E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > EGR Motor Dummy Load

08-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335D Sport

EGR Motor Dummy Load

In preparation for adding meth injection to my 335D, replaced the EGR valve with a straight pipe. Leaving the EGR motor disconnected sends the car into Limp home mode. I didn't feel like strapping the EGR motor to the engine bay and I don't have a tune so I came up with a simple dummy load.

Connect an 8Ω 50W resistor across pins 1 and 2 of the EGR motor connector and that's it. The feedback section is not connected so the DDE still operates at 0% EGR as described in the "paper clip" EGR delete thread here. The check engine light will appear and the DDE will throw a single 4CAE code.

The power rating and value are important. At near maximum duty cycle, the 50W resistor temperature is about 75degC ( 167degF). The max resistor temp spec is much higher (~275degC) but I didn't want to worry about burning anything under the hood or burning my hand when I touched the case. The life of the resistor is also extended with the lower operating temperature.

I bought this resistor from Digikey and mounted it in this metal chassis.

I realize this isn't a popular mod because most that replaced the EGR valve with a straight pipe have DDE tunes which tune out the EGR function but if you're like me and more interested in reliability, this is a clean inexpensive option.

As of today, I have logged about 2000 km with this mod and I have not experienced any issues.

Below is what is looks like in my engine bay. Wires were tie wrapped away from the pulley after the photo was taken. Only two wires are required. I wired all five to potentially use in future upgrades

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

That's a great idea! EGR is definitely one of the big contributors to emissions-related failures in these cars.
Appreciate 0