E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coded 6FL, but no new options on screen

05-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
PhilipUK
Going topless
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i, MX-5, RCZ R

Garage List
Question Coded 6FL, but no new options on screen

My 2011 E93 335i came with a combox (S6VCA), but without the USB audio socket (S6FLA) in the centre armrest.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, it should be an easy addition - just get the correct cables (for USB and Aux In sockets), run them from the combox to the centre console, and then code it.

I've got the cables, but despite having used NCS Expert to add $6FL to the VO (in both CAS and NFRM), I am not getting any additional audio input options on the screen.

Am I missing anything obvious? Is there anything else that I need to do?
      05-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Did you code the CIC Unit to the new VO?
      05-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
PhilipUK
Going topless
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks.

No, I hadn't. But I have now - and it's all working!
      07-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
m1keyboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320D 2011

Hey PhilipUK,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself. Do you have a link to the cables you purchased to get this working?

Cheers,

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
PhilipUK
Going topless
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hi Mike

This is the one that I got. It worked fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173302554194

Or did you mean the cable that goes from the combox to the centre console? If so, I got it from user ptpending on here - if you drop him a PM, he'll let you know if he can supply one.
      07-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipUK View Post
Thanks.

The simple things. Glad you got it going.
      07-30-2018, 03:42 AM   #7
toby_2028
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 320D E90 LCI 184HK AT. M-Sport

Posted Wrong Place And Can't Delete It, Sorry

Last edited by toby_2028; 07-30-2018 at 03:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 03:44 AM   #8
toby_2028
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Posted Wrong Place And Can't Delete It, Sorry
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 03:47 AM   #9
toby_2028
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipUK View Post
Thanks.

Hi PhilipUK

Great post. I also have the combox, internet and all of it, but is missing only the USB under the armrest.

Can you provide links to the cables, plugs and parts you used. Can you allso provide code instruktion. I have NCS expert, INPA and the rest of the BMW software. I can code myself, but have only coded the Alpina gearbox firmware and some minor COMBI and light mods, so I am not a pro.

Thanks

I attached a picture of my combox and its empty plugs.

After this upgrade, is BMW apps then posible? 

Car: 2/2011 E90 320d 184hk M-Sport.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #10
m1keyboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320D 2011

Hey toby,

I asked PhilipUK a similar question via PM, so may be able to help.

He got the necessary cables from a user on here called ptpending. I've PM'd him to see if he can give me a price, but he's not replied yet. However, I got another interim solution working which may help you. FYI - I've got a 2011 320D, and my combox looked the same as your picture before I started.

First, I purchased these cables:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best...17f74c4dHkMqDp

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Seri...17f74c4dHkMqDp

For the coding part, I used NCS Expert and followed this video -

A couple of notes on that:
  • When editing the VA's, I only added $6FL. I did not change my build date (which was set to 0311). I added this both to CAS and NFRM
  • At around 2:40, he writes his changes to the CIC ECU. You will also have to repeat this step, but for the MEDIA ECU as well
Then, connect the USB adapter to your combox. For this, you'll have to get a sharp knife and remove the bottom right fin on the green fakra connector. It came off fairly easily on mine. You can leave the fin at the bottom intact.

That's all I had to do - I now have the USB input option, and album art etc. works fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #11
toby_2028
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1keyboy View Post
Hey toby,

I asked PhilipUK a similar question via PM, so may be able to help.

He got the necessary cables from a user on here called ptpending. I've PM'd him to see if he can give me a price, but he's not replied yet. However, I got another interim solution working which may help you. FYI - I've got a 2011 320D, and my combox looked the same as your picture before I started.

First, I purchased these cables:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best...17f74c4dHkMqDp

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Seri...17f74c4dHkMqDp

For the coding part, I used NCS Expert and followed this video -

A couple of notes on that:
  • When editing the VA's, I only added $6FL. I did not change my build date (which was set to 0311). I added this both to CAS and NFRM
  • At around 2:40, he writes his changes to the CIC ECU. You will also have to repeat this step, but for the MEDIA ECU as well
Then, connect the USB adapter to your combox. For this, you'll have to get a sharp knife and remove the bottom right fin on the green fakra connector. It came off fairly easily on mine. You can leave the fin at the bottom intact.

That's all I had to do - I now have the USB input option, and album art etc. works fine.
Nice.. Thank you so much. I might do a guide my self and post it.
Like i wrote, I have coded Alpina Gearbox software, and i made a propper guide for it. If your car is an automatic, I highly recommend doing the flash. Let me know if you are interested, the I will PM the guide to you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now created a guide. Can you confirm that it will be OK? I am not sure about the MEDIA coding, but guessing step Two is the same as step Tree?

I ordered this kit not the single cable :-)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUX-In-Scha...53.m1438.l2649

Adding Option 6FL

Step One – Adding $6FL:
Open INPA and verify that it is connected properly.  Close INPA when verified.
Open NCSEXPERT and load profile  Expertenmosus (Werkseinstellung).
Press VIN/ZCS/FA (F1)
Press ZCS/FA f. ECU (F3)  Choose the E89 chassis  Choose CAS or NFRM
Press Enter FA (F2)  Choose E89
Enter VIN:  OK
Add $6FL  OK
Press Back (F6)
Press Process ECU (F4)  Choose CAS
Press Change Job (F2)  Choose FA_WRITE  OK
Press Execute job (F3)
Press Change ECU (F1) –> Choose NFRM
Press Execute job (F3)
Close NCS Expert

Step Two – Coding changes to CIC:
Press VIN/ZCS/FA (F1)
Press Back (F6)
Press Process ECU (F4)  Choose CIC
Press Change Job (F2)  Choose SG_CODIEREN
Press Execute job (F3)

Step Tree – Coding changes to MEDIA:
Press VIN/ZCS/FA (F1)
Press Back (F6)
Press Process ECU (F4)  Choose MEDIA
Press Change Job (F2)  Choose SG_CODIEREN
Press Execute job (F3)

Last edited by toby_2028; 08-03-2018 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #12
tavyx
Rep
Drives: e92 lots of issues :)

hello everyone, I tried to retrofit $6FL to mulf2 hi and did the coding and I tried everything to make it show usb in the radio. I have professional radio. can someone give me a hand and maybe look over my coding? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #13
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyx View Post
hello everyone, I tried to retrofit $6FL to mulf2 hi and did the coding and I tried everything to make it show usb in the radio. I have professional radio. can someone give me a hand and maybe look over my coding? Thanks
What year is your car, because you may need an ICOM to code the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #14
harrym97
Private
Rep
Drives: e91 330d M Sport LCI

Hi guys, i am also trying to code 6FL to my car, once added to the VO do i need to just execute a SG_CODIEREN job?

I added $6FL to the CAS and NFRM successfully but didn't do the above, instead i did CODIERDATEN_LESEN and edited the values i believed to be correct in the CIC and MEDIA modules..

Do I need to do a fresh FA_WRITE on the CIC and MEDIA modules (these are the ones i changed values in) to add the 6FL option correctly? (i think this is VO coding?)

My car is 2010 with CIC pro nav and COMBOX from factory.

I'm fairly new to coding so any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #15
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

whenever you add anything to a VO you also have to code it
to the module.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #16
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym97 View Post
Hi guys, i am also trying to code 6FL to my car, once added to the VO do i need to just execute a SG_CODIEREN job?

I added $6FL to the CAS and NFRM successfully but didn't do the above, instead i did CODIERDATEN_LESEN and edited the values i believed to be correct in the CIC and MEDIA modules..

Do I need to do a fresh FA_WRITE on the CIC and MEDIA modules (these are the ones i changed values in) to add the 6FL option correctly? (i think this is VO coding?)

My car is 2010 with CIC pro nav and COMBOX from factory.

I'm fairly new to coding so any help would be appreciated!

You only FA_write to CAS/NFRM. That stores the VO list in the CAS/NFRM but the relevant modules (CIC and MEDIA) don't know about that change until you "default" code them. That means loading the "expert" or "factory" profile and executing SG_CODEIREN to CIC and MEDIA modules.

You could code using the hand-edited files but it is more involved and not necessary. You'd load a different profile that tells NCSExpert to code from a file (FSW_PSW.MAN), rather than from the VO list in CAS/NFRM, then change the extension of your hand-edited file to MAN, then execute SG_CODEIREN.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 02:12 AM   #17
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
ALso be aware that certain features such as connected drive will only be available on certain firmware CIC C13 or later. from CIC 16 onwards it needs an FSC code. If you need an FSC code there are tools for that. If your CIC is pre c13 you'll need to update it first and it shouldn't be done with an OBD cable - ICOM is preferred
      02-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #18
harrym97
Private
Rep
Drives: e91 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
You only FA_write to CAS/NFRM. That stores the VO list in the CAS/NFRM but the relevant modules (CIC and MEDIA) don't know about that change until you "default" code them. That means loading the "expert" or "factory" profile and executing SG_CODEIREN to CIC and MEDIA modules.

You could code using the hand-edited files but it is more involved and not necessary. You'd load a different profile that tells NCSExpert to code from a file (FSW_PSW.MAN), rather than from the VO list in CAS/NFRM, then change the extension of your hand-edited file to MAN, then execute SG_CODEIREN.
Hi, thanks for the info, I managed to figure it out and got it all working now
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #19
Dandymon
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

I did this today, easy peasy. I also added 6NF phone integration (sept10 LCi e90) because why not.
Important things I found out:

1) make sure that on the Combox, you use the left usb connector (the black one) for the armrest usb, and the right (purple) connector for the 6NF if you want it. Despite both being just a USB port, it DOES make a difference.
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170101/sk5lgily.png

2) not all flash drives work for the armrest usb, I've found that 32gb is fine for me, maybe your drive is incompatible as mine was if it says "not connected."

3)ensure that you add the $6FL (and $6NF if you want it) and FA_WRITE to both the CAS and NFRM, and then restart NCS expert and check they are still in the VO. No need to add the build date as some people do in this menu, why would you want to add things that don't add functionality anyways!?!

4)After VO is definitely correct, code the MEDIA and CIC as mentioned on this thread numerous times. I coded one then the other then the other then the other because I don't know which one needed to "see" the other module with the function first. It takes seconds.
To do this, Click Process Ecu, select MEDIA, read ECU (to ensure the correct firmware file is loaded), close the pop up trace window, then Change Job and select SG_CODIEREN, Execute Job.
Do the same again but chose CIC instead of MEDIA. Lather, rinse, repeat.

5)It doesn't alter the function of the glove box USB

6) You can download the update for your Bluetooth from bmw and install it via the armrest usb.

7) album art only works if you have the metadata attached to your mp3, or, you're using the 6NF where the phone sorts it.

8) the usb connector I bought was advertised for e90 but does not fit in the hole in the armrest. It also has a vw symbol on it!?!
You want the one that says aux in
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/john/e3...4109237653.jpg

9) don't need any module hub like in the 6FL retrofit instructions you might have seen, just plug straight into the CIC, like I said in (1), it's fussy about where it sees the usb device anyways.

Other things that I found out not completely related. I kept having communication issues with my OBD cable. I bought several thinking that some were crappy and some not, but it turned out that windows (under control panel serial settings) was adding 4ms latency to the usb com. Removed this and the cable works brilliantly. So would have all those others that I sent back to ebayers 😬

Another thing, sometimes it needs a reboot of you changed USB port or your computer went to sleep because ediabas loses the connection and it remains in memory (I think). Golden reboot always works wonders.

If you're unsure and live near chelmsford, Essex, UK, genuinely happy to help you through it.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #20
eku1s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i M Sport 2011 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandymon View Post
I did this today, easy peasy. I also added 6NF phone integration (sept10 LCi e90) because why not.
Important things I found out:

1) make sure that on the Combox, you use the left usb connector (the black one) for the armrest usb, and the right (purple) connector for the 6NF if you want it. Despite both being just a USB port, it DOES make a difference.
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170101/sk5lgily.png

2) not all flash drives work for the armrest usb, I've found that 32gb is fine for me, maybe your drive is incompatible as mine was if it says "not connected."

3)ensure that you add the $6FL (and $6NF if you want it) and FA_WRITE to both the CAS and NFRM, and then restart NCS expert and check they are still in the VO. No need to add the build date as some people do in this menu, why would you want to add things that don't add functionality anyways!?!

4)After VO is definitely correct, code the MEDIA and CIC as mentioned on this thread numerous times. I coded one then the other then the other then the other because I don't know which one needed to "see" the other module with the function first. It takes seconds.
To do this, Click Process Ecu, select MEDIA, read ECU (to ensure the correct firmware file is loaded), close the pop up trace window, then Change Job and select SG_CODIEREN, Execute Job.
Do the same again but chose CIC instead of MEDIA. Lather, rinse, repeat.

5)It doesn't alter the function of the glove box USB

6) You can download the update for your Bluetooth from bmw and install it via the armrest usb.

7) album art only works if you have the metadata attached to your mp3, or, you're using the 6NF where the phone sorts it.

8) the usb connector I bought was advertised for e90 but does not fit in the hole in the armrest. It also has a vw symbol on it!?!
You want the one that says aux in
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/john/e3...4109237653.jpg

9) don't need any module hub like in the 6FL retrofit instructions you might have seen, just plug straight into the CIC, like I said in (1), it's fussy about where it sees the usb device anyways.

Other things that I found out not completely related. I kept having communication issues with my OBD cable. I bought several thinking that some were crappy and some not, but it turned out that windows (under control panel serial settings) was adding 4ms latency to the usb com. Removed this and the cable works brilliantly. So would have all those others that I sent back to ebayers 😬

Another thing, sometimes it needs a reboot of you changed USB port or your computer went to sleep because ediabas loses the connection and it remains in memory (I think). Golden reboot always works wonders.

If you're unsure and live near chelmsford, Essex, UK, genuinely happy to help you through it.
Hi Dandymon,

Thanks for the info. I'm about to do this on my E92.

Quick question, did you have to re-wire your aux port after the change was made? I've seen people talk about the port being wired into the HU if you don't have this option, but if you do, it's wired into the combox. It may be the case that mine is wired through the combox anyway.

I know there's a setting you can change in the coding which enables the HU AUX, but just wanted to see what your experience was.

Thanks, Luke.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #21
Crz13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32 435d M Sport xDrive

Hi guys
I have a 2010 bmw 320d m sport business edition
It has the 6.5” CIC iDrive, Bluetooth (calls only) AUX in Armrest and USB in glovebox

Could someone please advise if I can add 6FL without having to replace any modules/components?
Im not interested in bluetooth music streaming, I’d just like to be able to play music from a USB
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #22
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crz13 View Post
Hi guys
I have a 2010 bmw 320d m sport business edition
It has the 6.5” CIC iDrive, Bluetooth (calls only) AUX in Armrest and USB in glovebox

Could someone please advise if I can add 6FL without having to replace any modules/components?
Im not interested in bluetooth music streaming, I’d just like to be able to play music from a USB
Thank you
you need to make a picture of the module in trunk under the trim,
if you have mulf2high or combox, you can, if you have only TCU, you can't without adding mulf2high