E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > increase in fuel consumption 335d

02-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #111
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

picked mine up today n will fit tmmrw.

the new one is almost impossible to blow through where as the old one isnt. At least the new one doesnt taste of antifreeze....
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #112
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Fitted mine this morning. Cant say its made much difference but to be fair I've only done school trip today.

Bit early to tell TBH
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #113
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

well after 2 days of testing the temp after fitting the egr stat I have to say its made f'kall difference.

Highest I can get too is 78/79 degs which is pretty similar to the old one. Only thing it may do is warm up slightly faster but probably not enough to ever notice.

Years ago you could drop something infront of the rad to help but not possible now.

Left Derby along the A50, went to Notts up the M1, through some busy traffic for about 10 miles then over to Ikea at Kimberley then back down the M1 off at the A50 turning for 8 miles & home. 45mpg. ( four up) Could have got 48 if I was trying. Don't know how these 320's struggle to get over 40 ??
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #114
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylad View Post
picked mine up today n will fit tmmrw.

the new one is almost impossible to blow through where as the old one isnt. At least the new one doesnt taste of antifreeze....

Quote:
well after 2 days of testing the temp after fitting the egr stat I have to say its made f'kall difference.

Highest I can get too is 78/79 degs which is pretty similar to the old one. Only thing it may do is warm up slightly faster but probably not enough to ever notice.
Obviously the EGR 'stat was failing if you can blow through it. But like many engines, the main 'stat is also running low temperatures. Appears a lot of engines do run mid 80's, but top 70's is on the very low side. Are the figures the peak you get while working reasonably hard, or trundling around in traffic?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #115
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

just steady (up to 2k revs letting the car change at earliest opportunity) driving which is fast enough 90% of the time

I think the faster it goes the cooler it gets as you end up featheing the throttle at say 90 down a hill so the engine is hardly using fuel & the wind chill on the radiator is having max effect.

Still think the heater is pretty poor compared to my transit. That will just about burn you if you hold your hand over the vent which may suggest the beamer mave have an air in the heating system but if it had I would have thought the temp would have been running hotter due to the air ingress / less cooling effect.

Be interesting to see what happens when I tow the caravan so maybe 79 degs is a good starting point.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #116
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
just steady (up to 2k revs letting the car change at earliest opportunity) driving which is fast enough 90% of the time

I think the faster it goes the cooler it gets as you end up featheing the throttle at say 90 down a hill so the engine is hardly using fuel & the wind chill on the radiator is having max effect.

Still think the heater is pretty poor compared to my transit. That will just about burn you if you hold your hand over the vent which may suggest the beamer mave have an air in the heating system but if it had I would have thought the temp would have been running hotter due to the air ingress / less cooling effect.
Both thermostats are often compromising the coolant temperature. Constant lows are more an indicator of the main 'stat, whereas very slow warm ups with higher peaks and erratic fluctuations in coolant temperature, are more the EGR 'stat, from how the evidence is building up.

Also don't forget Climate Control is more gentle in warm up anyway, even if the system is warming as fast as possible.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #117
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Did a journey of 8 miles to work, its 6.5m dual carriageway 40-80 then 1.5m traffic, couple of stop starts. my car just got to 80 when i parked. Coolant when i set off was 16.

On way home its the above journey but vice versa. It got upto 91. But ot was trying to regen given the engine revs. Coolant temp was 22 when when i set off.

I did notice my coolant temp go down when going down off ramps to dual carriageways by 3-4c, when i was coasting and under no/little accerlaration.

My cars sept 2006 build with 84k miles.

My egr stat need replacing?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #118
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Well, took my car on a 100mile round trip. this time it heated up but would cool down a few C's when off throttle goin quickish down hills. This was before getting to 70C. my car would eventually get to 76C and then go betweeen that and 80C depandant on load and speed.

How much is it to replace main stat at an indy? Do i really need it? Do i really need egr stat? That will cost me 50quid me thinks.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #119
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

Mine is doing exactly that it spends most of its time around 73...took it off today and you can blow through so I think its knackered! Took about 10-15 mins to remove with a few simple tools! I ordered a new one today from stealer €37 + o ring, should have it by wed...so hopefully will get it in asap! If you don't change it you risk DPF trouble as the coolant temp must exceed 75 degrees for regeneration to take place...mpg should also increase when replaced!
      11-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #120
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I checked mine today too

83-85c but it did drop going downhill

I think if it doesn't get past 76 you have a problem. Mine reached temp after about 10 mins.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #121
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Does anyone know why fuel consumption increases when the coolant isn't hot enough...surely a cooler engine is better...how can 20degrees say 70 instead of 90 make such a difference!
      11-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #122
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

A warm computer is more efficient than a cold computer.

A warm muscle is more efficient than a cold muscle.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #123
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post
Does anyone know why fuel consumption increases when the coolant isn't hot enough...surely a cooler engine is better...how can 20degrees say 70 instead of 90 make such a difference!
Diesel engine efficiency is (in part) influenced by the correct cylinder temperatures. You can be too cold and in effect chill the charge, this changes the flame burn. If you were able to accurately monitor the exhaust, without a DPF, you'd likely find there is more smoke.

It is also most likely that a low temperature is influencing other control strategies, as you are not up to the working temperature.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #124
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Egr thermostat arrived today...so hope ill fit it tonight...re
sults to follow