E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni FSD?

07-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
rpmsongs
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sedan

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Smile Koni FSD?

Ok, So, my car needs shocks, struts, and "bushings".

1 which bushings would you suppose they mean?

2 I'm pretty sure I want the koni FSD, for the money it seems like a great product, but I'm undecided on getting the shorter springs, or keeping the stock springs. From what I've read on here the stock springs and ride height isn't bad paired with these shocks/struts. What are your thoughts?

About to start ordering stuff. Besides the koni kit, what else will I need? front and rear Mounts? Are they specific? or do other brands work as well?

Bellows? Basically, what else does one need for this swap? Thanks Guys and Gals!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
How many miles?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
rpmsongs
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
How many miles?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

You probably need just struts and shocks. For the struts on the front use OEM strut mounts. For the rear shocks use Monroe 907984.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmsongs View Post
At a minimum I would replace all the suspension mounts:

2 x Front upper mounts
2 x Rear lower shock mounts
2 x Rear upper shock mounts
Spring pads (all)

This will ensure from a suspension point of view your car is brand new. I went with OEM components that didn't have the BMW logo/packaging. Many sites offer these same parts but a lower cost. I know for me personally I couldn't stand the idea of trying to save a bit of cash and reuse old mounts/bushings. See my garage for a pic of what I'm talking about when I did my suspension refresh. The pic includes front M3 arms, tie rods and sway bar links which can be done later if you wanted.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:

2 I'm pretty sure I want the koni FSD, for the money it seems like a great product, but I'm undecided on getting the shorter springs, or keeping the stock springs. From what I've read on here the stock springs and ride height isn't bad paired with these shocks/struts. What are your thoughts?

About to start ordering stuff. Besides the koni kit, what else will I need? front and rear Mounts? Are they specific? or do other brands work as well?

Bellows? Basically, what else does one need for this swap? Thanks Guys and Gals!

Now look rpmsongs, those FSD's are designed specifically for BMW Sport or Performance springs. If you have non-sport springs you won't like the result - bouncy bouncy! Be sure - get the right stuff.

About bushings - mech's referring to suspension arm bushings, which are oil filled. Look for the black goo o'doom on those for failed bushings. You can of course replace with same, new, but you'll be rewarded every time you drive if you install M3 arms. [click here] and while you're reading that, you'll notice info on a LSD.

Hmmmmm. LSD. Ya gotta wonder.....could that enhance a ride?

Oh, and LSD or no LSD........DO install M3 Rear Subframe Bushings........not hard; good + inexpensive upgrade.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 07-29-2015 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

325ix doesn't need LSD
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'd actually go with the Koni Yellow since they are adjustable and actually priced less, so you are getting more value for money.

If you really have no interest in adjusting then the FSD will suffice and you could always mate them with something like Eibach pro kit but nothing that puts the ride any lower.

If there is one thing I don't like about FSD is that lack of adjustability. Some people say it rides great and others say its too bouncy. That's why I always recommend the Koni yellow instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
325ix doesn't need LSD

xi? ix? Man, I don' know what I'm doin'....

Never mind. Still....FSD's a popular choice for all wheel drive....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 07-29-2015 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
rpmsongs
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Thank you guys so very much! I'm gonna spring for the springs as well. Having just dropped cash on a down payment I can't go for the coil overs this time. Ya'll rule.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #11
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmsongs

You have several bushings on your car. In the rear alone, I think there at least 6 pair if not more.

Ball joints, toe links, subframe bushings etc.

The bushings themselves aren't all that expensive, it's the labor to install them that will get ya.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #12
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Thank you guys so very much! I'm gonna spring for the springs as well. Having just dropped cash on a down payment I can't go for the coil overs this time. Ya'll rule.
I hate to rain on your parade but please read some more in the XI section. Great deal of info there on making suspension changes and unique-to-XI issues.

1. Have to agree with Jeff on Koni Yellows vs FSD. Many many people get the FSD and regret it.

2. You did not say which springs you are getting but be aware XI stock springs are very stiff and tall compared to almost any aftermarket springs. What this means is if you get say Eibach pro-kit that says it will lower the front 1.2" (or whatever) on XI it will lower more like 2"+ or more and the rear even lower. Lowering XI's is not trivial and there are many quirks.

3. FSD marketing is one thing, real world another. If you never see bumps or rough roads or drive aggressively maybe they work well. They advertise "best of both worlds" technology, which is really nothing new. This just means they have blow off valves inside that open above a certain fixed level of damping force. All shocks have these. A well-designed shock matches valve-closed damping to valve-open damping so there is some consistency and predictability to damping force for a driver who doesn't want to get surprised.

But the way FSD's do it is to have in a sense mismatched shock damping to blow off force curves, ie very aggressive damping curve when the valve is closed to feel firm for controlling body roll and dive/squat, and blow off valves that open much sooner that would normally be the case for a traditional shock valved that way. So you get a "race" shock when closed and essentially a blown shock or no shock when open.

In practice that means you have very firm shocks and suddenly you have very soft shocks. Often just exactly when you want neither or the opposite.

All this gets even more complex when you consider how much stiffer stock OEM XI springs are vs most aftermarket, and the greater amount of lowering you'll get with them. They may feel too firm just riding around and suddenly bottom out on a bump.

You may end up getting the FSD anyway, just be aware that a lot of folks regret it and have to buy Yellows instead. The Yellows are much better product IMHO, and excellent value, plus you can adjust to your liking as you get more familiar with the car. Basically FSD Are a something of a gimmick "the worst of both worlds", Yellows are real performance shocks.

Last edited by ajsalida; 08-03-2015 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
I hate to rain on your parade but please read some more in the XI section. Great deal of info there on making suspension changes and unique-to-XI issues.

1. Have to agree with Jeff on Koni Yellows vs FSD. Many many people get the FSD and regret it.

2. You did not say which springs you are getting but be aware XI stock springs are very stiff and tall compared to almost any aftermarket springs. What this means is if you get say Eibach pro-kit that says it will lower the front 1.2" (or whatever) on XI it will lower more like 2"+ or more and the rear even lower. Lowering XI's is not trivial and there are many quirks.

3. FSD marketing is one thing, real world another. If you never see bumps or rough roads or drive aggressively maybe they work well. They advertise "best of both worlds" technology, which is really nothing new. This just means they have blow off valves inside that open above a certain fixed level of damping force. All shocks have these. A well-designed shock matches valve-closed damping to valve-open damping so there is some consistency and predictability to damping force for a driver who doesn't want to get surprised.

But the way FSD's do it is to have in a sense mismatched shock damping to blow off force curves, ie very aggressive damping curve when the valve is closed to feel firm for controlling body roll and dive/squat, and blow off valves that open much sooner that would normally be the case for a traditional shock valved that way. So you get a "race" shock when closed and essentially a blown shock or no shock when open.

In practice that means you have very firm shocks and suddenly you have very soft shocks. Often just exactly when you want neither or the opposite.

All this gets even more complex when you consider how much stiffer stock OEM XI springs are vs most aftermarket, and the greater amount of lowering you'll get with them. They may feel too firm just riding around and suddenly bottom out on a bump.

You may end up getting the FSD anyway, just be aware that a lot of folks regret it and have to buy Yellows instead. The Yellows are much better product IMHO, and excellent value, plus you can adjust to your liking as you get more familiar with the car. Basically FSD Are a something of a gimmick "the worst of both worlds", Yellows are real performance shocks.
Well said
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 07:25 AM   #14
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

another great option are the bilstein b6, very high quality construction and very high quality damping.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #15
rpmsongs
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
These?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._cd_al_qh_dp_i

I apologize that my profile gave you the impression I had an xi. I have the 325i. All good advice though. I decided to wait a week or two to replenish some savings before depleting it on this upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post

I can attest to this experience. And add to it that over time as the shocks become more worn, you essentially feel like you are riding on blown shocks. The only positive is damping is quite good when going around corners.
      08-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Agree with the consensus on the yellows over the regular ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #18
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Agree with the consensus on the yellows over the regular ones.
+1

Figure out what springs you want first, then make sure the dampers can control them. I bought FSDs then ditched them for yellows.
Appreciate 0