E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Awful dent on body line

07-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
Nap
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Awful dent on body line

Got this car a month ago and I'm pretty sure the body line was hit by a car door before I got it. The spot was bare metal before I painted it and it's pretty big. I know it will never look perfect unless I take it to a body shop (they said It would be $800). Would I be able to get a pdr kit and a heat gun to tap down the body line to at least make it straight?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nap View Post
Got this car a month ago and I'm pretty sure the body line was hit by a car door before I got it. The spot was bare metal before I painted it and it's pretty big. I know it will never look perfect unless I take it to a body shop (they said It would be $800). Would I be able to get a pdr kit and a heat gun to tap down the body line to at least make it straight?
I got a dent in literally the exact same spot on my E93. Had one of the best PDR shops in the nation take a look at it. They were able to minimize it a bit, but couldn't get it all out due to the location. Have a pro PDR guy hit it and it will probably get a bit better, but not perfect. Will cost you less than $100.
      07-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
Nap
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I got a dent in literally the exact same spot on my E93. Had one of the best PDR shops in the nation take a look at it. They were able to minimize it a bit, but couldn't get it all out due to the location. Have a pro PDR guy hit it and it will probably get a bit better, but not perfect. Will cost you less than $100.
Thank you for the response this makes me feel a lot better knowing it won't cost a fortune. I will try to have another shop look at it and see how much they want to charge. If I can't find a shop that wants to charge me a fair price do you think I will have any luck with a pdr kit and a heat gun?

Last edited by Nap; 07-05-2019 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I would also recommend pdr, but let a pro do it rather than buying tools and doing it yourself.

Had a huge dent on my old e39 door right on the crease and pdr guy was able to pull it out. He did an amazing job as you could not tell after he was finished. He did however take 6 hours to complete the job (and i watched him do it, not fun)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
Nap
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
I would also recommend pdr, but let a pro do it rather than buying tools and doing it yourself.

Had a huge dent on my old e39 door right on the crease and pdr guy was able to pull it out. He did an amazing job as you could not tell after he was finished. He did however take 6 hours to complete the job (and i watched him do it, not fun)
6 hours that sounds like a whole lot of money.. Do you have before and after pictures?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
6 hours that sounds like a whole lot of money.. Do you have before and after pictures?
I don't have any pics, unfortunately. This was 10 years ago and i paid $200

My main thing was to retain factory paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the response this makes me feel a lot better knowing it won't cost a fortune. I will try to have another shop look at it and see how much they want to charge. If I can't find a shop that wants to charge me a fair price do you think I will have any luck with a pdr kit and a heat gun?
Unsure, but don't do it yourself. There is a pretty steep learning curve. In addition, most PDR places will charge less to pull that dent than it will cost you for the supplies.

My local guy charges $65.
      07-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
Nap
Private
Rep

Unfortunately I don't have any places in my area dedicated to just PDR. They are all auto body and collision shops so they want to charge a fortune. I hope I can find someone.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have any places in my area dedicated to just PDR. They are all auto body and collision shops so they want to charge a fortune. I hope I can find someone.
That can't be right. What is your zip code?
      07-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #10
Nap
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
That can't be right. What is your zip code?
I live in the middle of nowhere in Virginia and the closest city to me is Harrisonburg, zip code 22801. There is another town same distance away Luray, Virginia zip code 22835. I'm thinking my best bet is to just stop by some of these shops with no reviews and see if they will do it for cheap.

Last edited by Nap; 07-05-2019 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I live in the middle of nowhere in Virginia and the closest city to me is Harrisonburg, zip code 22801. There is another town same distance away Luray, Virginia zip code 22835. I'm thinking my best bet is to just stop by some of these shops with no reviews and see if they will do it for cheap.
There appear to be quite a few collision shops that note they perform PDR on their website within that zip code. Perhaps give one of them a call and ask what PDR costs at their location?

I've never heard of a shop charging more than $100 to pull a dent that small. Shouldn't take them more than about 30 minutes - but like I said, it probably won't come all the way out due to the location.
      07-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Where are you in Virginia. If it is the DC area, then go to Dent Masters in Tyson's Corner and see Paul. Paul is a magician and one of the best PDR guys in the USA.

Example of his work on my car:
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is a pretty decent PDR guy in Charlottesville. I bought my Z4 from CarMax in Cville. It had a pretty bad crease in the right fender above the headlight I didn't notice until I got home. I took it back to CarMax and they had their PDR guy get the crease out and a few dents on the right door under the mirror. Call Cville Carmax and ask them who they use. I lot of PDR guys are mobile and travel to dealerships and body shops.

Or call Paul at Dent Masters in Tysons, send him a pic and see if he'll do it for you.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 06:43 AM   #14
Nap
Private
Rep

Thank you for the recommendations, I'm 2 hours away from tysons and 1 hour away from Charlottesville. I will be willing to make those drives if I can't find someone in Harrisonburg to do it. I will post back when I get this fixed (if it's not a fortune to fix).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:42 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the recommendations, I'm 2 hours away from tysons and 1 hour away from Charlottesville. I will be willing to make those drives if I can't find someone in Harrisonburg to do it. I will post back when I get this fixed (if it's not a fortune to fix).
I'm very familiar with Harrisonburg. Why don't you go over to one of the car dealerships on 33, like Joe Bowman Cadillac/Chevy and ask the service manager who they have do their PDR. I'd bet it's a traveling guy that is local and services most of the local dealerships.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      07-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #16
Nap
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm very familiar with Harrisonburg. Why don't you go over to one of the car dealerships on 33, like Joe Bowman Cadillac/Chevy and ask the service manager who they have do their PDR. I'd bet it's a traveling guy that is local and services most of the local dealerships.
Called Joe Bowman and the service manager isn't in I guess. I did get someone's number from another dealer who travels around and does PDR, thank you for the idea. I sent them a text and hopefully I get something back if not I will call later.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Called Joe Bowman and the service manager isn't in I guess. I did get someone's number from another dealer who travels around and does PDR, thank you for the idea. I sent them a text and hopefully I get something back if not I will call later.
I almost bought a Caddy ATS from Bowman. My sales guy was really cool, he took me around the whole place. They are serious car people over at that dealership, which is why I suggested them. Not sure how close you are, but walking into the shop to ask would be a better approach.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #18
Nap
Private
Rep

Today I took the car to the best pdr guy in the city, apparently all the dealers use him. He said it would be $200-$250 because it's a pretty bad dent :/

Last edited by Nap; 07-08-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      07-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #19
Nap
Private
Rep

Just wanted to post back the before and after pictures, this guy did it for $200. I'm really glad I found him! You can't even tell there was a dent, I will put touch up paint on it today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
Wolf 3352340.50
tcphoto3511.50
      07-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #20
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List