E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > e93 n55- Replacing sport suspension with non-sport suspension.

05-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
coolcaeser
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335i convertible

e93 n55- Replacing sport suspension with non-sport suspension.

so my struts were leaking, and I got all 4 (front struts + rear shocks) changed with Bilstein4, since he said that Bilstein are new OE suspension and cheaper/last longer than OE Sachs one.
Once he put i, I started feeling the road more and even on a slightest bump, I would feel my car jumping more. The mechanic said that's normal for bilstein suspension because my sports car original ride is bumpy. I believed him, and didn't worry about the bumpy ride thereafter.

now it's been 6 months with 8k miles already on it, now I went to a different mechanic to get my tire change, he noticed that the previous shop put in non-sports suspension even though my car has sports package, and he says that maybe because of that, I have a bumpy ride.

I went back to the suspension guy and he says that struts/shocks doesn't make a ride bumpy and if he replaces it with the sports one, then I would feel even more bumpiness and roughness.

So my question is, is he saying truth? and putting up non-sports on sports car, is all ok? or should I pressurize him to replace it with sports one?
Also if I do get him to put sports, then will my car become more rough?

I have a convertible E93 with N55 engine with sports package (not M sports).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
coolcaeser
United_States
Rep

I think he must have used the non-sport bumpstops (will ask him in a day or two). he also changed the two front control arms.
by jumpiness, I meant, even on a minor bump, I would feel the bump as if it was a big one. I also feel the rough roads more as compared to my original ride. Since it's a local shop, so he did not give me the list of all the components that he replaced during suspension change, but I can ask him.
If I force him to replace my suspension with sports one, do you think it might make my ride better, especially on bumps/rough roads?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
coolcaeser
United_States
Rep

Any other suggestion anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Sounds like possibly incorrect bumpstops or a bad install. Maybe the control arms weren't preloaded and are twisting? That's certainly not normal. The only time I've gotten the loud 'crunch' on potholes and bumps is when I was too low and had almost no bump travel off of the stops. I raised my front end 19mm and it rides like a dream even though I'm still significantly lower than stock.
Appreciate 0