E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DME Damaged. Need help please.

02-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
YnnoJ420
Always Learning
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

Garage List
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
DME Damaged. Need help please.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and I'm currently in a bind.. I have a 07' 335I and its currently dead in the driveway. At first it was due to having a dead battery and a bad MAP sensor. I replaced the MAP sensor (Part No. 13627585492) and changed the battery to a Duralast from auto zone. After replacing both the sensor and battery, my DME is now giving me a ton of error codes and wont even start. (turns but wont start)

2D1D: Accelerator-pedal module, Pedal-Position sensor 1, Voltage Supply
30BA: Injectors 1,2,3 or DME, internal fault
30BB: Injectors 4,5,6 or DME, internal fault
2F63: Brake-light switch, plausibility
2CFC: Throttle valve, start check
2D09: THROTTLE
2C74: Oxygen sensor 2 after catalytic converter: Signal
2E7C: BSD bus Communication fault
2F4A: Interface EWS-DME
2ACB: DME master relay, Activation

I figured swapping out the battery for a duralast wouldn't be an issue if I just reset the adaptations of the DME. Any input on my situation would greatly help out. Thank you!

FYI; My 335i is not heavily modded, just an oil catch can and a cowl delete. (guessing if it isnt the battery, that the cowl delete might have gotten some water into the DME since its been storming here in the bay area. If cowl delete is the issue, is their any way to water proof the DME box?)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnnoJ420 View Post
...07' 335I and its currently dead in the driveway. At first it was due to having a dead battery and a bad MAP sensor. I replaced the MAP sensor (Part No. 13627585492) and changed the battery to a Duralast from auto zone. After replacing both the sensor and battery, my DME is now giving me a ton of error codes and wont even start. (turns but wont start)...
Welcome to the Forum!

Looking at ALL the codes you list, the general impression is a failure of the power supply to the DME. The LAST code seems most important. Its Definition in Bentley is:
P0686 | 2ACB | ECM Power Relay Control Circuit Low
That is referring to the "DME Relay" or "K6300" in the TIS Circuit Diagram linked below.

That same BMW FC, "2ACB" can also mean "circuit high" but the P-code would be P0687, so if your scan tool/ software ALSO gives the corresponding P-code (as INPA does), OR you have a P-code reader, check to see if that is P0686 or '7?

Need to know your Build Date (Month/Year) as circuits & fuse designations were changed for 2007 vehicles built 3/1/2007 or later. Here is the DME Relay circuit and Installation Location for those later 2007 vehicles:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/x1zko9v
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...relay/IROpqxeg

I assume you have a multimeter and know how to test for voltage using that circuit diagram. If NOT, you can get a multimeter from HFT for $6 and if you have any questions about testing, please post back.

If further diagnostic help is needed, please indicate the following:
1) When did the car last start and run correctly?
2) What work was done on the car since it last ran correctly other then battery replacement & Sensor replacement?
3) When replacing the battery, did you reconnect the blue connector from the IBS to the BSD bus connector, just above the negative battery terminal? That being disconnected would account for the 2E7C Fault.
4) The codes for Brake Light Switch and Post-Cat O2 sensor on Bank 2 seem unrelated to the "Crank but No-Start" issue. Did you check Freeze Frame Data for mileage (and Engine RPM & Temp) when each code was saved?
5) What scan tool/software do you have, or have access to, for reading codes, FF Data, and Parameters?

George
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #3
YnnoJ420
Always Learning
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post

If further diagnostic help is needed, please indicate the following:
1) When did the car last start and run correctly?
2) What work was done on the car since it last ran correctly other then battery replacement & Sensor replacement?
3) When replacing the battery, did you reconnect the blue connector from the IBS to the BSD bus connector, just above the negative battery terminal? That being disconnected would account for the 2E7C Fault.
4) The codes for Brake Light Switch and Post-Cat O2 sensor on Bank 2 seem unrelated to the "Crank but No-Start" issue. Did you check Freeze Frame Data for mileage (and Engine RPM & Temp) when each code was saved?
5) What scan tool/software do you have, or have access to, for reading codes, FF Data, and Parameters?

George
Hi George!

So the last time I the car was running properly, was around October. The last work I did on the car was change the oil housing gasket, valve cover gasket, an oil catch can, and the BMS cowl filters. I also changed it to a new IBS connector and made sure it was connected when installing the battery. As for my scan tool/software I used is protools.

So quick update. I pulled out my DME to find that condensation and moisture from recent storms drenched inside of the DME box along with the sensors in it due to the cowl delete. The connector to the DME was soaked and a pool of water was forming in the plastic of the DME... (live and learn I guess...) I threw the DME into the oven for a brief moment to dry it out. Use a mutimeter to the DME and saw the mosfets wasn't shorted. I put the DME back into my car and it started, but ran extremely rough. I scanned it and this is the results.

Name:  N54.jpg
Views: 5698
Size:  33.9 KB

I've actually been looking for the DME layout everywhere so I can at least know exactly what values the mosfets should be. Thanks a lot George! Ill update you tomorrow with the build date.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
YnnoJ420
Always Learning
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Update; I suspect that its the pin connectors that was throwing off the DME. Thanks to your link Gorge , I was able to trace each code to the pins assignment at the plug connector.

Pins: x60001 Temp sensor
Pins: X60002 Oxygen Sensors after cat 1 & 2
Pins: X60005 Throttle and Throttle Valve adaptation value
Pins: X60007 Possible reason for BSD Signal activating Water pump randomly.

At each assigned pin that the codes were giving, there was slight corrosion on the pins due to the water damage to the DME. I cleaned off the pins the best I could, now I need to clean up the wiring connectors to the DME and pray that it idles properly.. Ill give an update the moment I put the DME back into the car
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #5
YnnoJ420
Always Learning
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Update; Just put back the DME back on after cleaning the connectors and the car started up. Its still throwing me codes but definitely on the right track.

Name:  N54_2_22_2019_2.jpg
Views: 5633
Size:  28.3 KB

The car is still running extremally rough but at lease most of the codes are gone. Any advice on the surging for the THROTTLE and the Throttle-valve adaptation value would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

I don't know anything about Pro Tool, but the screen you show appears to be the rough equivalent of "Functional Jobs/Fehlerspeicher" in INPA that shows Fault Codes in ALL modules in the vehicle, WITHOUT DEFINITIONS.

Is there a way to get Pro Tool to connect to the DME Module, and give you MORE information about the codes saved in that module, such as CODE DEFINITION, Mileage/km when code saved, and other Freeze Frame Data such as engine RPM & Temp. ALL that information is actually saved in your DME at the moment, and INPA could read it (as well as displaying the corresponding P-code). The INPA code definitions are in German, but there's always Google Translate. Perhaps someone who has used Pro Tool for DIAGNOSTICS a LOT could explain what Pro Tool is capable of, and also indicate if it has the ability to read Parameters and do Activations as INPA can.

A generic P-code reader and Bentley would give you more information than what is shown on the screen you posted, and here's why:

A) There are FOUR (4) different P-codes for the ONE BMW FC "2CFB":
1) P1632 | 2CFB | Throttle Valve Adaptation Conditions Not Met
2) P1633 | 2CFB | Throttle Valve Adaptation Limp-Home Position Unknown
3) P1644 | 2CFB | Throttle Valve Adaptation Relearning Lower Mechanical Stop
4) P1694 | 2CFB | Throttle Valve Actuator Start Test Spring Test and Limp-Home Position Failed

So if you don't know how to get more specific code Definitions & FF Data using Pro Tool, you could get more diagnostic clues just hooking up a P-code reader to the OBD II socket.

Here is the Bentley Definition for "2D09":
P1417 2D09 Throttle Control Incorrect Air Supply

I'm NOT familiar with the Throttle Valve function, particularly on the N54 engine, but there seems to be a mechanical or electrical fault in that valve or its connector/wiring. Here's the TIS circuit diagram for the Throttle Valve (Y63900 on right side of schematic):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/xGTqLXk

I would begin by cleaning ALL pins & sockets in connector X6390 at the Throttle Valve, and if the issue persists after that, revisit DME Connector X60005 & clean pins/sockets #14, 15, 16, 36, 37, 38.

INPA has the ability to monitor Trottle Valve (DrosselKlappe) position in real time (Parameter) in F5, Status. It can also Activate the Throttle Valve in F6, Steuern to test function. There are TWO (2) variable resistors or feedback potentiometers in the Throttle Valve whose combined voltage output should be ~ 5.0V and INPA allows you to read those values to see if there is an internal fault in the valve electronics causing "implausible" signals which do NOT add to 5.0V.

ANYONE know if Pro Tool has either capability? I have this "old-man" concept of a laptop being a tool, and an iPhone being a toy. If anyone can "disabuse" me of that concept with current facts, please do.

Please let us know what you find,
George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 02-23-2019 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Update; Just put back the DME back on after cleaning the connectors and the car started up. Its still throwing me codes but definitely on the right track.

Attachment 1996438

The car is still running extremally rough but at lease most of the codes are gone. Any advice on the surging for the THROTTLE and the Throttle-valve adaptation value would be greatly appreciated!
key out
floor gas pedal and keep there
insert key
turn on ignition (all lights, including check engine light on, engine not running)
wait 30 seconds
remove key
let gas pedal off
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
key out
insert key
turn on ignition (all lights, including check engine light on, engine not running)
wait 30 seconds
remove key
let gas pedal off
So we understand When/Why to apply this procedure, (1) is this to reset Throttle Valve Adaptation, or something else? (2) Are there particular known instances where such a reset is necessary? AND (3) do you have a reference to TIS/BMW TM/ Bentley/ISTA, etc. procedure that prescribes this?

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
YnnoJ420
Always Learning
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
key out
insert key
wait 30 seconds
remove key
let gas pedal off
Ran the Throttle Body reset procedure and now the car is running like a champ again! Idles perfectly!

Happy that its back on the roads, but theirs still a few codes that needs work,

2E7C: BSD bus Communication fault
2A13: DMTL leak diagnosis pump, activation

And the dredded 30FF codes.. (maybe time for new turbos???)

Thanks for the feed back everyone!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #10
YnnoJ420
Always Learning
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
ANYONE know if Pro Tool has either capability? I have this "old-man" concept of a laptop being a tool, and an iPhone being a toy. If anyone can "disabuse" me of that concept with current facts, please do.
I just enjoy the convenience of having it on my phone or tablet with access to internet if my car ever craps out on me on the road. I actually do have a laptop with IMPA installed. I'm still learning about IMPA and a bit intimidated because 1. I know that IMPA can be a powerful tool to scan/program and I wouldn't want to damage my car because of my lack of knowledge about IMPA. 2. Its all in Germen which could be a bit confusing. Once I become more familiar with IMPA I'll definitely use it, but for now ProTool is pretty simple and straightforward for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

No need to be cautious with INPA. It's a diagnostic tool, not a programming or coding tool. You can't hurt anything with it.

But most of the diagnostic messages will be in German - nothing you can do about that.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
....I actually do have a laptop with IMPA installed...
One of the many things you can do with INPA is "Selectively Delete/Clear
Adaptations." That Function (for my 328xi with MSV80 DME) is "F8" after
you connect to the DME. To ONLY clear Throttle Valve Adaptations I would
select F6, Drosselklappe, in the Adaptations Menu (see attached). If you were
wanting to really give up & "start over," there is always "Alle Adaptionen" (Shft+F9)
Google Translate is your friend to understand the technical terms in German:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

Note the "Activation Conditions" / Aktivierungsbedingung at the top of page:
Engine off (RPM/Drehzahl = 0) and Ignition (Terminal 15) ON (Klemme 15 Ein).
You will see similar "Conditions" in any of the Activations screens (F6). As
others have suggested, you can't hurt anything using INPA, as you are NOT
doing any programming or coding. The EXCEPTION to that rule would be using
Activations, or anything where you are "overriding" module control of a
particular component such as a pump motor, fuel injector, etc. which MAY
affect engine operation.

The way I got familiar with INPA was to save Menu screens in jpg format and
translate those screens so I understood the correct technical definitions of
components & functions. I then saved each screen showing data/Activations
in a separate folder for each Control Module (DME, EKP, DSC, etc.) so I had a
reference for INPA capabilities when/if I needed to diagnose/test something.
The "Good News" about INPA is that it can give you a LOT of data or testing
capability to diagnose issues. The "Bad New" about INPA is that we don't have
any "Manual" to refer to to learn those capabilities -- we have to learn by use,
and create our own reference materials.

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 05:26 PM   #13
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
No need to be cautious with INPA. It's a diagnostic tool, not a programming or coding tool. You can't hurt anything with it.

But most of the diagnostic messages will be in German - nothing you can do about that.
Not completely true, INPA is pretty safe but you can screw thing up.

Adaptation resets need to follow a procedure. Such as resetting your throttle adaptation will require a leaning procedure. Not a big deal but if you are not prepared it can be a problem.

Also transportation mode can be a pain.

EWS features need some caution as well.

There's are several versions of INPA out in the wild and the best are still in full German. That can make things a little more challenging for those just getting started.

Edit: throttle adaptation on the N54, valvetronic on the N52 are just examples.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #14
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Absolutely,you can inconvenience yourself.

But you cannot make permanent changes that are unrecoverable or require addition software to recover from. And it takes a concerted effort through several layers of menu choices to make change in a parameter that sticks through a on/off cycle (example injector settings).
Appreciate 0