E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My COBB Access Port Review

02-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #45
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
A fellow Reigatian

SRR is not far from Woking over in Longcross next to the M3.
TG Track is further sth not far from Cranleigh.

I'm guessing there's not much in it in terms of distance between AMD & SRR & £35.00 for two runs is good value.
So you're from round here too? Nice to see a local membe, I thought I was all on my own.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #46
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Update

So, COBB Stage 1 Aggressive ST is very hair raising in the cold, wet conditions of a Sunday morning. What a rubbish day we had yesterday but I needed to use the machine to take me to a go-karting grudge match (very good fun by the way, sorry to the random 14yr old kid who got bullied and his @rse handed to him lap by lap). I woke up at 8am and looked out, more bloody snow which annoyed me so I had to take it easy all the way there but even on part throttle and getting up to speed the thing wanted to take off however, the TCS on fully really controlled things here and prevented any silly moments, a very good system indeed. Anyway, when I was nearly there the oil temp was almost ready so I pulled into a lay-by to let it jump up all the way...then I pulled away with DSC half off. 1st gear and a moderate amount of throttle the wheels lit right up with DSC interferring, cutting power until I had some grip again, 2nd gear initially managed to bite the tarmac then again the car slipped with DSC telling me off. I stopped being a child at this point and cruised, then hammered it in 3rd and a little 4th just to see what would happen and the car was stepping out of shape again so with a big kid-like grin I called it quits and parked up at the venue to let her cool down.

I then destroyed all of my karting rivals and took the journey home. The car warmed up quickly so off I went again but the temp had risen outside enough to provide a little more grip so with DSC half off I gunned it to 56mph (I'm limited) on a dual carriage way and after a little grumble from the DSC it just gripped and nearly snapped my neck, I had to come off of the throttle a little to prepare myself before doing it again (until I get used to it anyway), that was until an Audi S3 matched my speed to keep the flow of traffic moving as it should who then proceeded to put his car in reverse and go backwards I can only assume as I only tickled the throttle on mine to take me from 54mph to 56mph.

So anyway, that was my experience and I absolutely loved it but I really can't wait to try this in the dry when it's warmer and with DSC fully off, that annoying DSC interuption will be gone and the car will bolt right from the get go but for now, I'm going to be safe, so should you all, be careful .
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #47
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Nice one!

Stupid questions coming through....

1. Did you guys receive a "manual" with the Cobb?
2. Do you guys have a description of each map? i.e map 0 = valet mode, map 1 = std remap, map 2 = std remap plus downpipes, intercooler etc, map 3 for meth or nos or whatever other mods etc....
3. And a really stupid one, lets say I have a friend who's got a 335i, can I use the Cobb to "give him" a remap? Is the Cobb locked to only 1 vin/ car ?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #48
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

It's loads of fun, severe power delivery in low RPM's though, more so than my old VAGs or Subaru.

1. Yes
2. It's not really set out this way, more so...

Stage 0 is COBB's interpretation of stock
Stage 1 is set into Drive, Sport & Aggressive, boost pressure increases in each map in this order. Then you can choose Linear or Stock Throttle, Libear being progressive and Stock Throttle being high boost low down in the revs. No mods required.
Stage 2 is air filter and down pipes. Same options as Stage 1.
Stage 2+ is as Stage 2 but with FMIC needed. Same options again.
Valet is well, Valet . Limited to 4000rpm.

3. No, locked to one car at a time.

I hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #49
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Thanks for the quick reply.

Last one, do you know how much boost your car is running on the stage 1 maps?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #50
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

Last one, do you know how much boost your car is running on the stage 1 maps?
I don't but I've only driven the car twice, I can log it for you this weekend hopefully though . I believe it should be 14psi peak though.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #51
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!!

Any idea what 2+ boost psi is or what kinda power it puts down?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #52
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

On aggressive S2+ most of the American's seem to peak at 18-19psi low down and taper to 14psi at redline. They claim some good numbers, around 430-440bhp at the fly and over 400whp. Alpina on here could tell you soon though as he's on this tune now with all the mods, will be a while for me to get there and I'm still unsure if I will, I bought the 'vert so I wouldn't play too much with it . Still, for a heavy lump it still goes and handles well too, if I was serious about the track then I'd change to an E90 I think and transfer the mods over, that's my excuse for when I start a family anyway!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #53
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Tnx...

I've got dp's n ETS fmic but I don't think the stock turbos will to pleased with 18 psi, seems overly aggressive!!

Any idea what stage2 + sport kicks out? Would imagine 15 - 16psi, I'de be happy with that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #54
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
On aggressive S2+ most of the American's seem to peak at 18-19psi low down and taper to 14psi at redline. They claim some good numbers, around 430-440bhp at the fly and over 400whp. Alpina on here could tell you soon though as he's on this tune now with all the mods.
COBB stage 2+FMIC aggressive - which I ran for two days before handing over the car to my garage for the next mods - goes up to 18.5psi pursuant to my boost gauge. Independent of the outside temperatures, by the way, so it seems they are not purely load targeting with the DME but also boost targeting as I measured this boost pressure at minus 8 degrees Celsius. Pursuant to COBB, 18psi in midrange (it tapers up top to around 14) is still within the efficiency range of the turbos, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Of course it will cause more wear than if you're running stock with 8psi or so, that's for sure.

With my previous GIAC stage 2 flash I had 433hp and 677Nm at the flywheel. The COBB felt faster or at least with even more torque, and was also more responsive and faster to ramp up the boost. I would expect that on stock turbos this remap is good for around 450hp and 700Nm torque if you're FBO like me. I won't be able to confirm this on a dyno though, as right now I get upgraded turbos fitted and therefor the numbers will be different anyway.

It's silly fast though, much more than I could use with the current weather conditions. Even in the dry I got wheelspin in 4th gear on some occasions. And that with 265mm tires on the rear....but it's fun - and you're able to overtake others on the motorway so quickly and without downshifting it's almost caricatural.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #55
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Here is an update after my first proper drive of my car post-remap and most definitely a few brown pants moments.

First thing, note to self, the speed I feel like I'm doing is not the actual speed, it's much more. I got caught out big time doing a 2nd & 3rd gear pull where warp speed was achieved & there were still three gears to use, this thing is insane and just doesn't stop going, I will openly admit that it scared me in places as I just wasn't expecting such a power hit, it's also a huge transition from FWD & 4WD that I'm used to. In the wrong hands this car will kill someone, it's a serious big boys toy and I'm glad I have some track experience to handle it and know limits. RWD & TCS off (no silly driver aids or 4WD), it's pretty f@cking raw and you need to be paying attention. For your average motorist, remapping this car is not a good idea and God only knows whats Stage 2+ feels like which is essentially just as big of a jump as Stage 1. I'm really going to enjoy driving this about but it's all about being safe so don't expect any street racing, I'm not sure I'd have the balls at the moment anyway with such little experience driving it. The car had plenty of grip, I was really surprised but it handles so well even with all the power however, I am definitely going to ditch the OE wheels & run-flats some time very soon for something wider and stickier.

I wanted to test out my findings with some extra weight in the car so went and picked up my Dad (big guy), the car wasn't phased at all so I can only guess at the torque it's throwing out, I'm sure I'll see on the rollers in a couple of weeks. I know general opinion is that the E93 is a lard bucket but I really haven't noticed at all, well done BMW & COBB!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #56
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

I had many moments of near wet pants time! Step on it on DS I had the rear sliding..thank god I had the traction control on which it corrected my driving! Lol

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:10 AM   #57
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Very nice update JamJay! Great to see you enjoy the car so much. I would say your next upgrade should be a Quaife diff as with this if the rear end slides out it is more predictable.

BTW do you use the stock throttle or linear throttle map? I've found the linear one to be more to my liking as it's a bit more predictable, not like an on/off switch.

I've received a stage 3 pump map from COBB yesterday by the way, and will test that once I get my car back from the shop hopefully this week-end. Then it's on to methanol maps for even more power...

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #58
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I tend to drive with the DSC completely off as I like to control the power with my foot, I guess this comes from how I've driven other cars. I turn DSC on totally when the weather is bad and DSC half off when the roads are a little greasy. Feeling the rear step out sideways at 70mph is quite an experience, I also realise that there's less sense of speed in this car than others I have driven so as 120mph is made in a heartbeat I need to watch it. I had the pleasure of using the car today actually so took it for a little blast, my facial expression must be funny to watch because it goes from 'oh sh*t' to massive smiles & the 'oh sh*t' again. I've not had anyone having a poke at me yet but I am confident to say that this car should be up there with some real metal.

I use the ST map, it's just how I'm used to driving now. My VAGs & Subaru felt this way so I am most comfortable with such a burst rather than a progressive feeling. COBB have done a good job keeping the stock thottle characterisics though, the huge surge of power at 4000rpm is still there and reminds me of one of my old VTEC toys but just MUCH MUCH better .

Really looking forward to your results Alpina, once I'm used to Stage 1 I'll head for Stage 2+ and probably follow in your footsteps with the rest of it. LSD is a consideration but I bought the E93 over E92 to stop me going mad on it and throwing at a race track .
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #59
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Really looking forward to your results Alpina, once I'm used to Stage 1 I'll head for Stage 2+ and probably follow in your footsteps with the rest of it.
The "rest" is quite a bit...
Quote:
LSD is a consideration but I bought the E93 over E92 to stop me going mad on it and throwing at a race track .
Which somewhat contradicts your previous statement if I may say so...

In any case, LSD is a tremendous addition to the fun factor in driving, and not at all only on a race track.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #60
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
The "rest" is quite a bit...
Which somewhat contradicts your previous statement if I may say so...

In any case, LSD is a tremendous addition to the fun factor in driving, and not at all only on a race track.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Sorry, I meant suspension bits but Stage 2 is where it stops power wise . If you go for an LSD then you may as well go the whole hog but I won't be.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #61
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Good stuff guys!

saving, saving and saving now!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:33 AM   #62
paapaa
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 335i AT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux;

Alpina_B3_Lux
Thanks for all the info you have allready told me by pm.
Just a public question here too:
with cobb AP and cattless dp´s...yes no problem and no CEL error,and this
is confirmed by Cobb tech support too ..BUT

anyone did a yearly car inspection and man hook up to the OBD port and does it give OBD ready or do all cattless dp´s + cobb AP have to remove the downpipes to OEM before going into inspection...thats hard to believe...really want another option or fix rather than changing the OEM DP´s
on/off/on/off....every year.

must be many that have upgraded downpipes with stage2+ and done the
yearly car inspection.

+

Is the ST hmm sportier and more recommended than linear throttle...?

Last edited by paapaa; 02-27-2012 at 02:40 AM.. Reason: +
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #63
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paapaa View Post
Thanks for all the info you have allready told me by pm.
Just a public question here too:
with cobb AP and cattless dp´s...yes no problem and no CEL error,and this
is confirmed by Cobb tech support too ..BUT

anyone did a yearly car inspection and man hook up to the OBD port and does it give OBD ready or do all cattless dp´s + cobb AP have to remove the downpipes to OEM before going into inspection...thats hard to believe...really want another option or fix rather than changing the OEM DP´s
on/off/on/off....every year.

It depends on the rules in your country. In the UK there is no OBD inspection, only a gas-probe is put up the tail pipe.

Nonetheless, I even though I have JB4 with 'CEL' cancel, I kept the DP fix wired in so that even on OBD inspection the post-CAT O2 sensors still give a 'correct' figure as if the CATs were present.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #64
paapaa
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
It depends on the rules in your country. In the UK there is no OBD inspection, only a gas-probe is put up the tail pipe.

Nonetheless, I even though I have JB4 with 'CEL' cancel, I kept the DP fix wired in so that even on OBD inspection the post-CAT O2 sensors still give a 'correct' figure as if the CATs were present.
in Finland they do the gas-probe and OBD test to see if there has been problems.i read some forum something like the Cobb AP changes the min-max values to so high that the values even with upgraded cats will pass the OBD test...of course i will see this when i install all and test but would be worth of gold to me...if i would know before the install that "hey i install a fix like BMS DP fix" too.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #65
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paapaa View Post
Doughboy already answered your other question, so I'll limit myself to this - the standard throttle does not give you more power, but ramps up the power quicker as with 60% throttle position you'll already get almost 100% boost target. It's a matter of personal preference whether you like the standard or linear throttle. I find linear to be better manageable, but if you prefer the kick-in-the-back feeling then you'll prefer the standard throttle mapping.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-27-2012, 03:51 AM   #66
paapaa
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

thanks to both of you.

so its quite a matter of own opinion and experience about if the ST or Linear is better IF the linear is as fast as ST for example 1/4 mile or 1 mile top end speed...then i think the linear is more likely the one i will use.

and i just read on wrx/Cobb AP/cattless "forum"´s message that Cobb AP will expand the values so high that should be no CEL warnings to ecu,if i am correct then there should be no problem with the OBD test.
Appreciate 0