E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Steps to import a car from the USA.

09-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #111
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB

For those that have done this process, how did you do your CAD-USD exchange. It seems like the banks are charging at least 2.5% for exchange. That seems a bit ridiculous for large amounts. I've read a bit about forex companies such as xe.com. What's the best route to go?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #112
Sunny31
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga View Post
Once your deal is done, before your new car gets on a flatbed for shipping to Canada or before you go down and drive it up, make sure you get insurance for it! The last thing you want is the car damaged in transit and you'll be SOL.

- When you buy the car, if you are not having it shipped over with a carrier/broker (a bonded carrier) who can cross the border with your car, you should make sure to apply for a temporary permit with the state you are buying from. It's only $20 for this and the DEALER will do it for you. This will allow you to drive the car across the border yourself, even though it has not yet been registered in Canada and it does not have any Canadian plates. This is what I didn't do when I was there and learned from my mistake!
If I were to purchase a car lets say in philly at a bmw dealership and getting it shipped to washington state, would I need to get a temp permit in philly or would it be ok to get one in washington state since thats where I would be picking up the car(from a vehicle transport company) and driving it over to Canada.

Also Im assuming I would get the car insured by a canadian auto insurance company for any damages that might happen while in the usa?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #113
tntomek
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6spd

As for Cash vs Certified cheque. I bought my M3 privately in 2007 and in addition to the 72 hour wait the major kicker was the delay in verifying the certified cheque. AFAIK there is no way to transfer money from Canadian-US banks without a 24 hour verification delay. I ended up doing something that is in hindsight crazy, I bought it for cash! Otherwise the seller won't give you the car and you will end up giving them the money; catch 22.

If you end up doing this make sure you DECLARE THE MONEY when crossing the CAN>US border.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #114
PauloE90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i

Our dollar is at 1.03 as of yesterday!!! +1 for this post
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #115
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna3 View Post
What if the US owner of the car drives it across the border, does the import/duty fee of 6.1% get bypassed?
If the US owner drives it in...it's not being IMPORTED and if it's not being IMPORTED, it cannot be REGISTERED and INSURED in Canada.

To do all that I have highlighted in BOLD, 6.1% duty needs to be paid.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #116
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc230 View Post
you get the factory warranty (4 years...80 miles)...you do not get the extra 2 years...6 years 100 miles....

You don't get the CPO in Canada but does it still stay valid in the US once the car has been exported/registered in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #117
mehsham
Rep
Drives: NO CaR

Hey Guys!

I pretty much understand the whole import process however I haven't been able to find an answer to my question..

Where do you guys arrange for your financing if you don't have cash lying around like me... I can afford the car payments but don't have funds lying around...

Your help is greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #118
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Line of credit - secured (prime +1) or unsecured (prime + 2) ... In general term speaking.

Alternative method - spend $5 on Lotto Max every week .. and hope for the best .... If you do hit the big one, then you have no need to import. Just walk into dealership and say I would like this one, that one & that one
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #119
EliteAutoImports
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Sport/Nav/Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehsham View Post
Hey Guys!

I pretty much understand the whole import process however I haven't been able to find an answer to my question..

Where do you guys arrange for your financing if you don't have cash lying around like me... I can afford the car payments but don't have funds lying around...

Your help is greatly appreciated
Most CDN banks will give you a car loan for a US vehicle. You then would go to your bank and have them create a Bank Draft in US Funds. Some banks will wire the money directly to the seller.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #120
EliteAutoImports
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxie View Post
Yes, the base warranty is honored (CPO is not, however), and no you do not need to go through BMW Canada or do any major modifications (cluster changes, etc etc). The only thing you need to do is get the recall letter and make sure to activate your DRLs.
I would seriously talk with the local dealership before you import from the US. I know others have posted that they have had warranty repairs done in Canada on their US car, but this has not been my experience.

I am an importer and would love to just pull from the US to offer my clients the best value, but in my experience BMW will not honor any warranty unless you follow their importation procedure. In the past customers have been hosed with needless changes that are required for BMW to "Canadianize" the car. Many have complained of cluster and HVAC changes costing thousands of dollars. These changes are not required by the RIV.

If you find a dealer that will service it without following their procedure, great. Otherwise, I would try to confirm with your local dealer before you buy.

The reality is that the CDN wholesale prices have been coming down since parity has become the norm. The issue is that retailers are not passing on this adjustment to you. I now generally look to the US for availability, not price as for me the difference is not worth the effort an additional costs.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #121
mehsham
Rep

Haha! Thank you for the suggestion and yes, I do buy 5 dollar lotteries every week hoping to land a BIG win. Trust me If I won lottery then I would be getting myself a dozen exotic cars :P...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Line of credit - secured (prime +1) or unsecured (prime + 2) ... In general term speaking.

Alternative method - spend $5 on Lotto Max every week .. and hope for the best .... If you do hit the big one, then you have no need to import. Just walk into dealership and say I would like this one, that one & that one
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #122
mehsham
Rep

Thank you sir for the insightful information. I have come across your thread's on maxbimmer site as well. I will definitely check you out and perhap's speak to you about my delima..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteAutoImport View Post
Most CDN banks will give you a car loan for a US vehicle. You then would go to your bank and have them create a Bank Draft in US Funds. Some banks will wire the money directly to the seller.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #123
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would seriously talk with the local dealership before you import from the US. I know others have posted that they have had warranty repairs done in Canada on their US car, but this has not been my experience.

I am an importer and would love to just pull from the US to offer my clients the best value, but in my experience BMW will not honor any warranty unless you follow their importation procedure. In the past customers have been hosed with needless changes that are required for BMW to "Canadianize" the car. Many have complained of cluster and HVAC changes costing thousands of dollars. These changes are not required by the RIV.

If you find a dealer that will service it without following their procedure, great. Otherwise, I would try to confirm with your local dealer before you buy.

The reality is that the CDN wholesale prices have been coming down since parity has become the norm. The issue is that retailers are not passing on this adjustment to you. I now generally look to the US for availability, not price as for me the difference is not worth the effort an additional costs.

Just my 2 cents.
A dealer here in the GTA last week offered for me to come in and he said he'll make it cheaper for me to buy a new 328xi if I buy before March end.

Initial quote was CAD $52k + tax. If he's saying cheaper, it'll be CAD $39k+tax since the Edmunds.com configurator for a new car is $40k USD.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #124
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanInToronto View Post
A dealer here in the GTA last week offered for me to come in and he said he'll make it cheaper for me to buy a new 328xi if I buy before March end.

Initial quote was CAD $52k + tax. If he's saying cheaper, it'll be CAD $39k+tax since the Edmunds.com configurator for a new car is $40k USD.
Plus 6% duty if it's made in Germany, plus importation and shipping costs, to be apples to apples.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #125
EliteAutoImports
Canada
Rep

Quote:

While I can't comment on new cars as I do not have access to the wholesale costs on them, I can comment on used cars as I have access to both Canada and US Dealer Only Auctions with both Manheim and Adesa. I can run a report right now that show me vehicles and what they were sold for at auction.

In my experience, the difference in CDN and US pricing has come down now to the point when factoring in other costs such as Duty, it makes the most sense to find these cars on the CDN side.

I generally only look to the US now for availability as some cars can be scarce in the CDN auctions.

Back to my original post, My business thrives on my reputation. I can't risk this reputation by bringing in a US vehicle for my client and then have the local BMW dealer refuse to service it under warranty. The cost savings will mean nothing at this point in time to my client.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #126
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I generally only look to the US now for availability as some cars can be scarce in the CDN auctions.
Yep... Try finding a 2009 or 2010 535 wagon here in Canada. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #127
EliteAutoImports
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Yep... Try finding a 2009 or 2010 535 wagon here in Canada. Good luck!
Your right there. I would love to find a 535 wagon. I am one of the rare people in North America who finds wagons desirable.

I would love to have a 335xi Wagon, or Audi RS4 Wagon but no love in North America. If a 328xi wagon hit the auction, I would take it in a second to replace my current Volvo V50 T5 AWD.

They are just not popular, but when you have little ones and a large dog, nothing compares.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #128
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Your right there. I would love to find a 535 wagon. I am one of the rare people in North America who finds wagons desirable.

I would love to have a 335xi Wagon, or Audi RS4 Wagon but no love in North America. If a 328xi wagon hit the auction, I would take it in a second to replace my current Volvo V50 T5 AWD.

They are just not popular, but when you have little ones and a large dog, nothing compares.

Cheers,
LOL! That makes 2 of us, at least! Europeans have it right, with their love of wagons, and refusing to follow the North American set trend of SUV's are cool...

We're actually wanting to trade in our 09 XC70 T6 (good power, but not the driving feel I'd hoped, although with the 4C adjustable suspension, it's much better than the stock suspension) for a used 535 wagon.

I almost bought an imported one from Cali a month ago actually, but then found out it was a mfr buyback/lemon on title, so steered clear of it. It was an 09 with only 11,000 km's on it, so real clean...

There's only one still for sale on Autotrader in ALL of Canada, and it's that one!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #129
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

In my experience, the difference in CDN and US pricing has come down now to the point when factoring in other costs such as Duty, it makes the most sense to find these cars on the CDN side.

Back to my original post, My business thrives on my reputation. I can't risk this reputation by bringing in a US vehicle for my client and then have the local BMW dealer refuse to service it under warranty. The cost savings will mean nothing at this point in time to my client.
To your these 2 points:

a. What do you think of this car being at USD 27k?
b. Is BMW dealerships really denying warranty? What if I'm a new immigrant from the US? (I really AM!).....why should i be penalized for buying a car in the US where I was living at the time?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #130
EliteAutoImports
Canada
Rep

Quote:
To your these 2 points:

a. What do you think of this car being at USD 27k?
b. Is BMW dealerships really denying warranty? What if I'm a new immigrant from the US? (I really AM!).....why should i be penalized for buying a car in the US where I was living at the time?
a: I don't quite understand, which car for $27k?
b: If you read the official response from BMW on Warranty and Importing to Canada, they can deny you warranty claims if not followed. I have come across stories from both sides, some having no issues and others with issues. It would appear it depends on the Dealership. Again, my perspective is that I don't feel comfortable in gambling the warranty status for cars for my clients. If you want to take the risk, that is your personal choice. If my client wanted to take the risk, that is their choice. My experience is that they do not.

I don't' understand your other point, can you please clarify what you mean by, "why should i be penalized for buying a car in the US where I was living at the time?" Did you own the US vehicle in the US while you were an American Citizen? Now you have moved to Canada and have brought this vehicle with you?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #131
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
a: I don't quite understand, which car for $27k?
b: If you read the official response from BMW on Warranty and Importing to Canada, they can deny you warranty claims if not followed. I have come across stories from both sides, some having no issues and others with issues. It would appear it depends on the Dealership. Again, my perspective is that I don't feel comfortable in gambling the warranty status for cars for my clients. If you want to take the risk, that is your personal choice. If my client wanted to take the risk, that is their choice. My experience is that they do not.

I don't' understand your other point, can you please clarify what you mean by, "why should i be penalized for buying a car in the US where I was living at the time?" Did you own the US vehicle in the US while you were an American Citizen? Now you have moved to Canada and have brought this vehicle with you?

Cheers,
Oops! Sorry....this is the listing for 27k USD:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

well, I'm not telling them that I immigrated to Canada and then bought a used BMW --- I will show them my old US driver's license if so be to prove I am American and had the car BEFORE immigrating here Hey....anything to save a buck, right?

On a little more serious note: If i buy a used car, with 30k miles and 1yr of warranty left on it, I'm best off saving as much money on the purchase because the factory warranty is only good for a little while. That's not worth arguing with BMW Canada wankers (can always go to Buffalo for that 1yr). The extended warranty: well, they have to honor that here anyways because I'm going to be paying someone else for that anyways, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #132
EliteAutoImports
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oops! Sorry....this is the listing for 27k USD:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

well, I'm not telling them that I immigrated to Canada and then bought a used BMW --- I will show them my old US driver's license if so be to prove I am American and had the car BEFORE immigrating here Hey....anything to save a buck, right?

On a little more serious note: If i buy a used car, with 30k miles and 1yr of warranty left on it, I'm best off saving as much money on the purchase because the factory warranty is only good for a little while. That's not worth arguing with BMW Canada wankers (can always go to Buffalo for that 1yr). The extended warranty: well, they have to honor that here anyways because I'm going to be paying someone else for that anyways, right?
The car looks like it is great shape. If you could negotiate them to $27K you would be in good shape. If I were a betting man, I would bet that you will not be able to pick this up for $27K, and furthermore, the dealer will have other charges/fees that need to be included as part of the deal.

That being said you would be responsible for when importing it: (assuming complete parity)

6.1% Duty $1647
Excise Tax $100

$28,747 + HST
+RIV Fee of $195

If you try the "show license" trick to the dealer, they will most likely call your bluff when the search the VIN. Also, I would consider keeping your plans to yourself as this is a public forum.

On the note about the warranty, I would try to confirm the warranty status with them. No CPO or Extended Warranty will survive the export to Canada. You could buy an extended warranty here, but it would have to be 3rd party as BMW does not offer BMW extended coverage in Canada for this year of vehicle to my knowledge.

If there were some 328xi Coupes in the CDN Auction Pipeline, I could take a stab at getting you what you are looking for, but right now there are only 2011, 2010, and 2008 328xi sedans that would be worth looking at.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0