E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: e92 deleted sidemarker

04-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #89
neXgen328xi
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
not this time. it didnt take as long as the blacklines to do...
Excellent! You know have a car that is illegal to be driven in the US because it does not have the DOT required side reflectors.
Ahh, side note... The side turn signal... Is a side marker... so the car is still legal to drive!!!

Per a Dayton Ohio sheriff...

He called it ugly and pointless... Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #90
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Prob gonna attempt this later today or tomorrow. I've felt around and it seems it would be a little cramped to get the blow dryer behind the fender. Did you that did the installation turn the wheel to give a bit more space?

Update: Turning the wheel did help alot.

Well I got it done, the follwing are my observations and notes.

- I needed to use a flat head screw driver to get it started, I began with heating the the top 3/4" (I'm estimating) right side of the reflector as I started on the left side of car, I was able to get the flat head in there it began to give. You can hear the adhesive coming apart.

NOTE: If you do opt for the the screw driver, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT twist or flex it back and forth. As many have said this part of the fender is very very delicate. I made a few tiny indents nobody will ever notice when i was getting started. I wasn't able to use a card at the start, just wouldn't fit where I started, perhaps if you cut it in half. I noticed there's not a lot of space where I started so thats why the flat head worked for me.

- Also I felt like a nucklehead but at first I was trying to get the reflector to give and didn't realize I was actually trying to peel the actual reflector from the base it sits on, obviously that is not the way. In my defense i couldn't see what I was doing. So I grabbed the iphone and used the camera, flipped the screen it so i could see the inside of the fender well via iphone, this helped tremendously.

- Once I made headway, I ran the screw driver along the bottom of the reflector from the inside of the fender. Again, DO NOT TWIST the screwdriver, apply gentle pressure and heat while slowly pushing along the bottom of the reflector and watch the adhesive give easily.

- After that i moved up the other 3/4" (I'm estimating) side of the reflector, once the adhesive gave way I had the sides and entire bottom loose. I THEN used the card through the outside of the fender and slowly and easily worked my way until the reflector peeled off. I suppose I could have used the card for the bottom of the reflector but I stuck with the flat head and applyed gentle pressure from the inside of the fender.

- The remaining adhesive easily peels off in your fingers. Look at your removed reflector to see where there are peices of adhesive missing and it'll help you find whats left stuck to the fender.

- After that just stick the new one in and enjoy!

got it

wheel position

One of my tools. As you can see the card gets pretty thrashed.

Last edited by BMV///M3; 07-14-2012 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: Job complete
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #91
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

I'd like to try this mod sometime. I don't like the orange look.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #92
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

I did this finally and it was tougher than expected. It would be much easier to do it with the wheels off the car. I just used a very small flathead screwdriver and a hairdryer. It takes a lot of heating with the hairdryer and lots of patience. It turned out alright.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #93
CaliBMW86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i; Ducati S4RS

E90 Side Reflector Removal

Removed the side reflectors yesterday, no heat gun or hair dryer was needed.

It was almost 90 degrees in the bay area yesterday; after a 20 min ride the car was a little hot. To remove the reflector all I did was use a flat head screw driver, and leverage it under the reflector, and it came off in under a minute. Be careful to still go easy on that part of the fender since it is fragile.

For E90 loosen the top bolt on the wheel well splash guard, it will make it easier to get to the top edge of the reflector to remove it, and take off the old glue. Also helps to put the new one one.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #94
Turbo335iATX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
thanks was so easy, didnt even have to use the new tape, was still on car and sticky

JB4, Cowl Filters, Oil Catch Can, Sport Oil Cooler Valve Modified bmw Clutch Valve, Short Shift Kit, Short Throw Clutch Stop, VSRF 7" IC, VSRF 3" Downpipes, HKS Bov SSq3, ER Charge Pipe, H&R Sport Coilovers, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch & Flywheel, Stoptech Brakes, BMW P Exhaust, Dual Cone K&N Filters
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #95
Thatoneguy_335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 STi, 2010 R6 & a Celica :)

Has anyone seen this....

I took mine off because the driver side was cracked. I bought a set off ebay (impulse buy) thinking, its just a reflector, shouldn't be a problem replacing it...

Here is the issue, it seems that the ebay reflector is perfectly cut for the location but for some reason they dont match up with the bumper, almost like they need to be bowed a little bit to fit the bumper. Is this normal? I don't have the stock reflectors any more so I cant remember.
Appreciate 0