E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Replaced battery now airbag light code 93b2?! HELP :(

08-12-2020, 07:06 AM   #23
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Auto, Sport

This fault came back for me the other day, on the cluster it showed CCID code 97 (holding down the BC button in 'check control'). Also had 93b2 code.

Disconnected battery, Unplugged little connector, reset pins and applied dielectric grease, plugged connector back in, reconnected battery, cleared codes on INPA, and good to go.

Note the male side connector towards the inside of the car, attached to the top of the battery, can be removed to reset the pins, there is a tab that clicks in place underneath the connector. Use a light to find the little tab, and small screwdriver to push the tab to release.
      05-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #24
trehman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Same issue...

2007 / BMW 335I / California
Had to jump start the car 2 weeks back (left the lights on overnight ugh) and after 2-3 days later, the airbag / seatbelt light came on. Took it to my local repair shop and code was 93B2(37810): ZK10/SaFETY BATTERY TERMINAL>NOT CURRENTLY DETECTED. ABOVE MAX. THRESHOLD: WARNING LAMP ON.

I had him clear it and will look into it further if it comes back. I am assuming when the battery was charged, something with the cycling completely went wrong. Happy to hear suggestions. If this comes back up, I'll need to dig into the wiring connection and/if seatbelt sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #25
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by trehman View Post
2007 / BMW 335I / California
Had to jump start the car 2 weeks back (left the lights on overnight ugh) and after 2-3 days later, the airbag / seatbelt light came on. Took it to my local repair shop and code was 93B2(37810): ZK10/SaFETY BATTERY TERMINAL>NOT CURRENTLY DETECTED. ABOVE MAX. THRESHOLD: WARNING LAMP ON.

I had him clear it and will look into it further if it comes back. I am assuming when the battery was charged, something with the cycling completely went wrong. Happy to hear suggestions. If this comes back up, I'll need to dig into the wiring connection and/if seatbelt sensor.
Anytime the airbag light on my 2010 E90 comes on, I get under the passenger front seat and disconnect the yellow connector. Obviously with car off. Wait a minute, reconnect and clear the code. It’s a temporary fix and it triggers every 4-6 months. I know the real fix is to replace the sensor or whatever but I would rather just do this than spend the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 09:38 AM   #26
geco0ol
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d E91 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Just to help anyone with this problem I manage to solve it by changing the connector by soldering the wire to XT30 connector. Before you determine if this method work, you need to measure the resistance first. If you look at the picture above, the connector I remove is the the yellow connector that's in a black casing. Take the yellow connector out and remove the pin from the connector. You can do this using a small flat screwdriver and press down the pin and pull out. Measure both removed pin and if the resistant is around 2 - 6 ohm then you have no problem with the BST fuse. There are 2 problem that exist here. First is the pin connection is loose where bending it might tighten the connection. Another problem is there is a metal in the black plastic jacket that will short both pin if it's not inserted properly to another connector. If you read 0 ohm from the INPA, most likely this is the problem. To resolved this loose connection or shorted pin issue, just splice the wire and connect using XT30 connector. Then just clear the error code with INPA or any third party tools that can clear the error code.
Thanks for sharing this !!!
In my case the plastic casing of the bst 2 wires connector failed to lift the shortcut, so my reading was 0 ohm. After fixing, I was able to clear the airbag error with a simple inexpensive Vgate adapter via bimmerLink.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 02:26 PM   #27
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
This below picture has been my final solution. Because after I had fixed it by cleaning the contacts with contact cleaner spray and spreading the pins a bit to make better contact, a year later with winter same code came back.
Then I wrapped it tight pushing into the female side on the BST with electrical tape. No codes ever since.
It is the black electrical tape on the picture. Ignore the small piece of blue painters tape left over from while doing battery replacement (2nd one) Battery is out in the picture as you can tell.
An update, after 5 years the code came back. When I checked, the tape I had wrapped around that pushes the connector in tight by time had stretched and wasn't tight enough. Removed the tape, rewound with fresh electrical tape, cleared the code and good again.
This is if you have connection problem on the connector at BST, i.e. not the very early E90 versions that have a pig tail coming out of the BST.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 10:21 AM   #28
nky
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Just to help anyone with this problem I manage to solve it by changing the connector by soldering the wire to XT30 connector. Before you determine if this method work, you need to measure the resistance first. If you look at the picture above, the connector I remove is the the yellow connector that's in a black casing. Take the yellow connector out and remove the pin from the connector. You can do this using a small flat screwdriver and press down the pin and pull out. Measure both removed pin and if the resistant is around 2 - 6 ohm then you have no problem with the BST fuse. There are 2 problem that exist here. First is the pin connection is loose where bending it might tighten the connection. Another problem is there is a metal in the black plastic jacket that will short both pin if it's not inserted properly to another connector. If you read 0 ohm from the INPA, most likely this is the problem. To resolved this loose connection or shorted pin issue, just splice the wire and connect using XT30 connector. Then just clear the error code with INPA or any third party tools that can clear the error code.
How do you remove the yellow connector from the black casing?

I've attached pictures of what my connector looks like. It's the same one you're talking about, correct?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 08:41 AM   #29
Zoosoup
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 330d 2008

Thanks everyone who posed here, sorted my 93B2 by bending the pins out, see attached pic
Name:  Battery.png
Views: 568
Size:  182.5 KB
Appreciate 1
jsunma652.00
      10-05-2023, 09:47 AM   #30
nky
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

This is how I measured the resistance on my old style BST connector:

1) Use a small flat headed screwdriver to push the black clip up until you hear a click (red arrow in the attached picture is pointing to the black clip)

2) Use the screwdriver to push the yellow connector sideways out of the black housing (green arrow is where I pushed on the yellow connector)

3) Set your dial on the voltmeter to resistance and put 2 needle probes against the 2 stranded wires (orange arrows in the 2nd picture are pointing to them).

If you don't have needle probes, you may need to depin the terminals before you measure the resistance. To depin them, use a SIM removal tool or a paperclip to push down on the clip (see blue arrows) and pull the corresponding wire backwards. The clip will hit the 2nd stop (see orange arrow). Push down on the clip again and pull the corresponding wire backwards and out of yellow connector.

I initially measured 0.6 to 0.7 ohms and noticed it sometimes went up as high as 6 ohms when I moved the wire. I tried wiggling the connector on the BST side and pushing it in. Then I measured the resistance again and it was around 1.2 ohms so I think I had a loose connector on that end. I taped the connector so it couldn't move, cleared the 93b2 error in INPA, and it seems to be working now.
Attached Images

Last edited by nky; 10-05-2023 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 11:15 PM   #31
DALEY928
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i

Hi, I currently have this problem on my '05 e90 330i. Red seatbelt & airbag lights in dash, code says it's the BST.

As per nky's post above, I have the old style BST terminal. Pulled everything apart. When the twoi wires are plugged into the yellow tyco connector above, I read 0.3 Ohm across the orange terminals.

However, when I remove the wires from the yellow connector, I read 2.3Ohm across the two wires.

I've tested this multiple times and it's always the same.

Does this mean there is a short of some kind within the connector? Could this be the reason the code is being thrown?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:49 PM   #32
Mirus
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEY928 View Post
Hi, I currently have this problem on my '05 e90 330i. Red seatbelt & airbag lights in dash, code says it's the BST.

As per nky's post above, I have the old style BST terminal. Pulled everything apart. When the twoi wires are plugged into the yellow tyco connector above, I read 0.3 Ohm across the orange terminals.

However, when I remove the wires from the yellow connector, I read 2.3Ohm across the two wires.

I've tested this multiple times and it's always the same.

Does this mean there is a short of some kind within the connector? Could this be the reason the code is being thrown?

Thanks
When you remove the cables and measure, you are measuring the resitance in the other end. I guess its the airbag module.
When the wires are inserted, but connector is not connected to the BST, the wires are shorted inside the connector (airbag safety measure mentioned earlier in this topic) so now you are measuring lower resitance because its a short there.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 12:50 PM   #33
Boutle
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 325i

Hi all

Can anyone help please. Today I changed the battery on my 2008 325i e93. All seemed to go well and used BimmerCode & bimmerlink to change battery details and register it respectively.

I was careful uncoupling the IBS connector and taking the BST off. However (you know what's coming!&#128512, all of a sudden, seat belt light and airbag lights came on either fault message on the screen. This has never happened before out of all the times I've had batteries in and out of the car. I ran the BimmerLink to check faults and all that came up was: 93B2 , ZK10/safety battery terminal.

I've read a few posts here and elsewhere but I'm still stuck what to do. No airbags have gone off and no tensioners have fired so perhaps I dislodged a wire on the BST arrangement.

I'm not sure how to get the plugs out of the connectors to clean connections and I'd like some guidance here please to avoid breaking things with photos for clarity if possible or links if they're already here somewhere. - sorry about this!

Based on my explanations of events; what do you think I've most likely done? I can't see see any snapped wires or any dangling out of where they should.

Also as an aside, I attempted to clear the codes a few times but it persisted so I assume the issue is still physically present.

As I said, apologies for not finding the requisite info if it's already here and exasperating anyone. 🙂
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 02:18 PM   #34
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutle View Post
...I was careful uncoupling the IBS connector and taking the BST off. .. check faults and all that came up was: 93B2, ZK10/ safety battery terminal...
There are TWO wires that run from MRS (Multiple Restraint Module) to the BST (Battery Safety Terminal) that can "Trigger" or fire the pyrotechnic device in the BST in event of frontal collision, to prevent electrical fire in engine compartment (it only disconnects power to Jumpstart Terminal, Alternator & Starter).

The MRS module tests that circuit and sets the fault code, along with seat belt & airbag warning lights on Instrument Cluster, if the resistance gets too large (OPEN Circuit in the wiring). The Connector is likely Loose or connector & wiring are damaged. This connector (two wires) is toward front of Battery & (+) Battery Terminal, and NOT related to IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) which is located on Negative Battery Terminal at Rear of Battery.

Don't worry about the connector being loose. It will NOT cause the MRS to fire airbags, belt tensioners, etc. The MRS gets signals from "Crash Sensors" on front & Sides of vehicle that trigger certain "Pyrotechnics", and that BST Connector is on the OUTPUT side of the MRS. It ONLY triggers the BST if a Crash sensor INPUT tells MRS to send a particular Output. No power to MRS with Igniton OFF, Key OUT, for one minute or more. Any Capacitor is discharged after 60 seconds.

Just replace/repair the two-pin BST connector and warning lights should go off. Clear MRS Code. Like "Nothing ever happened".
George
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 02:54 PM   #35
Boutle
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
There are TWO wires that run from MRS (Multiple Restraint Module) to the BST (Battery Safety Terminal) that can "Trigger" or fire the pyrotechnic device in the BST in event of frontal collision, to prevent electrical fire in engine compartment (it only disconnects power to Jumpstart Terminal, Alternator & Starter).

The MRS module tests that circuit and sets the fault code, along with seat belt & airbag warning lights on Instrument Cluster, if the resistance gets too large (OPEN Circuit in the wiring). The Connector is likely Loose or connector & wiring are damaged. This connector (two wires) is toward front of Battery & (+) Battery Terminal, and NOT related to IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) which is located on Negative Battery Terminal at Rear of Battery.

Don't worry about the connector being loose. It will NOT cause the MRS to fire airbags, belt tensioners, etc. The MRS gets signals from "Crash Sensors" on front & Sides of vehicle that trigger certain "Pyrotechnics", and that BST Connector is on the OUTPUT side of the MRS. It ONLY triggers the BST if a Crash sensor INPUT tells MRS to send a particular Output. No power to MRS with Igniton OFF, Key OUT, for one minute or more. Any Capacitor is discharged after 60 seconds.

Just replace/repair the two-pin BST connector and warning lights should go off. Clear MRS Code. Like "Nothing ever happened".
George

Hi George. Is the connector you reference sat on top of the battery? If so, how do I unplug it? I'm having difficulty and don't want to break it. Orrrr is the connector the one which sits on the +ve battery terminal and again, if so, how do I unplug it?
Cheers
David
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:57 PM   #36
Boutle
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi George. Is the connector you reference sat on top of the battery? If so, how do I unplug it? I'm having difficulty and don't want to break it. Orrrr is the connector the one which sits on the +ve battery terminal and again, if so, how do I unplug it?
Cheers
David
So just to be as clear as I can; are we talking about the tiny connector attached to the end of the pyrotechnic device because I can't get this off. If it does indeed come off; how is it removed?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 11:05 PM   #37
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
So just to be as clear as I can; are we talking about the tiny connector attached to the end of the pyrotechnic
device because I can't get this off. If it does indeed come off; how is it removed?
Just to be clear: Without Photos of YOUR BST Connector, X1770, as shown in attached ISTA ScreenPrint, I DON"T KNOW.

Different Models, produced at different times, for different world markets, had DIFFERENT BST Trigger wire connectors/
Locations. Some were near the Positive Battery Post. Others were at inboard side of battery near front, as shown in attached.
I don't work at a shop and have NOT inspected BST Trigger Connectors on multiple E9x models. I just know there are
DIFFERENT locations for those Connectors shown in the Photos of different models.

What the attached wiring diagram shows is TWO wires, one Yellow, and the other Black, at a connector X1770. The Connector View
for 2008 325i ECE Model shows MORE than 2 sockets (5 or 6), but ONLY TWO wires. Also attached is a ScreenPrint from Bentley
Manual showing a small 2-wire connector on the Positive Battery Terminal. Unfortunately, that's ALL I know, and
as every good attorney advises his client: If you don't know, say "I don't know". Sounds too simple in today's BS Society.
George
Attached Images

Last edited by gbalthrop; 02-28-2024 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 04:07 AM   #38
Boutle
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi George, thanks for your reply. Appreciated 🙂. I was beginning to think it was time I added some photos of the whole thing 😀.
However, in the interim, yes, from the pics u supplied, I'm asking about the X1770 plug and how to unplug it, PLUS, on the diagram of the BST, it's item 2 I'd like to know how to actually unplug to check for connection quality in both cases.

It has to be something regarding an electrical connection that I've disturbed and quite possibly one of those two sockets coz the dash lights have never come on b4 I'd removed & refitted the Power Distribution Box off the top of the old battery & attached it to the new one.
I'll take pics asap today.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 08:28 AM   #39
Boutle
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi George, thanks for your reply. Appreciated 🙂. I was beginning to think it was time I added some photos of the whole thing 😀.
However, in the interim, yes, from the pics u supplied, I'm asking about the X1770 plug and how to unplug it, PLUS, on the diagram of the BST, it's item 2 I'd like to know how to actually unplug to check for connection quality in both cases.

It has to be something regarding an electrical connection that I've disturbed and quite possibly one of those two sockets coz the dash lights have never come on b4 I'd removed & refitted the Power Distribution Box off the top of the old battery & attached it to the new one.
I'll take pics asap today.
How do I add /post photos!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 10:21 AM   #40
Boutle
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok. Here's latest. I don't know how to post photos on here. Can I do it direct from iPhone?

I managed to unplug the x1770 plug apart pulling the black/yellow female part out and squirted switch cleaner in.
I couldn't get the little plug off the back of the BST thing though (the bst igniter plug). So all I could do was squirt cleaner.

Suffice to say, the seat belt & airbag lights along with the fault warning are still displayed.

I really need help guys. I'm out of work due to having to look after mum with severe dementia and can't afford to go to a BMW Indy garage never mind the stealers. Btw, I've had the car since 2017 when times were better.

Does this need a whole new part to fix ?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 11:04 AM   #41
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

Tried it on Android and looks like you have to click switch to desktop site.

Click on "Go Advanced" below text field and then down in following page

There is a "Manage Attachments" option, click that and upload your photos

Use an online resizer to reduce 3000+p phone images down to 700-900p

with locked ratio and you should be posting images in no time.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 11:33 AM   #42
Boutle
United Kingdom
Rep

Pics of battery etc

Hope my photos are visible now!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 12:10 PM   #43
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

When installing my new battery I noticed some of the wires could have easily been pinched while lowering because the correct battery is freaking heavy.

Are you certain no wires were damaged during the install?

When installing the new battery which terminal did you connect first?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 12:11 PM   #44
Boutle
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bims328i View Post
Tried it on Android and looks like you have to click switch to desktop site.

Click on "Go Advanced" below text field and then down in following page

There is a "Manage Attachments" option, click that and upload your photos

Use an online resizer to reduce 3000+p phone images down to 700-900p

with locked ratio and you should be posting images in no time.
Cheers!
Appreciate 0