E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > BMW shop in Kitchener/Waterloo? Scan tool?

12-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i SGM M-Sport

BMW shop in Kitchener/Waterloo? Scan tool?

Hey all, just moved to K/W. Looking for a good indie shop and also wouldn't mind finding someone local with a scan tool, need to recode a battery replacement. Any suggestions most welcome!

I see we have no official owners thread for this area
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i sport BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotech View Post
Hey all, just moved to K/W. Looking for a good indie shop and also wouldn't mind finding someone local with a scan tool, need to recode a battery replacement. Any suggestions most welcome!

I see we have no official owners thread for this area
Roman at AutoCube on Victoria has some BMW experience (I believe he was a dealer tech back in the e46 days). Not sure if he does the battery coding.

You can also try Jason at Foreign Automotive near Strausburg & Bleams, who is mostly an Audi/VW guy, but has started some code work for BMW too.

For the battery, I just got mine done at the dealer, because it wasn't that big of a price difference vs. running around.
      12-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

I am in Guelph working nights this weekend, I have not done a battery replacement but willing to try and see if the BT tool can do it.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys. Looks like the battery itself is a pricey enough item that I might as well just hit up the dealer . Appreciate the shop recommendations and offers for assistance though!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotech View Post
Thanks guys. Looks like the battery itself is a pricey enough item that I might as well just hit up the dealer . Appreciate the shop recommendations and offers for assistance though!
I got quoted $311 + taxes to do the battery replacement at BMW Mississauga. I was debating about it but since you've done some looking around and if it ain't saving that much than I might as well get it done at the dealer.

Just curious about the price for the battery when you were shopping around?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
I got quoted $311 + taxes to do the battery replacement at BMW Mississauga. I was debating about it but since you've done some looking around and if it ain't saving that much than I might as well get it done at the dealer.

Just curious about the price for the battery when you were shopping around?
Well, I haven't looked that hard to be honest; after looking in the trunk (I have a 1-series, just squatting here... not sure if E90 has trunk battery) and looking at the installation mount and distribution block, venting, etc I realized it wasn't as simple as just unhooking/hooking up new one. Mix in the recoding and I am approaching my threshold of tolerance for DIY.

Canadian Tire (who I've used for Audi replacement batteries for years, with success) has a replacement for $200-ish (AGM technology, parameters look fine) but I'm not positive it fits in the mount properly and vents properly. By the time I add in labour for install and recoding I'm sure I'd be near $300 anyways, plus the potential hassle of swapping it and finding it doesn't fit.

There are cheaper options listed but I don't think they are sufficient for the vehicle.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...p.0104920.html
This is the one I was looking at.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
jheath
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluZero View Post
Roman at AutoCube on Victoria has some BMW experience (I believe he was a dealer tech back in the e46 days). Not sure if he does the battery coding.

You can also try Jason at Foreign Automotive near Strausburg & Bleams, who is mostly an Audi/VW guy, but has started some code work for BMW too.

For the battery, I just got mine done at the dealer, because it wasn't that big of a price difference vs. running around.
Hey OP, pretty sure Roman can do this for you. Really decent guy, knows these cars pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks sir, the battery has been behaving better in the recent milder temps, but will give him a call after xmas break.

For the record, though Canadian Tire sells the battery and notes the car requires coding to install it, but they won't do it; asked a couple of them when I was in picking up shovels and salt over the last week.

Not that I'd ever let CT touch my car
Appreciate 0