluetooth retrofit wiring just turned up, so will be doing that over the weekend.

Panic time.

Untitled by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

All done.

Untitled by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Well done. Looks good. When I was looking to buy an E92 I made my mind up to only look at cars with idrive because I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t. I didn’t really know much about idrive but knew if it didn’t have a screen in the photos not to bother looking at it further. It took a couple of weeks after buying my car to realise I’d bought a ccc car that had been upgraded with a cic system with all the com box and Bluetooth installed. You can imagine my delight when I discovered this. I only found out because I was looking at more up to date sat nav discs and wondering why I didn’t has a second dvd slot and my screen display was different to the ones in their adverts. Silly when I look back on it but if you don’t know you don’t know.
I have since had a play about with my mates ccc system in his e60 and now know how lucky I am. Ccc feels ancient in comparison, probably like cic is to nbt but not used one of them so don’t know.
Appreciate 0