E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Crank case breather advice?

04-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
Rob330d
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Crank case breather advice?

Hi,
First post here.
Just replaced the air filter on my e92 330d. Had an e46 320d and learned the hard way that this really is a lengthy knuckle scraping process. Totally agree with others that BMW have made this a needlessly complicated task. Why is access to the filter so poorly thought through.

Rant over...
Whilst I had the covers off I thought I’d also inspect the crank case / turbo breather to establish if it had a filter which may need changing or cleaning.

My previous e46 320d had a small round filter which was totally clogged. Replaced this with the maintenance free vortex upgrade for peace of mind.

The crank case breather on my e92 330d appears to also be the vortex type.

I just gave the inside a wipe and re fitted

Anybody got any thoughts or info on these breathers? Are they pretty much maintenance free.
Please note I will not be chuffed to learn I’ve missed something!

Only those who have changed one of these air filters will understand
Cheers for any comments
Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:32 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob330d View Post
Hi,
First post here.
Just replaced the air filter on my e92 330d. Had an e46 320d and learned the hard way that this really is a lengthy knuckle scraping process. Totally agree with others that BMW have made this a needlessly complicated task. Why is access to the filter so poorly thought through.

Rant over...
Whilst I had the covers off I thought I’d also inspect the crank case / turbo breather to establish if it had a filter which may need changing or cleaning.

My previous e46 320d had a small round filter which was totally clogged. Replaced this with the maintenance free vortex upgrade for peace of mind.

The crank case breather on my e92 330d appears to also be the vortex type.

I just gave the inside a wipe and re fitted

Anybody got any thoughts or info on these breathers? Are they pretty much maintenance free.
Please note I will not be chuffed to learn I’ve missed something!

Only those who have changed one of these air filters will understand
Cheers for any comments
Rob
what year car..pre lci have vortex,,and lci a design like the m57 335d,,i know as i have both a pre lci 330d and a 335d.it has nothing inside,,not even the vortex cartridge..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
Rob330d
Rep

2006 coupe 330d. Crank breather seems to just have a spring diaphragm valve type of system. Seems pretty much maintenance free. Inside was quite clean just bit oily and damp. Cleaned with rag and re fitted.
Are there any issues with these breathers on the 330d
Cheers
Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:00 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob330d View Post
2006 coupe 330d. Crank breather seems to just have a spring diaphragm valve type of system. Seems pretty much maintenance free. Inside was quite clean just bit oily and damp. Cleaned with rag and re fitted.
Are there any issues with these breathers on the 330d
Cheers
Rob
the gaskets underneath maybe need changed and sometimes the breather housing can crack,,but very very rare,,just keep inspecting it whn doing air filter etc
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep

I agree the air filter design is ridiculous. I also checked my breather on a pre lci m57 and found no serviceable parts in it and was pretty clean so I just put it back together and forgot about it.
Appreciate 0