E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > any xdrive guru's in here? i think i have a broken transfer case "motor"

02-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #23
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
I've got the ABS, 4x4, DSC errors on my 07 328xi. BavTech scans error as something like "Transfer case-clutch position unknown" or something close to that. As some have noted, I wonder if it's this motor mentioned above. The part isn't too severely priced (although it still is pricey) on getbmwparts for $370. That part comes up for a 5 series, but I understand they all use the same part (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). If you search 3 series on getbmwparts, it only lists the whole transfer case.

Blacksail (or anyone else who has done this), did you replace the motor? How hard was it? How many hours to do? Did you have to drop the transfer case, or could you get to it without removing exhaust, heat shields, transfer case, etc.?

Also, the only thing I can think of (instead of ABS controller or transfer case) is that my intelligent battery sensor wire is broke at my battery. I need to put a new connector on it. I don't know if this is related to my 4x4 issue (and I can't recall if something happened to IBS to cause this 4x4 problem), but maybe? Anyone know?

BTW, my car makes NO grinding noises at all. It acts as if it were just a 2wd drive car. No noises, grinding, etc. from transfer case.
Have you tried Adjusting the "Steering angle sensor?" You need to do this when you reconnect a battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I have tried adjusting steering angle sensor (turned wheels lock to lock) to no avail. I have also cleared all codes using BavTech tool, and then error still pops up (the transfer case clutch position unknown errror). I can't recall if I've checked all the fuses. I think I have but I can re-recheck.

I think it may be that servo motor. Has anyone changed theirs? Can you get to it without removing the transfer case?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #25
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have tried adjusting steering angle sensor (turned wheels lock to lock) to no avail. I have also cleared all codes using BavTech tool, and then error still pops up (the transfer case clutch position unknown errror). I can't recall if I've checked all the fuses. I think I have but I can re-recheck.

I think it may be that servo motor. Has anyone changed theirs? Can you get to it without removing the transfer case?
Hmm. You have to search for it in the BavTech tool. I think it is under Power Steering. (I'm really not sure if this helps, but in the opening screen sellect the MSD80/MSD81 and at the bottom the DXC or the top one with the X, can't remember the last letter, but definitely not DSC.) I'm not sure if clearing all the codes does the trick, but after I found the "Steering angle sensor" somewhere and clicked (send) it asks to align the steering wheel straight ahead. After you align the wheel as straight as possible and click (continue, I can't remember exactly, it will tell you to cycle the ignition off then on.) After this, all three errors disappeared on my display.

I found out about doing this from the Bentley Manual, and hoped it would get rid of all the issues after installing an oil cooler retrofit, (Dinan,) and it did. It is part of the reinitializations you need to do after reconnecting the battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #26
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I've never had to reinitialize my power steering....do you have active steering?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I've never had to reinitialize my power steering....do you have active steering?
No, but on page 121-12 of the Bentley Manual "Battery reconnection notes" the third item is "Steering angle sensor" "Adjust..."

I think I found it under the Power Steering section of the Bavarian Technic tool. (Although I took a part a whole bunch of stuff in the engine compartment and my family was wondering if the car would even run after what I did, this procedure cleared all these errors, and it makes sense. Without steering angle sensor properly set how can traction control work, which works in conjunction with AWD and stability control.)

I believe xis don't have active steering, it is only available on the non AWD models.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #28
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Please note, clearing the codes doesn't mean they won't pop up again if you don't reinitialize the sunroof for example. I think an error pops up about the anti-jam feature if you don't follow the initialization steps after reconnecting the battery.

You could possibly find someone with a Professional cable around who would be willing to let you use it for a small fee and not just buy it.

(There are some interesting bugs in the system. While I was trying to put back my original front bumper from an M aero bumper I had to change the fog light connectors. I decided to plug one fog light bulb and test if I did it properly. In this setup with one fog light bulb connected and the other not, I got a TPM error message inside the car. Upon connecting the other foglight bulb the TPM error went away.)

Last edited by jzchen; 02-17-2011 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Bug noted.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #29
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep

I've got the BT tool (just the enthusiast, or whatever the non-coding one is). Can you do the align steering with that version of BT? I can give that a try as it will be worth it to see as opposed to replacing servo motor (whihc I am prepared to do, just want to figure this out). I've also got the Bentley so I'll look it up in that.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #30
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've got the BT tool (just the enthusiast, or whatever the non-coding one is). Can you do the align steering with that version of BT? I can give that a try as it will be worth it to see as opposed to replacing servo motor (whihc I am prepared to do, just want to figure this out). I've also got the Bentley so I'll look it up in that.
I don't know for sure because I have the pro, but you better be able to otherwise I'd feel the enthusiast version is not very useful at all! I think it's a common task to disconnect the neg cable of the battery!!!! Coding is something more like if you were to replace a DME I believe. Go to page 121-12 in the Bentley manual to see all the stuff you should do just for disconnecting the neg cable, (this is electrically the same as removing and installing a battery, but you have to register this UNIQUE BATTERY if you replace it with another one!)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #31
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep

I see that now in the Bentley about adjusting it. So, even though steering wheel sensor error does not come up in BT (my no-coding BT cable), the steering wheel stills needs to be reset? Gosh, if that is it that would be sweet! I'm still not hopeful, but hey, who knows.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #32
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see that now in the Bentley about adjusting it. So, even though steering wheel sensor error does not come up in BT (my no-coding BT cable), the steering wheel stills needs to be reset? Gosh, if that is it that would be sweet! I'm still not hopeful, but hey, who knows.
Just do it!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #33
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Alright, I had the chance to check where exactly to find the Calibrate steering angle sensor is in the Bavarian Technic tool.

1st

BMW 3-Series E90-E91-E92-E93 2005-2009

2nd

select

MSD80/MSD81 for 325i (N53), 335i FOR YOUR 328XI I THINK YOU WOULD CHOOSE "MSV80 for 328i"

and

DXC

click "OK"

Click "+" next to "Dynamic Stability Control (DXC)

If you select "Information" something should come up, otherwise go to "File" -> "Start over" and this time around select the DSC instead of DXC.

Click "Commands"

Click "Send" next to "Calibrate steering angle sensor"

Window opens saying to Align steering wheel to within 2 degrees of straight ahead. Reset Run Flat per owners manual. Fault codes will clear automatically. when complete cycle ignition

Align wheel as straight as you can. Select "Yes"

I didn't even do the Run Flat part.

To cycle ignition without depressing the brake pedal. I think you have to press the Start Stop button 4 times. (1 to accessory mode, 1 to off, 1 back to accessory mode, 1 back to ignition on.)

If you want you can try "Erase Fault Codes" under "Dynamic Stability Control (DXC)" but I don't think this is necessary.

Sorry I had the wrong section. I usually work late at night after my 5 yr. old boy goes to sleep otherwise he likes to help me. Sometimes I don't remember exactly where things are.

Last edited by jzchen; 02-21-2011 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: DIFFERENT SELECTION FOR DIFFERENT MODEL
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #34
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! I'll give this a try in the morning. We'll see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #35
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, so I tried calibrating steering sensor. BT enthusiast (the cheap, 3 VIN version) does have this function as you noted above. Did it per your instructions, but it didn't fix problem. I think it's that servo motor. Dang! I was hoping this would work. My error comes up as soon as you start the, without moving it or putting it in gear, moving steering wheel, etc.

BTW, when I scanned errors using BT tool, I did not have a steering wheel sensor error, but I still have that transfer case error - clutch position unknown error. Cleared all errors, started car, and scanned again and transfer case error still comes up (as well as the Christmas tree set of lights on dash).

Well, it was worth a try. Car runs and drives fine, albeit in 2wd and no ABC, no DSC, etc. Just have to see if I want to replace transfer case to get rid of errors.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #36
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
... Car runs and drives fine, albeit in 2wd and no ABC, no DSC, etc. Just have to see if I want to replace transfer case to get rid of errors.
so you could drive this on a daily basis even if the transfer case blows??
      02-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #37
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't know if you can drive it if transfer case blows. All I know is that I've been driving this car for over 6 months like this and it seems fine. No whining, crunching gears, grinding noises, etc. are coming from transfer case. I figure that maybe the servo motor is out so that 4wd is not engaging and it's just allowing front drive shaft to spin freely as it's not engaged.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #38
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay, so I tried calibrating steering sensor. BT enthusiast (the cheap, 3 VIN version) does have this function as you noted above. Did it per your instructions, but it didn't fix problem. I think it's that servo motor. Dang! I was hoping this would work. My error comes up as soon as you start the, without moving it or putting it in gear, moving steering wheel, etc.

BTW, when I scanned errors using BT tool, I did not have a steering wheel sensor error, but I still have that transfer case error - clutch position unknown error. Cleared all errors, started car, and scanned again and transfer case error still comes up (as well as the Christmas tree set of lights on dash).

Well, it was worth a try. Car runs and drives fine, albeit in 2wd and no ABC, no DSC, etc. Just have to see if I want to replace transfer case to get rid of errors.
Don't worry. After they changed my ECU from MSD80 to MSD81, I found I can not code in my professional BT tool! (I was interested to see what they programmed my speed limiter to be, and I think the setting is in the coding section. After contacting them it doesn't sound like I'll be able to code anytime soon either!) Did you cycle from ignition on to ignition off back to ignition on after clicking "Yes"?

This is really strange, because these errors all came up with me even though I didn't touch the bottom of the car, and they all went away after the steering angle sensor adjustment... I had reset the clock and date, renitialized the sunroof, made sure the one touch operation of the windows worked,... I hope you didn't fry the transfer case running in 2WD mode, (kind of like you were towing the car incorrectly as a bad analogy.)

Last edited by jzchen; 02-22-2011 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: Poor spelling
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #39
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
.... I hope you didn't fry the transfer case running in 2WD mode, (kind of like you were towing the car incorrectly as a bad analogy.)
exactly what i was thinking
      02-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #40
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
Don't worry. After they changed my ECU from MSD80 to MSD81, I found I can not code in my professional BT tool! (I was interested to see what they programmed my speed limiter to be, and I think the setting is in the coding section. After contacting them it doesn't sound like I'll be able to code anytime soon either!) Did you cycle from ignition on to ignition off back to ignition on after clicking "Yes"?

This is really strange, because these errors all came up with me even though I didn't touch the bottom of the car, and they all went away after the steering angle sensor adjustment... I had reset the clock and date, renitialized the sunroof, made sure the one touch operation of the windows worked,... I hope you didn't fry the transfer case running in 2WD mode, (kind of like you were towing the car incorrectly as a bad analogy.)
Did you get those errors after reconnecting the battery?

My car always gives me a 4x4, ABS, DSC, etc errors when I reconnect my battery. I just drive off and they go away after everything reinitializes.

I've never had to manually reinitialize my steering wheel.

OP, I don't think your doing any damage to the car. When our car is off, the front wheels spin freely when they are off the ground....the rear does not. So it only engages when slippage is detected and power needs to transfered to the front axle.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #41
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not concerned about doing damage as it's been this way for over 6 months. There are no grinding, crunching, or any noises at all coming from transfer case. In fact, if ABS worked as well as cruise, you would never know it wasn't a 2wd drive car. I looked up on TIS about changing the motor on the TC, and it seems real straight foward: unplug electrical connections at TC, remove one bolt, then remove the 3 bolts that hold it on. Put on new o ring, and then put motor back in and hook it up. I figure it's the motor and when the weather warms up, I'll look at replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #42
hfxbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

They had to replace three sensors, not exactly sure which ones were actually busted.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #43
blacksail337
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi

if there's any way you could find out and let us i know i'd REALLY appreciate it, i would imagine a few sensors would be much cheaper than the servo motor and hopefully thats whats wrong with mine and orangedawgs cars as well,

i did a BT scan tonight and got the following codes

Transmission distribution module (transfer case)
5462:
Error actuator or increased power requirements fpr clutch
Error will not cause a warning light
Error is not currently present
Test conditions have not been completed

Dynamic stability control DXC8 Plus - E90
5F3A:
Clutch gearbox-ECU: VG-clutch defective-clutch is open-rwd!
Error will cause a warning light
Error is not currently present
Test conditions have been completed

Transmission control unit
51B0:
DSC Signal not plausible: Brake pressure signal
Error will not cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Test conditions have been completed

i think it's wierd that the one says the cars currently rear wheel drive when it's not
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #44
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Did you get those errors after reconnecting the battery?

My car always gives me a 4x4, ABS, DSC, etc errors when I reconnect my battery. I just drive off and they go away after everything reinitializes.

I've never had to manually reinitialize my steering wheel.

OP, I don't think your doing any damage to the car. When our car is off, the front wheels spin freely when they are off the ground....the rear does not. So it only engages when slippage is detected and power needs to transfered to the front axle.
Yup, except I didn't drive the car. (In fact it happened once and I didn't even disconnect the battery. I had just gotten the car back from having the Performance Power Kit installed. The next morning it came up when I had the BT tool connected. I did the adjusting of the steering angle sensor and noted down how I did it to report here.) I had just put the car back together from retrofitting an oil cooler. It would come up whenever I started. After I adjusted the steering angle sensor the errors no longer came up.

I also noticed the front wheels spin freely when the vehicle is up. This is an interesting view about how the system works. Does anyone know for sure whether it is safe to drive the car like this/with these errors?
Appreciate 0