E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Still making flutter sound on revs after GFB DV+ install.

05-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
Sevelyth
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 BMW E92 335i Xdrive

Still making flutter sound on revs after GFB DV+ install.

Hey so as the title suggest I had a flutter sound on idle revving and everybody and their mother on this forum told me it was my stock diverter valve and to replace that and it would do the trick.

Today I had my mechanic replace it with the GFB DV+ and it did not fix it. I have no idea what else it could be. It was previously boost spiking at the end of a pull of letting off throttle. I am going home to get my tablet In order to take logs.

In short does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?

MHD Stage 2, XHP stage 3
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:42 AM   #2
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevelyth View Post
Hey so as the title suggest I had a flutter sound on idle revving and everybody and their mother on this forum told me it was my stock diverter valve and to replace that and it would do the trick.

Today I had my mechanic replace it with the GFB DV+ and it did not fix it. I have no idea what else it could be. It was previously boost spiking at the end of a pull of letting off throttle. I am going home to get my tablet In order to take logs.

Ok so I have same thing as you. Replaced my DV for the GFB DV+. The flutter is still there. What is really confusing is when you use the mainspring for the DV+, it is actually said even in the given instructions that it will sound different. I recall some user telling me that the DV+ actually makes a fluttering noise naturally.

I don't see what else it could be. Check your logs to make sure that boost is on target and smooth, but other than that I will just assume that it's the new sound of my DV.

EDIT: I saw your post in MHD thread. Noticed 2 things, your corrections are not pretty and you had a boost peak of 23.2 PSI which is quite high.

Last edited by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly; 05-17-2019 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Sevelyth
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 BMW E92 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Quote:

Ok so I have same thing as you. Replaced my DV for the GFB DV+. The flutter is still there. What is really confusing is when you use the mainspring for the DV+, it is actually said even in the given instructions that it will sound different. I recall some user telling me that the DV+ actually makes a fluttering noise naturally.

I don't see what else it could be. Check your logs to make sure that boost is on target and smooth, but other than that I will just assume that it's the new sound of my DV.

EDIT: I saw your post in MHD thread. Noticed 2 things, your corrections are not pretty and you had a boost peak of 23.2 PSI which is quite high.
Yeah I know . Do you have any idea what it could be or are we both SOL here.

MHD Stage 2, XHP stage 3
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I know . Do you have any idea what it could be or are we both SOL here.
Honestly for now I have no clue what to tell you. That sound is hear by the cold air intake and can only be produced by the DV, I don't see what else. The DV is operated fully via electricity and not pneumatic lines which also scratchs out that theory of loose vacuum lines. I am kind of lost when it comes to this chirping.

Only thing I can tell you is to continue monitoring your car and see how well your boost meets your target boost. With stock DV, most of the time actual boost would be slightly below target while with the DV+ it is generally slightly above.

And if you could do some proper logging from gear 3 and above it would be much better. I found you AFR was a bit high, but it is probably due to the light and short third gear pull!
      05-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

If you still have compressor surge then it SHOULD be because you're not relieving pressure after the throttle body closes. My DV+ has a slight flutter but it is short in duration and isn't noticeable under 15 psi.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:43 AM   #6
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Compressor surge occurs at full load/boost, not reving at idle. Are you sure you are not just hearing intake sounds?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

If it sounds like dolphins it might be your valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #8
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
If it sounds like dolphins it might be your valve cover.
More specifically the PCV or crank seals? And it would also produce the sound even if boost is low or slowing down right?
      05-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
More specifically the PCV or crank seals? And it would also produce the sound even if boost is low or slowing down right?
That sound is caused by excess crank vacuum due to bad pcv valve. It will not occur under boost. It will occur at idle if you rev the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #10
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Quote:
That sound is caused by excess crank vacuum due to bad pcv valve. It will not occur under boost. It will occur at idle if you rev the engine.
Yep there you go ok. I still have that chirping sound but I am pretty sure it the GFB DV+ natural high boost noise since it only seems to occures with big boost.

Anyway I can diagnose to see if it might be PCV seal. I know that if it also does the sound whilr idling you can (I think) the oil cap test?
      05-18-2019, 11:53 PM   #11
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yep there you go ok. I still have that chirping sound but I am pretty sure it the GFB DV+ natural high boost noise since it only seems to occures with big boost.

Anyway I can diagnose to see if it might be PCV seal. I know that if it also does the sound whilr idling you can (I think) the oil cap test?
Oil cap is one way. More definitive is to see if the plastic nipple on top of the VC is pulling vacuum.
Appreciate 0