E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Terrible Cylinder 2 misfire. Cannot correct. Ideas?

08-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Terrible Cylinder 2 misfire. Cannot correct. Ideas?

I've got a bad cylinder 2 misfire...replaced injector, plugs, coil. Swapped then around, totally isolate to #2. Heavy white smoke out exhaust.

Car fires right up...idles up smooth and 5 seconds or so in it starts vibrating and idle drops, assuming DME shutting down the cylinder due to flooding out. Only codes I get no matter what I do are 29CE P0203...misfire cylinder 2 and cylinder 2 misfire detected respectively.

Replaced the plug. Previous was badly fouled with fuel. All other plugs look good. New plug quickly fouled up...same thing. One side or 1/4 of the white tip was still white while the rest dark burned up. Again...tip soaked in fuel.

Looked down the cylinder and can see fuel settled (cylinder at the top of the stroke).

No oil loss or coolant that I can see. I replaced the VC and VCG within the last 15k. Car was running amazing with no sign of this coming.

Checked PCV and replaced the hose at the VC. Checked all connections, hoses etc. Again... The only codes I'm getting are the two related to cylinder 2. Clear codes and check engine light comes back within minutes of starting.

Running an MHD tune custom e60 map. Car is stock turbos replaced at 78k with 99k on the car now. Fmic, walbro in line. Fuel pressures are all solid. No long cranks. Basic AFE dci, PE exhaust.

Oil changed every few thousand miles religiously. Plugs changed less than 5k ago. Walnut blasted at 78k when turbos were replaced under extended warranty. The injectors were index 7 and 9 mix. Replaced with brand new oem index 12. Coded it via INPA.

Very concerned this is something catastrophic. Hoping for the best, of course. Getting it towed of to local dealership for diagnosis. Doubt I will have them actually fix but know they'll be able to determine what is wrong quickly and the SA at the dealer is super solid so no worries.

Anyways...thought I'd share this and welcome any thoughts, suggestions or we'll wishes. I've had the car since late 2012 and I'm still in love with it despite the considerable amount of money and time spent repairing things. Just really praying I haven't lost compression and/or have internal issues.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers
      08-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Did you try stock tune with 91/93? Still misfire?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
About to try that but it's pretty severe so not sure if that will make a difference. Will report back, however as I'm about to go back to stock since I'm taking it to the dealership. Not under warranty but do have a couple months left on my turbo replacement 2 year warranty..

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate all input. This has been a terrible week of stress/anxiety and nearly sick to my stomach fearing the worst.

Thankfully my dad is loaning me his bad ass Hellrot e36 M3 so it's not all that bad. Track ready and rock solid. Will post a pic!
      08-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
My "loaner" thanks to my awesome pops. So grateful!!
Attached Images

08-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
dgvithoulkas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i 6A/T

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
I've got a bad cylinder 2 misfire...replaced injector, plugs, coil. Swapped then around, totally isolate to #2. Heavy white smoke out exhaust.

Car fires right up...idles up smooth and 5 seconds or so in it starts vibrating and idle drops, assuming DME shutting down the cylinder due to flooding out. Only codes I get no matter what I do are 29CE P0203...misfire cylinder 2 and cylinder 2 misfire detected respectively.

Replaced the plug. Previous was badly fouled with fuel. All other plugs look good. New plug quickly fouled up...same thing. One side or 1/4 of the white tip was still white while the rest dark burned up. Again...tip soaked in fuel.

Looked down the cylinder and can see fuel settled (cylinder at the top of the stroke).

No oil loss or coolant that I can see. I replaced the VC and VCG within the last 15k. Car was running amazing with no sign of this coming.

Checked PCV and replaced the hose at the VC. Checked all connections, hoses etc. Again... The only codes I'm getting are the two related to cylinder 2. Clear codes and check engine light comes back within minutes of starting.

Running an MHD tune custom e60 map. Car is stock turbos replaced at 78k with 99k on the car now. Fmic, walbro in line. Fuel pressures are all solid. No long cranks. Basic AFE dci, PE exhaust.

Oil changed every few thousand miles religiously. Plugs changed less than 5k ago. Walnut blasted at 78k when turbos were replaced under extended warranty. The injectors were index 7 and 9 mix. Replaced with brand new oem index 12. Coded it via INPA.

Very concerned this is something catastrophic. Hoping for the best, of course. Getting it towed of to local dealership for diagnosis. Doubt I will have them actually fix but know they'll be able to determine what is wrong quickly and the SA at the dealer is super solid so no worries.

Anyways...thought I'd share this and welcome any thoughts, suggestions or we'll wishes. I've had the car since late 2012 and I'm still in love with it despite the considerable amount of money and time spent repairing things. Just really praying I haven't lost compression and/or have internal issues.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers
Assuming it's not an internal issue.. I had some problems when I replaced all my plugs, coil packs, and injectors. Persistent misfire on cylinder 2, wouldn't go away. Got to the point my car sounded like a 2-stroke. I ended up pulling everything and looking at the injector I noticed the plastic o-ring may have not been seated right when the injector was installed so when gas touches the plastic piece and that makes contact with air the piece oxidizes within minutes. Upon inspection it was completely gone. I had extra from when I bought the set of injectors so I replaced that. After replacing my car ran perfectly. Look into that and make sure that the code numbers are correct. Post back with details
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #6
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgvithoulkas View Post
Assuming it's not an internal issue.. I had some problems when I replaced all my plugs, coil packs, and injectors. Persistent misfire on cylinder 2, wouldn't go away. Got to the point my car sounded like a 2-stroke. I ended up pulling everything and looking at the injector I noticed the plastic o-ring may have not been seated right when the injector was installed so when gas touches the plastic piece and that makes contact with air the piece oxidizes within minutes. Upon inspection it was completely gone. I had extra from when I bought the set of injectors so I replaced that. After replacing my car ran perfectly. Look into that and make sure that the code numbers are correct. Post back with details
Hey thanks for the reply! This is interesting. Were you getting smoke out the exhaust? I didn't pull the injector after installing it so perhaps I didn't get it in there right? The cylinder is flooded though... Was yours flooding and did your plug come out wet/fouled? It is at the dealership now. I will share this with the SA and ask that they make sure to check my injector install. I double checked my coding job and it was correct.

I appreciate the insight and will be sure to report back when I hear something. Crossing all digits that this isn't nightmare situation.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
smitty513
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

well it's either injector or DME. You confirmed that it's fuel filling up cyl 2 correct? Might've coded it wrong. I have only coded injectors via ISTA enter it, and it'll be off. I know they vary a tad bit after entered but they were drastically different (eg. 563210 becomes 591899). That cylinder will misfire. I've also seen wiring harnesses issues specifically with bank 1 misfires. My money says it's a DME/software issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #8
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Injector value was only off by .02.

Perhaps the dme is getting old? I flashed back to stock map and got the same issues.

We shall see. Thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
smitty513
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Usually when these DMEs crap out, the resistors that control the injectors fail. Good luck man
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
jazredgt
Estoril Tings
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
anything new? I have the same exact issue. just finished swapping injector on nr2. have already swapped new plugs in and swapped the coil pack with nr1 and same issue. in fact it is now worse. now I immediately get a cylinder 2 misfire. before it would take a few minutes of idling or driving. now it's a few seconds after starting the car.

2020 X3M - Stock
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167292
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #12
jazredgt
Estoril Tings
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
I see. Damn fuckin bad luck!! Im going to boroscope mine on Monday.

2020 X3M - Stock
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 08:58 PM   #13
xdrivvve335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Question Had this also just happen to me

Ik this thread is old but just wanted to contribute bc future people also will have this problem.

After a day of multiple 100+ mile per hour pulls from a dead stop I hit a pothole really hard and cyl 2 came back with a horrible misfire. I also came back with multiple codes, the only one I remember is P0302. The other codes were for running lean even tho exhaust gasses smelled really rich. Cyl 2 sparkplug was caked with carbon. Not sure what it is yet but I bet on it being a messed up injector. Oil also had a gasoline smell to it but can't figure out why.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 03:14 PM   #14
slow335is
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Any Update?

Been having a fueling issue and misfire as well. I saw your oil smelt like gas? any further information on that?
Appreciate 0