E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Spark Plug won't come out!

05-15-2023, 10:37 AM   #1
Inquisitive
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Spark Plug won't come out!

I’m replacing my valve cover/gasket/PCV valve to address one of the leaks in my 2007 335i. I pulled the coils, injectors, fuel rod, and lines for cleaning. 2 spark plug tubes were filled with oil when I removed the cover.

All the spark plugs came out easily except for one. It is absolutely stuck. I’ve soaked it for almost 2 days in PB penetrating catalyst and is still will not move at all. What is the next step? I finally got the new valve cover/gasket on yesterday but am hesitant to tighten the bolts because of this stupid spark plug.

I am about to lose my mind over this spark plug. I’m a single mom and haven’t had a car for 2 weeks because of a leaking front crankshaft seal. I am trying and trying to fix it all myself to save money. I had thought it was the gaskets in the oil filter housing, but it still leaked after I replaced both of those.

What is the next step after this? Is it something that I could do myself?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 10:56 AM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Honestly, reinstall your plugs and take it to a mechanic at this point. You really, really don't want to break off a plug in the head. It's a huge deal on these cars. Fixing a broken plug in a head is way more expensive than paying someone to replace the plugs.

There are certain situations that are worth paying someone to do with their expertise. I'd personally qualify this as one of them.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 05-15-2023 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 3
      05-15-2023, 11:49 AM   #3
Inquisitive
Rep

Okay, thank you! I will go ahead and tighten the valve cover/install fuel lines/connect the harness. I have someone coming to replace the front crankshaft seal when the tool comes in. I wasn’t comfortable doing that myself either. The other five spark plugs are already in and new. I will get a shop to fix it once it’s running again.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 07:22 PM   #4
bmwbob89
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328XI 04 325XI 740 88 M5

If it's running okay with that plug I would leave it alone. If it breaks off your going to have a huge repair. Wait until you really need to replace it. My 2 cents.
Appreciate 3
      05-15-2023, 10:45 PM   #5
sgtfury40
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
If it's running okay with that plug I would leave it alone. If it breaks off your going to have a huge repair. Wait until you really need to replace it. My 2 cents.
Agreed. Or at least until you put enough money aside to cover the worse case scenario of pulling the head.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 05:54 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

What is the maintenance history of the engine? Which cylinder is the plug stuck in? How many miles are on the engine? Who replaced the spark plugs the last time?

A spark plug should never get stuck in a cylinderhead. It's stuck most likely because it was improperly installed.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 07:19 AM   #7
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
What is the maintenance history of the engine? Which cylinder is the plug stuck in? How many miles are on the engine? Who replaced the spark plugs the last time?

A spark plug should never get stuck in a cylinderhead. It's stuck most likely because it was improperly installed.
maybe, but most time is because it the wrong sparkplug. Don't because it look the same , that it's the same thread.
And if like you said, let say it was cross threaded, ouf... can be hard to recover.

Also, I tend to torque them lightly , after the resistance of the crush washer I do 1/8'' turn. It never come loose, anyway coilpack helps. Also use dielectric grease.

Anyway, I already saw a mechanic using a manual impact driver ( the one that you hit with a hammer) . less aggressive than a electric impact and less risk to snap it with a ratchet and a breaker bar.

also can be stupid like put back the engine togheter , let the engine run at full T°, shut it off, and then quickly try to remove the stuck one.
Appreciate 3
      05-16-2023, 09:05 AM   #8
Inquisitive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

I’ve had it close to a year and just paid it off last month. It’s at 150k miles right now. I planned on doing milestone services and upgrades after I got that taken care of. I almost made it there.

The maintenance history: it seems to have been well-maintained by the first 2 owners, the first having it for 8 yrs and the second trading it in after 6. Their work doesn’t show up on the carfax report. Then, some younger person got ahold of it and ran it through the ringer before I bought it. I’ve had the oil changed 3 times in the last year and tires/brakes/rotors. My BIL installed new upper radiator hoses and replaced the serpentine belt last month. And have done normal maintenance myself, like cabin/engine filter, wiper blades, etc.

Four of the coils are original (17 yrs old), I can tell that the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gaskets have been replaced before, water pump & bolts have been replaced, but everything else so far seems to be original. Whoever changed the spark plugs last used NGK and not the Bosch recommended plugs. The plug that’s stuck is at cylinder 2.

I plan on learning how to do more myself. I’ve bought VANOS solenoids, a new MAP sensor, O2 sensors, coolant temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, vacuum hoses- all of which I will do once I can get the front crankshaft seal replaced and it’s running again.

In the last 2 weeks I’ve pumped out the coolant, pulled the oil housing filter and changed both gaskets, cleaned the manifold/throttle body and put new gaskets on those, cleaned 4 of the 6 intake valves pretty well which were horrible, cleaned up a ton of oil on various parts and hoses, pulled off the undercarriage to clean it. I’ve also pulled the injectors and cleaned off the carbon buildup. I have a new valve cover/gasket/upgraded pcv valve on there right now and just need to tighten/connect everything. The timing chain and every component I can see inside the engine looks great to my non-mechanic eyes.

I plan on buying a new radiator, alternator, battery, coils, and doing some flushes on the fluids as well soon. All of which look like hasn’t been done so far. I definitely plan on buying one of those guards so that the belt doesn’t get shredded and break the front crankshaft seal again. I will probably have someone change the oil pan gasket and rear crankshaft seal, that is way past what I’m comfortable doing and they will be able to tell more about the condition of the engine.

I really love how this car drives and want to make it more reliable. I honestly don’t trust most mechanics and people working on this car anymore. I paid $200 5 months ago for mechanics to diagnose a small oil leak. They couldn’t even tell me it was a simple fix near the oil filter housing and said they couldn’t find it. That in turn broke my serpentine belt and then that shredded belt broke my front crankshaft seal. Better to learn how to do this myself.
Appreciate 3
      05-16-2023, 09:25 AM   #9
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
I’ve had it close to a year and just paid it off last month. It’s at 150k miles right now. I planned on doing milestone services and upgrades after I got that taken care of. I almost made it there.

The maintenance history: it seems to have been well-maintained by the first 2 owners, the first having it for 8 yrs and the second trading it in after 6. Their work doesn’t show up on the carfax report. Then, some younger person got ahold of it and ran it through the ringer before I bought it. I’ve had the oil changed 3 times in the last year and tires/brakes/rotors. My BIL installed new upper radiator hoses and replaced the serpentine belt last month. And have done normal maintenance myself, like cabin/engine filter, wiper blades, etc.

Four of the coils are original (17 yrs old), I can tell that the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gaskets have been replaced before, water pump & bolts have been replaced, but everything else so far seems to be original. Whoever changed the spark plugs last used NGK and not the Bosch recommended plugs. The plug that’s stuck is at cylinder 2.

I plan on learning how to do more myself. I’ve bought VANOS solenoids, a new MAP sensor, O2 sensors, coolant temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, vacuum hoses- all of which I will do once I can get the front crankshaft seal replaced and it’s running again.

In the last 2 weeks I’ve pumped out the coolant, pulled the oil housing filter and changed both gaskets, cleaned the manifold/throttle body and put new gaskets on those, cleaned 4 of the 6 intake valves pretty well which were horrible, cleaned up a ton of oil on various parts and hoses, pulled off the undercarriage to clean it. I’ve also pulled the injectors and cleaned off the carbon buildup. I have a new valve cover/gasket/upgraded pcv valve on there right now and just need to tighten/connect everything. The timing chain and every component I can see inside the engine looks great to my non-mechanic eyes.

I plan on buying a new radiator, alternator, battery, coils, and doing some flushes on the fluids as well soon. All of which look like hasn’t been done so far. I definitely plan on buying one of those guards so that the belt doesn’t get shredded and break the front crankshaft seal again. I will probably have someone change the oil pan gasket and rear crankshaft seal, that is way past what I’m comfortable doing and they will be able to tell more about the condition of the engine.

I really love how this car drives and want to make it more reliable. I honestly don’t trust most mechanics and people working on this car anymore. I paid $200 5 months ago for mechanics to diagnose a small oil leak. They couldn’t even tell me it was a simple fix near the oil filter housing and said they couldn’t find it. That in turn broke my serpentine belt and then that shredded belt broke my front crankshaft seal. Better to learn how to do this myself.

Is this an N54? Like 2007 to 2010 335? You haven't said specifically what motor but all the details point towards it. You're a single parent and it's your only transportation? Sounds like you like to live dangerously.
Appreciate 4
      05-16-2023, 09:31 AM   #10
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoelaces View Post
Is this an N54? Like 2007 to 2010 335? You haven't said specifically what motor but all the details point towards it. You're a single parent and it's your only transportation? Sounds like you like to live dangerously.
Yes, she said 07 335i so N54.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 09:47 AM   #11
Inquisitive
Rep

Quote:
Yes, an N54!

Super dangerous! Thankfully, this oil explosion happened the day before my last college exam. I did have a second car for backup, but I ended up having to scrap it over a year ago. My plan was to get this car paid off and up-to-date and then buy a van to fix up. My daughter is obsessed with those van life stories and I thought it would be a good backup car too. I honestly didn’t know much about cars until my divorce, he did everything. I’m learning. Other than the stressful parts and aching hands/injuries, this is kind of fun.

My mom has been letting me drive her spare car to work. I’ve been having to stay with her because my apartment complex doesn’t allow tenants to work on their cars in the parking lot.
Appreciate 3
      05-16-2023, 09:50 AM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
I to like to live dangerously My 335is is my only car/daily and if it breaks I take the bus
Appreciate 3
      05-16-2023, 10:37 AM   #13
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, an N54!

Super dangerous! Thankfully, this oil explosion happened the day before my last college exam. I did have a second car for backup, but I ended up having to scrap it over a year ago. My plan was to get this car paid off and up-to-date and then buy a van to fix up. My daughter is obsessed with those van life stories and I thought it would be a good backup car too. I honestly didn’t know much about cars until my divorce, he did everything. I’m learning. Other than the stressful parts and aching hands/injuries, this is kind of fun.

My mom has been letting me drive her spare car to work. I’ve been having to stay with her because my apartment complex doesn’t allow tenants to work on their cars in the parking lot.
Jesus this gets even crazier. This is teetering on the edge of a future fb post in the "I see the poors are into BMW ownership" page. Single mom, kids, and doing college, with an N54 as your almost only transportation. Just a plain masochist. Next you're gonna tell me you're door dashing as work. I applaud anyone for wanting to learn and maintain their vehicle. But this is next level crazy, big altima energy here.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 10:44 AM   #14
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I to like to live dangerously My 335is is my only car/daily and if it breaks I take the bus
At least you have public transport option. Where OP is, Alabama, the bus probably isn't a thing. The US public transit aside from a few cities is non existant.

I thought all canadians had winter beaters permanently running snow tires that the salt and dirt could be rinsed off and act as emergency transportation?

I'm up to 5 registered vehicles for 3 drivers in my house. 2 BMW's of which are N54 and M62. 3 backup japanese vehicles left stock. And I work from home mostly. I don't lose any sleep at night, just money on insurance and registration fees.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 11:00 AM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
At least you have public transport option. Where OP is, Alabama, the bus probably isn't a thing. The US public transit aside from a few cities is non existant.

I thought all canadians had winter beaters permanently running snow tires that the salt and dirt could be rinsed off and act as emergency transportation?

I'm up to 5 registered vehicles for 3 drivers in my house. 2 BMW's of which are N54 and M62. 3 backup japanese vehicles left stock. And I work from home mostly. I don't lose any sleep at night, just money on insurance and registration fees.
Yeah that's fair point. Although my public transportation is nothing to write home about... my 20mins commute by car becomes an hour+.

You're right for that to, most that have a nice or summer car have a winter beater but I can't stand driving a civic or other beater for half the year you know. I put winters on my 335is and enjoy it. I know it will accelerate rust for sure but I try to rinse it (although I'm sure it does only a marginal difference). The main thing though IMO is the way the E92 is built it's pretty rust resistant on its own. Pretty sure the one I have now was winter driven before and it's in good shape.

I should probably still get some kind of second car at one point... japanese seems a good idea, but since I don't want a "lower" tier car I'd probably try Lexus but have no idea if they are as reliable/good second car. But like my car has been so reliable idk, hard to justify a second one in my situation.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #16
Inquisitive
Rep

Quote:
Jesus this gets even crazier. This is teetering on the edge of a future fb post in the "I see the poors are into BMW ownership" page. Single mom, kids, and doing college, with an N54 as your almost only transportation. Just a plain masochist. Next you're gonna tell me you're door dashing as work. I applaud anyone for wanting to learn and maintain their vehicle. But this is next level crazy, big altima energy here.
😂 How is that crazy? I know plenty of married men that put themselves into “crazy” situations. One brother-in-law is a cop with just one family car. The other BIL is great with cars but is deep in repairing BOTH of their cars at the moment after buying a old car on impulse. I’ve known plenty of families relying on just one car. I’ve had a backup car and plan to get another after I’ve gotten this one up-to-date.

I’m not a doordasher or poor. I don’t see how trying to save thousands of dollars makes one poor. I could end up saving well over 5% of my income doing this work myself. I’m a geneticist back in school for a third degree. One kid. I don’t do social media.

I see that you’re having fun with my post 😆
Appreciate 4
Mike K322.00
BRG_N54296.50
      05-16-2023, 11:25 AM   #17
Inquisitive
Rep

Quote:
It is so fun to rarely get caught by a red light on the way to work at 4am! It’s a great daily driver! So smooth.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 11:31 AM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
�� How is that crazy? I know plenty of married men that put themselves into “crazy” situations. One brother-in-law is a cop with just one family car. The other BIL is great with cars but is deep in repairing BOTH of their cars at the moment after buying a old car on impulse. I’ve known plenty of families relying on just one car. I’ve had a backup car and plan to get another after I’ve gotten this one up-to-date.

I’m not a doordasher or poor. I don’t see how trying to save thousands of dollars makes one poor. I could end up saving well over 5% of my income doing this work myself. I’m a geneticist back in school for a third degree. One kid. I don’t do social media.

I see that you’re having fun with my post ��
I have to say I also misunderstood your situation, if you have the money/income for it and time then yeah should be fine. Thought you were like maybe a young student with a student type job. Parts cost stack up quick. I learned everything to work on cars from this car. I do everything on it I can.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:47 AM   #19
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
I have to say I also misunderstood your situation, if you have the money/income for it and time then yeah should be fine. Thought you were like maybe a young student with a student type job. Parts cost stack up quick. I learned everything to work on cars from this car. I do everything on it I can.
In most case a used 07' 335, unless it's a barn find with 30k miles, it's not a good car if you can't live without it a couple of days.

Even if they are good cars that stay away from a towing, they have a ton of small issues that require constant wrenching.

Most E90 N54 on the market now is for enthusiast or 2nd-3rd car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:48 AM   #20
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
Quote:
�� How is that crazy? I know plenty of married men that put themselves into “crazy” situations. One brother-in-law is a cop with just one family car. The other BIL is great with cars but is deep in repairing BOTH of their cars at the moment after buying a old car on impulse. I’ve known plenty of families relying on just one car. I’ve had a backup car and plan to get another after I’ve gotten this one up-to-date.

I see that you’re having fun with my post ��
I think they mean that in 2023, generally speaking, owning any N54 powered car as an only means of transportation is not the best idea, let alone if you have another human relying on you and are being pulled in a bunch of different directions (school, job, etc.). The N54 is considered to be unreliable and can be costly to maintain. As you mentioned in a previous post, you do have a back up plan since your mom lets you drive her spare car, though there's nothing wrong with it even if you didn't.

I've daily driven my tuned/modified N54 335i since 2015 for 100k+ miles and have really only had 2 issues that didn't allow me to make it home with the car. 1 minor overnight fix and 1 major that caused it to be down for a few months. Both could have been prevented and were due to aging coolant hoses.

I drive the absolute hell out of my car and it's proven to be pretty reliable by my definition. I often turn a 1 hour 20 minute drive to work into 50 mins flat. Hell of a daily if you ask me
Appreciate 2
      05-16-2023, 11:50 AM   #21
Inquisitive
Rep

Quote:
I have to say I also misunderstood your situation, if you have the money/income for it then yeah should be fine. Thought you were like maybe a young student with a student type job. Parts cost stack up quick. I learned everything to work on cars from this car. I do everything on it I can.
That’s fine.

I did a spreadsheet and using estimates found online, I’ve already saved $3000 in labor costs with what’s done. It will be double that within the next month. I think I’ve spent $1500 for tools, supplies and parts so far. I’m having issues trusting mechanics after they couldn’t find the leak, ruined my battery, sold me a bad batch of tires with wrong sizes, and refused to change my oil filter because they thought it was broke. It would cost well over $20k in labor to get this car up-to-date.

Working on this car is kinda fun. But the single spark plug obstructing me sent me for a loop.
Appreciate 3
      05-16-2023, 12:23 PM   #22
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Okay, thank you! I will go ahead and tighten the valve cover/install fuel lines/connect the harness. I have someone coming to replace the front crankshaft seal when the tool comes in. I wasn’t comfortable doing that myself either. The other five spark plugs are already in and new. I will get a shop to fix it once it’s running again.
I've burned myself one too many times getting in over my head :P I've learned that I can DIY a lot of things, but some things really need the expertise and proper tools of a mechanic to deal with. I used to hate admitting defeat, but instead I look at it as learning my own limitations.
Appreciate 2