E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

10-26-2007, 04:35 AM   #221
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

what if you use micro fiber towels and quick detailer many times a day, for example: taking a short drive to and from school where you just get a TINY TINY bit of dust on the car. Is it safe to wipe that tiny bit of dust off. I've been quick detailing my car multiple times a day for quite some time now. I dont allow the dust to build up

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #222
rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 328i, 1995 VW Passat

Oooh, that's too risky for me. It all depends on how much risk you want to take, but even short drives cover your car with contaminants that you would then be rubbing into your clearcoat, potentially resulting in fine scratches.

I recently finished polishing both my cars - 1 w/ ZPC, and the other with Menzerna SIP and a bit more aggressive pad (w/ my PC random orbit polisher), and there is no way I would do anything other than wash my car after even a short drive. Not worth it considering the effort I put into my polishing to remove all such scratches.

This certainly depends on the individual and the results you wish to achieve, but MY PERSONAL rule of thumb - if I drive my car, then I wash it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #223
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising View Post
i forgot to buy ZPC with my Zaino purchase. some info, i don't have a machine to use along with ZPC. i don't think i have any major noticeable swirl marks that i know of. is it ok to go from wash, clay, skip ZPC, to Z2/Z5...? do you think i should order the ZPC? i just ordered earlier Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, Z8, Z10, Z18, and ZFX. first time ever detailing here nub.
It sounds like you don't need it. You can go straight to Z2/Z5 with ZFX after the clay step.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #224
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
what if you use micro fiber towels and quick detailer many times a day, for example: taking a short drive to and from school where you just get a TINY TINY bit of dust on the car. Is it safe to wipe that tiny bit of dust off. I've been quick detailing my car multiple times a day for quite some time now. I dont allow the dust to build up
I personally do not do this as I am paranoid of scratching my paint. IMO, the only way to remove dust/dirt from paint is via a good hand washing.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #225
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
I do this to both my silver and black cars. However, I agree with David, the best way is to hand wash. Personally, I tend to strike of balance of risk, time and car's beauty condition. Black car can be more risky to get more visible scratches using detailer, but then it really depends on the nature of the dirt; as if they were really just a layer of dry dust or they are grease. When using detailer, I tend to remove what I think it is removable (with very light buff), mostly the tops parts of the car than the more dirty side skirts. (I also use the 3m mf paper moisted with detailer to remove the first layer of dust.)
Okay, if I ever do the dirty side skirts or lower parts of the bumpers and get some minor scratches, so what, they are hardly too visible. Minor scratches will eventually be fixed by sealer or a buffer once a year anyway. Also, I think using detailer in a more frequent basis, I would first start with a really clean car by hand wash and waxed. A clean car tends to catch less dirt if driven on a dry day with clean air and clean roads. And then, I would use detailer in a more frequent basis to maintain the shiness of the car until it is no longer 'maintainable'. My way is not to over-do, that is, when 'dry clean' a car with detailer, just don't expect the car will be as 'clean' as a real hand wash and don't leave the car unattended for too long before a 'dry clean'. I always keep two types of 'detailers', one is very thin such as Mothers Showtime, another is slightly thicker such as a Spray Wax; and I will always apply the thinner one if I think a thicker spray wax is more risky. These are just personal habit.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #226
FaintReality
NoUSE4aName
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 550i

I am going to place an order soon and want to make sure I have everything. Would you mind looking over the following and letting me know if I need anything else and/or recommend anything?

wash - Mothers California Gold wash

wash mitt - (2) sheepskin

towels - pack of cheap cotton towels / (2) MF waffle weave towels / normal MF towels for removing polish/sealant, windows, etc?

clay - mothers or clay magic (which grade, fine or medium)?

mild polish - Klasse All In One (AIO)

sealant - Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG)

quick detailer - needed?

tire dressing - Mothers Reflections Tire Shine (Low Gloss)

applicator - (2) foam pad w/ terry/cotton on surface

Thanks, dave
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #227
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

What intention do you have for the "cheap" cotton towels? If you plan to keep things nice, I wouldn't use anything with the word cheap in it. Even for wiping wheels/rims, a cheap towel can mar the finish.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #228
FaintReality
NoUSE4aName
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
What intention do you have for the "cheap" cotton towels? If you plan to keep things nice, I wouldn't use anything with the word cheap in it. Even for wiping wheels/rims, a cheap towel can mar the finish.

I read that in the original post to clean door jambs, and just nasty areas in general. Still would be 100% cotton... or I can just pick up some general purpose MF towels
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #229
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I always think in terms of exterior only, so maybe for the carpet? I always use whatever I'm using on the outside to wipe the bit of water out of the jambs. Not the sealant that drips out of the door, but everything else.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #230
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaintReality View Post
I am going to place an order soon and want to make sure I have everything. Would you mind looking over the following and letting me know if I need anything else and/or recommend anything?

wash - Mothers California Gold wash

wash mitt - (2) sheepskin

towels - pack of cheap cotton towels / (2) MF waffle weave towels / normal MF towels for removing polish/sealant, windows, etc?

clay - mothers or clay magic (which grade, fine or medium)?

mild polish - Klasse All In One (AIO)

sealant - Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG)

quick detailer - needed?

tire dressing - Mothers Reflections Tire Shine (Low Gloss)

applicator - (2) foam pad w/ terry/cotton on surface

Thanks, dave
Everything looks good. For the clay, I'd go for fine grade. For QD, I'd just pick up a bottle of Mothers or Meguiars for the auto parts store. It can be used to clean up bird bombs between washing. Your towel list looks good as well. Use the cheap ones for door jambs as said.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #231
liliej
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi/Graphite/Lemon

Question... I'm going to take delivery on my 335xi in the next two weeks. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah (snow, ice, salted roads etc...). What advice do you have regarding detailing or other steps that should be taken to protect the finish this winter? It is quite cold here, so I don't anticipate many days where I could pull the garden hose out to wash and detail my car!

Thanks for the info!
      01-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #232
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Interior garage, or an enclosed truck wash place? May be worth it to find a detailer in your area and let him/her freeze their hands instead of yours, to protect things until spring. Have the detailer do the washing, then move the car into a garage and apply the sealants yourself before exposing to the elements again.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #233
liliej
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Interior garage, or an enclosed truck wash place? May be worth it to find a detailer in your area and let him/her freeze their hands instead of yours, to protect things until spring. Have the detailer do the washing, then move the car into a garage and apply the sealants yourself before exposing to the elements again.
Great info, thanks! Would it not be advisable for me to have the detailer apply the sealant to the car as well? With all the crud on the streets, I can't imagine that I could get the car home and not have to wash it again before sealing it.
      01-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #234
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliej View Post
Question... I'm going to take delivery on my 335xi in the next two weeks. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah (snow, ice, salted roads etc...). What advice do you have regarding detailing or other steps that should be taken to protect the finish this winter? It is quite cold here, so I don't anticipate many days where I could pull the garden hose out to wash and detail my car!

Thanks for the info!
My best advice, don't worry too much about it this winter. I'm sure the dealer will put some cheap silicone laden spray wax on your car before they deliver it to you. That should be decent enough to get you through to beginning of April. Then you can do the full detail yourself.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #235
liliej
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the advice! So it looks like I'll just have the car washed (touchless), with no towel-drying for now, and will look to do a full detailing when the weather permits.

I appreciate the advice here! Cheers.
      01-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #236
franciscosss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Can Klasse products be found in big retailers such as Target or Walmart? or do I have to order online?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #237
FaintReality
NoUSE4aName
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscosss View Post
Can Klasse products be found in big retailers such as Target or Walmart? or do I have to order online?

I only found online. If you decide to go that route, send me a PM as I will sell you a brand new kit for $50 (never used / paid $65 + shipping).

dave
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #238
franciscosss
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
hey dave, does it include the AIO and the HGSG? what sizes? type of shipping included? paypal accepted? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #239
FaintReality
NoUSE4aName
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscosss View Post
hey dave, does it include the AIO and the HGSG? what sizes? type of shipping included? paypal accepted? thanks.

PM sent
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 12:46 AM   #240
arabbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

im going to be detailing my car in about 2 months and i want to make sure i have the right list from right now. I have decided to go with zaino because it seems like most people prefer it over klasse and because it lasts longer. tell me what you think of my list:

Z2 pro
zfx
z8
zcs

As for polishing for swirls i dont know what im going to do because i cant really afford to buy a pc. Is it ok if i let a friends dad polish it for me with something thats not a zaino product?

Also, tell me anyways to save money if possible.

Last edited by arabbmw; 01-18-2008 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #241
franciscosss
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaintReality View Post
PM sent
Hey man, thanks a lot! received the Klasse kit today from Fedex.

I couldn't wait so just dusted my relatively clean car and "washed" it with a bucket of warm water and a cap of AIO. That thing is so easy! Then just AIO and later the Sealant high gloss. It works pretty good, I'm happy with the results. The only problem is that I don't wanna drive it anymore cuz it will get dirty
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #242
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabbmw View Post
im going to be detailing my car in about 2 months and i want to make sure i have the right list from right now. I have decided to go with zaino because it seems like most people prefer it over klasse and because it lasts longer. tell me what you think of my list:

Z2 pro
zfx
z8
zcs

As for polishing for swirls i dont know what im going to do because i cant really afford to buy a pc. Is it ok if i let a friends dad polish it for me with something thats not a zaino product?

Also, tell me anyways to save money if possible.
Having it polished with something other than Zaino is fine. Just to a wipedownw ith a mix of alcohal and water 1:1 before you begin any of your zaino steps.

One thing I would highly suggest is making sure your friends dad knows what he is doing. JOY
Appreciate 0