E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N54 Crank/No start diagnosis help please!

09-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

N54 Crank/No start diagnosis help please!

I am trying to diagnose an issue with a 2008 E93 335 with n54 that worked fine one day, then refused to start the next. It's my mom's car, so she says thanks to everyone in advance! Sorry if this is long; I want to make sure I include any info that may be relevant.

A couple weeks prior, the top of the fuel transfer pump from behind the driver side started to leak at the top causing fuel smell. And about the same time, my parents were driving somewhere and ran over something on the highway that has caused an exhaust leak. The car was driving fine aside from some extra noise. A couple weeks after these two incidents, the car was parked one night, and then the following day would no longer start. It will crank, but will not start.

I replaced the transfer pump since the replacement part showed up and it needed replacement anyway. And with that swapped, the car worked again for a few days. And then again after being parked one night, it refused to start in the morning.

Codes I am getting that seem relevant are:
006293 - EKP Current too high / Motor current too high
0029F3 - Fuel pressure sensor, electric

I also pulled a replacement EKPM3 module from a pick-a-part out of a N55 535. It's a different motor, but from what I read the fuel systems are the same, and the module should work without coding. Can anyone confirm this?

With the old and replacement EKP module, the LPFP doesn't seem to be running at all. I tested voltage at the two plugs going to the LPHP and get 8.x at one, and 11.x at the other. Not sure what correct voltages are supposed to be. I also loosened one of the high pressure fuel rails about the plenum and there's no fuel.

I know the fuel pressure sensors go bad pretty commonly. I've replaced it on this car a number of years ago. In that case it caused the car to run rough, but didn't prevent it from starting. Seems that is typically the case. So not sure if that is my primary issue or not. There is no specific code for the LPFP, so I figured it was the EKP preventing it from running. Not sure the one I pulled just needs coding? Or could it just be the LPFP is dead and there is no specific code for it?
      10-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just to close this out for anyone that might have a similar issue. The problem ended up being a dead fuel pump. The plastic bucket was broken, and the pump wouldn't run. I assume it overheated and died. The bucket probably cracked when I was replacing the transfer pump thing on the driver side.
      10-19-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep

After a few days and about 80 miles of driving the car died on me at a stop light and again is crank/no start. 🤷🏽*♂️

No ekp code anymore. But still have a 0029F3 - fuel pressure sensor code.
      11-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #4
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
After a few days and about 80 miles of driving the car died on me at a stop light and again is crank/no start. 🤷🏽*♂️

No ekp code anymore. But still have a 0029F3 - fuel pressure sensor code.
turns out the fuel pick up hose on the pump came undone. I must have not connected it fully when swapping the fuel pump assembly. woops. I also coded a new EKP module, but the original seems to be fine still, so possibly the original ekp code was a result of the pump failing. Hope this helps if anyone else encounters similar circumstance.

now to resolve water in the battery tray and corroded cables.