Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Toughts about going with 225/45R18 vs OEM 225/40R18

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #1
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Toughts about going with 225/45R18 vs OEM 225/40R18

My car is a 335xi E92, soon to have progressive spring coilovers... .

I am looking ahead to winter and it looks like I can get a deal on a set of new 225/45R18 on the well known auction site (got my summer tires there), but my concern is that the OEM setup is 225/40R18.

Now, I had been running a 17" snow tire for a few seasons with the OEM 225/45R17, so I kinda know what to expect ... BUT with the larger diameter I worry that (a) the larger sidewall measurement (not aspect ratio) will compromise handling... and (b) should I be concerned about rubbing / clearance issues. I've heard people running with 19" setups so I'm thinking I'll be fine on clearance, but those folks also seem to all go in for the slick low profile rubber bandy tires which, around here, I try to avoid.

Any opinions?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 01:42 AM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I wouldn't on an xi unless you have a square setup. If you do, should be no problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #3
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
I wouldn't on an xi unless you have a square setup. If you do, should be no problem.
Funny you should say that... my situation is I have like a warehouse of wheels, all with this or that problem. I have an aftermarket square setup that is 18x8, one of which is cracked. These came to me with the car with summer tires dented and I cracked it doing the "youtube" straightening method (hammer and wood block - so stupid).

I have a staggered setup, which is 18x8 front and 18x8.5 which is OEM and had winter tires. And I have an 19x9 which is the replacement summer setup since nobody would repair the cracked wheel (or at least one shop was willing to try if I mounted a tire on it, as he was apparently going to tinker with it but wanted to make sure it was going to hold air.)

So I can either mismatch my wheels and have a square winter 18x8 all around, or I can do what the prior owner did and run snows on the OEM staggered. Which is kinda stupid frankly, as I think the advantage to staggered is on dry summer track tires. Whatever... it was just easier to replace the other rims with summer tires already mounted. And the 18x9 square looks pretty sick.

Now I didn't even mention the 17x8 wheels that I used with winter tires last year that I picked up used on the cheap last year. But (1) they have a minor dent (No, I'm not going to try to straighten it myself again), (2) they look anemic, and (3) the car bottoms out on the lip of my driveway with the 17" wheel. So once I get this sorted, I am planning to resell the 17x8's again on the cheap. Or, with the way things usually work, store them in my shed for 5 years - LOL.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251672.50