E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Paint or Vinyl Roof/ CSL Spoiler or BMW Perf Lip

02-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #23
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92stance View Post
...Do somthing different, there is never anything new on this forum and everybody (including myself) has csl or replica styled wheels (but wants BBS or some other rip off high end wheel but cant because of NY NJ roads) has an mtech kit or aero front on their shit...is lowered too much on KW's, has some mild tune on it and some form of LED angels. Like I said, I have that shit too, nothing wrong with that....its just boring...
Post of the year.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #24
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
You want your red leather to be viewed from the outside in the dark? lol never heard that one before.....wtf for? In NY too? Could look cool to the local Blood set I guess! lol

Dont be a follower with the black roof, everybody into the tuning scene actually makes fun of BMW owners who do this. I truly believe the only car that should have a CF (or black roof) is either an M3 or M6 because they come with it. Vinyl is even more terrible, and vinyl CF is ricer as hell.

Do somthing different, there is never anything new on this forum and everybody (including myself) has csl or replica styled wheels (but wants BBS or some other rip off high end wheel but cant because of NY NJ roads) has an mtech kit or aero front on their shit...is lowered too much on KW's, has some mild tune on it and some form of LED angels. Like I said, I have that shit too, nothing wrong with that....its just boring.

Vinyl your roof a color, and match your wheels and inner mirror trim or some shit like that....Im about to do that just to get a response on here. Orange roof on space grey, Get my VMR's powder-coated orange, calipers orange and mirror barrels or somthing else suble orange. Just to be different.

Sorry OP just my opinion.....I dont want to blend in with these idiots and their "me-too" 3's
I ment at night on the street. Red leather looks cool from the outside whenever I see one passing by. I like tints but I want to have just enough not to hide the red during the day and at night. Is that clearer?

Also, calling people idiots because they have common mods just like you, as you admited, isn't right either. You're not being practical or logical with your opinion. Common things are done when a certain formula has proven to work or accepted by many during a certain period of time...that is until something new comes along and is preferred as well. Our limited budget is obviously what prevents most of us from trying different things (fear of not liking it and having to redo it). It may seem that common in the forums, but on the street, I rarely bump into modded 3 series like I see here.

Aside from that, I don't mod my car only to get responses on here. I don't live on the forum. I use this forum to get ideas and contribute what I can to others. That's pretty much it.

Thanks for your input though.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #25
BimmerRob
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F36 435i xDrive

Quote:

Do somthing different, there is never anything new on this forum and everybody (including myself) has csl or replica styled wheels (but wants BBS or some other rip off high end wheel but cant because of NY NJ roads) has an mtech kit or aero front on their shit...is lowered too much on KW's, has some mild tune on it and some form of LED angels. Like I said, I have that shit too, nothing wrong with that....its just boring.

Sorry OP just my opinion.....I dont want to blend in with these idiots and their "me-too" 3's
Yea.. But at the same time those who do take the plunge and truly try to express themselves are scorned on this forum as tasteless/ricer/social-deviant. There's just not that many options for our 3's, and the people who drive our cars are always criticizing against the status quo i.e. You drive a BMW not a Honda etc.

2010 e92 Mojave Metallic - farewell old friend /2013
2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe Sparkling Brown | Cocaine White interior | JB4 | BMS Intake | Wagner Intercooler Evo I | VRSF Downpipes | ER Chargepipes
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #26
Ovalcram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
You want your red leather to be viewed from the outside in the dark? lol never heard that one before.....wtf for? In NY too? Could look cool to the local Blood set I guess! lol

Dont be a follower with the black roof, everybody into the tuning scene actually makes fun of BMW owners who do this. I truly believe the only car that should have a CF (or black roof) is either an M3 or M6 because they come with it. Vinyl is even more terrible, and vinyl CF is ricer as hell.

Vinyl your roof a color, and match your wheels and inner mirror trim or some shit like that....Im about to do that just to get a response on here. Orange roof on space grey, Get my VMR's powder-coated orange, calipers orange and mirror barrels or somthing else suble orange. Just to be different.

This guy is an idiot...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92hobear View Post
Yea.. But at the same time those who do take the plunge and truly try to express themselves are scorned on this forum as tasteless/ricer/social-deviant. There's just not that many options for our 3's, and the people who drive our cars are always criticizing against the status quo i.e. You drive a BMW not a Honda etc.
Very true in addition to what I said above.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #28
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalcram View Post
This guy is an idiot...
Very informative of you.........and your from Texas.

Now to the comments that matter. OP... I hear what you are saying, we are limited in our choice of mods, and sometimes people are scorned for what they try on their car, very true...but sometimes you have to hop over that line.

Out of all the cars Ive had, and all the people Ive met while tuning other cars, I would have to say newer model BMW owners seem to be the least mechanically inclined and least creative. I dont consider them real "tuners". Bolting on bumpers, changing your LED's, plugging in 5 wires for 100 horsepower and adding wheels is not tuning a car! (the guys that designed that technology are tuners obviously) Also, most of us pay small specialty shops to do or dirtywork installs. Those guys are installers and mechanics, not tuners.......

Maybe its because the 335 is not tuner friendly? Everything screws your warranty up. BMW doesnt support modding and everybody is always scared of getting flagged. Maybe thats how this culture evolved here. At the end of the day, this car doesnt make much sense.

Im just saying that the common mods we do should come with the damn car in the first place, and even then.....all our cars end up looking exactly the same.

I dont see such standard mods in almost any other car brand. Then again I think most of us are forced to mod in certain ways because these vendors (and anybody that manufactures parts for BMW's) hits us with the BMW Tax on everything too.

OP, just be different maybe. Inspire all of us that are in the Matrix here!!!! lol
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #29
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
I ment at night on the street. Red leather looks cool from the outside whenever I see one passing by. I like tints but I want to have just enough not to hide the red during the day and at night. Is that clearer?

Also, calling people idiots because they have common mods just like you, as you admited, isn't right either. You're not being practical or logical with your opinion. Common things are done when a certain formula has proven to work or accepted by many during a certain period of time...that is until something new comes along and is preferred as well. Our limited budget is obviously what prevents most of us from trying different things (fear of not liking it and having to redo it). It may seem that common in the forums, but on the street, I rarely bump into modded 3 series like I see here.

Aside from that, I don't mod my car only to get responses on here. I don't live on the forum. I use this forum to get ideas and contribute what I can to others. That's pretty much it.

Thanks for your input though.

Come on dude....Most of the people on here are idiots, hell most from NY/NJ are idiots! That was tongue-in-cheek if you know what I mean. Modding is not supposed to be a formula, most would consider it an expression of the driver/owners likes and dislikes. If your a person that prefers to race, then your mods are going to be more about functionality. A smart person, I would hope, would try to balance the two and create a well put-togather and tasteful car.

My opinion is very practical and more logical than most.....so I dont agree with you on that one either. I dont mean to insult, I am stating the obvious my friend.

Your right also, that limited budgets have something to do with things. I mean really, if we all had enough money, we would all be in m3's instead of 328's and 335's!!!!! M3 is the goal of every 3 series owner at some point, those that dont agree are lying.......

I see modded 3's all the time around here...but honestly most of the guys who mod the shit out of their cars.....never drive them. Why? for many reasons....one being dependability, onother being that they just want to stare at their wheels and angel eyes all day, and another is that they dont want to break anything and be forced to de-mod and go back to the dealership with issues. Heavily modded 335 owners get tired of the BS real quick and eventually move on to other cars too... Just look at all the "selling" and part-out threads.

Drive the shit out of your car, if your going to tune you car hardcore be prepared to suffer the possible consequences, and try and make your ride individual and blend-out!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #30
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Come on dude....Most of the people on here are idiots, hell most from NY/NJ are idiots! That was tongue-in-cheek if you know what I mean. Modding is not supposed to be a formula, most would consider it an expression of the driver/owners likes and dislikes. If your a person that prefers to race, then your mods are going to be more about functionality. A smart person, I would hope, would try to balance the two and create a well put-togather and tasteful car.

My opinion is very practical and more logical than most.....so I dont agree with you on that one either. I dont mean to insult, I am stating the obvious my friend.

Your right also, that limited budgets have something to do with things. I mean really, if we all had enough money, we would all be in m3's instead of 328's and 335's!!!!! M3 is the goal of every 3 series owner at some point, those that dont agree are lying.......

I see modded 3's all the time around here...but honestly most of the guys who mod the shit out of their cars.....never drive them. Why? for many reasons....one being dependability, onother being that they just want to stare at their wheels and angel eyes all day, and another is that they dont want to break anything and be forced to de-mod and go back to the dealership with issues. Heavily modded 335 owners get tired of the BS real quick and eventually move on to other cars too... Just look at all the "selling" and part-out threads.

Drive the shit out of your car, if your going to tune you car hardcore be prepared to suffer the possible consequences, and try and make your ride individual and blend-out!!!!!!
lol ok...set an example then...since most of us aren't different enough, you show us how it's done...as the saying goes, "talk is cheap"
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #31
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep

LOL, true....that saying is correct! I am trying, hopefully I can pull something off! Like you im sure, I dont live on the forums either, just bored as shit at the office today!!!!! Im glad you get what Im saying though.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #32
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
Post of the year.
LOL thanks....
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #33
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

OP, I get what e92stance is saying. IMHO, if you really want to be "different", leave your car bone stock and go to a high performance driving school. Once you know how your car behaves under various conditions, then start modding.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #34
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL, true....that saying is correct! I am trying, hopefully I can pull something off! Like you im sure, I dont live on the forums either, just bored as shit at the office today!!!!! Im glad you get what Im saying though.
Ain't nothing wrong with some insperational talk on a boring day lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #35
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OP, I get what e92stance is saying. IMHO, if you really want to be "different", leave your car bone stock and go to a high performance driving school. Once you know how your car behaves under various conditions, then start modding.
That would be a dream to do but I don't think I have the budget for all of that. I could be wrong, but I've heard it costs a lot to be on a track. Need a racing license? Driving school? What exactly is the process to be at a track somewhat close to where I live?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #36
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
That would be a dream to do but I don't think I have the budget for all of that. I could be wrong, but I've heard it costs a lot to be on a track. Need a racing license? Driving school? What exactly is the process to be at a track somewhat close to where I live?

First thing I'd recommend is joining BMW CCA, look into your local chapter and see when they host schools. Honestly, they're not that expensive. (I think they're around $400 or so for 2 days.) If you want to go to racing school, that will be more expensive but I wouldn't recommend that until you've completed a few high performance driving courses.

You don't have to join BMW CCA in order to attend their schools, but you'll get a discount and preferred status in case the school is oversubscribed. I'm not sure what tracks are close to you, but Watkins Glen is where the schools I'm attending this year. (I'm also going to do one at Mosport in Toronto.)

I work with some guys who race (they all have different cars, Porshe, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.) and it can/will be expensive depending how much you get into it. Driving schools aren't that bad, same goes for autocross; get into racing and it's a whole different story.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #37
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats a great idea actually! That would be the smartest thing you could do, I took a weekend class at Watkins Glen a couple years ago....very informative and awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #38
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First thing I'd recommend is joining BMW CCA, look into your local chapter and see when they host schools. Honestly, they're not that expensive. (I think they're around $400 or so for 2 days.) If you want to go to racing school, that will be more expensive but I wouldn't recommend that until you've completed a few high performance driving courses.

You don't have to join BMW CCA in order to attend their schools, but you'll get a discount and preferred status in case the school is oversubscribed. I'm not sure what tracks are close to you, but Watkins Glen is where the schools I'm attending this year. (I'm also going to do one at Mosport in Toronto.)

I work with some guys who race (they all have different cars, Porshe, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.) and it can/will be expensive depending how much you get into it. Driving schools aren't that bad, same goes for autocross; get into racing and it's a whole different story.
Quote:
Thats a great idea actually! That would be the smartest thing you could do, I took a weekend class at Watkins Glen a couple years ago....very informative and awesome.
I did a search and found NASA HPDE: High Performance Driving Event. Looks like there are 4 levels to get to until you can drive on your own, which should take a few weekends. This shouldn't cost more than 1,000 altogether and then I'm free to track at about $280 per day when it's open. That sounds pretty good to me...or do you think there's something cheaper out there?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #39
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

That's a great option. The only reason I mentioned the BMW car club events is because you'd see a lot of other BMW enthusiasts. That being said, there's no reason to limit yourself to the BMW event as that is a good price and a very viable alternative.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #40
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's a great option. The only reason I mentioned the BMW car club events is because you'd see a lot of other BMW enthusiasts. That being said, there's no reason to limit yourself to the BMW event as that is a good price and a very viable alternative.
Yea that would be cool to track with other BMW enthusiasts, but aiming for the most cost effective option at this time. Thanks for the idea though...Looks like my dream might become possible afterall
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #41
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep

ummmm wait a sec........what is "Shqipe"?? lol
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #42
BimmerRob
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F36 435i xDrive

haha and for those reading: GT5 is not a qualified racing school.

2010 e92 Mojave Metallic - farewell old friend /2013
2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe Sparkling Brown | Cocaine White interior | JB4 | BMS Intake | Wagner Intercooler Evo I | VRSF Downpipes | ER Chargepipes
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #43
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

paint no doubt...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #44
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant