E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil filter housing gasket

02-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #23
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Well I have N54 and had to back off the manifold to unscrew the bolt..
Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
Sorry if someone already mentioned this: For the N55, the only way to get to the back bolt is to loosen the intake manifold. Remove all the nuts (and 1 bolt) that hold on the manifold. Slide the manifold away from the engine, but do not remove it from the studs. You will now have enough clearance to get that 1/4" drive E10 socket on the back bolt of the OFH.

After you replace the OFHG, push the intake back into place and replace all the nuts. Re-tighten. I used a magnetic pick up tool on each nut just to make sure I didn't drop it.

On the N52, the intake manifold does not cover the 3rd bolt of the OFH, so videos and descriptions of doing this job on those engines will not include having to loosen the intake manifold.
You need to back the intake off on the N54 too. It's not bad just takes a few min. Overall this is still a really easy job on the N54 IMO.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #24
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
You need to back the intake off on the N54 too. It's not bad just takes a few min. Overall this is still a really easy job on the N54 IMO.
I agree. I actually think you can access the bolt a few skinny swivels but it's a pain might aswell just back off the manifold a bit.

Also don't be afraid if you loose one nut down I drove with a missing nut since I had dropped one for a few days and replacement nut at dealer was only about 3$. The annoying nut is the last one since you need a u joint for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #25
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Use the OEM dealer gasket, it is now made by a Japanese supplier. Ppl have had problems with aftermarket

The problem with the OFH gaskets were this:

1. The OEM German made BMW gaskets fit excellent but were made with inferior materials (environmentally friendly/recycled rubber of some sort). This is why on ALL vehicles with N54 and N55 engines they began leaking every 30k to 50k miles.

2. The Aftermarket Gaskets, particularly JDM-Japanese made ones, were always made with superior materials but had a poor fit. This is why some of them would start leaking within 100 miles once mounted in the car.

However if the JDM/Japanese Manufacturers are NOW indeed making the OEM gaskets for BMW then any 2019 and onward purchase of a OFHG at a BMW Dealership or webstore selling OEM gaskets will have the best of both worlds. Excellent JDM-Japanese materials and great OEM-Germany fit.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #26
mar005v
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by alddiem415 View Post
Any diy on how to prime the oil system
Prime means exactly that. just like you prime your lawn mower carburetor. you press that red bulb sending lots of gas into the carburetor to start it.
In this case it means to pour oil into the case. Some people prime the filter case by pouring oil into the case before installing a new filter just so the car has oil flowing when you first restart the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #27
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar005v View Post
Prime means exactly that. just like you prime your lawn mower carburetor. you press that red bulb sending lots of gas into the carburetor to start it.
In this case it means to pour oil into the case. Some people prime the filter case by pouring oil into the case before installing a new filter just so the car has oil flowing when you first restart the car.
No, the priming SIB is to unplug fuel injectors and turn the engine like 3 times.

Or an easier way to do it unplug the ignition harness under the steering I believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #28
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
The problem with the OFH gaskets were this:

1. The OEM German made BMW gaskets fit excellent but were made with inferior materials (environmentally friendly/recycled rubber of some sort). This is why on ALL vehicles with N54 and N55 engines they began leaking every 30k to 50k miles.

2. The Aftermarket Gaskets, particularly JDM-Japanese made ones, were always made with superior materials but had a poor fit. This is why some of them would start leaking within 100 miles once mounted in the car.

However if the JDM/Japanese Manufacturers are NOW indeed making the OEM gaskets for BMW then any 2019 and onward purchase of a OFHG at a BMW Dealership or webstore selling OEM gaskets will have the best of both worlds. Excellent JDM-Japanese materials and great OEM-Germany fit.

Anyone have any updates in regards to the quality of OEM vs OE gaskets??

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-11428637821kt

Looking at this kit but with all the nightmare reviews of people having to swap out for OEM only a short time after install I'd rather be safe than sorry with OEM for extra $$ but if there's any update in regards to the OE part being up to standard now it'd be nice to save some $$.
Appreciate 0