E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The 'Admit It You've Done This Sort Of Stupid Thing' Thread

09-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #67
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

deleted the email associated with my MHD and xHP purchases (forgot they were tied to that account) and now have to repurchase all licenses
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #68
mawzi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is MT

Brake fluid in the power steering reservoir...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #69
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe 6mt

When I was like 18 I had a mazda mx3 and got some new wheels for it, I did not at the time realize I needed different lugs than my factory ones, I also did not realize the lugs needed to be checked after a little bit of driving.... so here I am going 75 down a two lane road, my sterring wheel starts shaking a little, and than gets more violent. Next thing I know my rf wheel is cruising down the road and into the ditch at an accelarated rate, while my car was slowing down due to the brake rotor grinding the concrete. lost a good 1/3 of the rotor it was now kind of the shape of a hard taco shell rather than completely round. Found the wheel, installed new lug nuts and drove it like that til the day I sold it hahaha
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #70
HiRev335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i sport pkg

Changing the ofhg on my buddies e90 335i had the housing off but limited room to work on it so asked him to get in press ignition put in neutral and let it roll back. He decides to put his foot on brake pedal then press the ignition . Car starts up with no ofhg on.... well the oil shot out like a cannon covering me and my driveway in oil. Stupid as me I should of got in and done it myself
Appreciate 3
      03-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #71
FamilyManTrackSedan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 pre-lci 335xi 6mt sedan

Took a year-long hiatus from e90post and came back to my thread! It went on for two years! These posts are amazing!!!
      03-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #72
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thought i would make a quick change to the XHP tranny flash and managed somehow to hook my battery charger up backwards. Smoke started pouring from the charger....lucky everything is okay including the charger. Garage still smells funky though.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #73
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

im in - cut the turn too sharp leaving last night and drove over the curb - kind of jacked up the jack pad - but nothing else..

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Fortunately - its only 10$.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lift-Suppor...1/232413100894

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #74
FamilyManTrackSedan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 pre-lci 335xi 6mt sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
im in - cut the turn too sharp leaving last night and drove over the curb - kind of jacked up the jack pad - but nothing else..
I go thru these like water. Jack stands mess em up.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #75
KClemente
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Put a new N54 in my car a couple weeks ago. When we went to start it up, it would just crank and not fire. Spent a whole good 2 hours checking fuel, spark and wiring.

Issue was that we forgot to clear the codes from the old motor hence the DME didnt feel like firing the new motor...

Quick tip, clear the codes first when you swap in a new motor
Appreciate 1
335e92tx1034.00
      03-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #76
zeezul
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
I don't know where to start... I've definitely done the not torquing lug nuts all the way. Off the top of my head; I was changing my oil a few years back in my garage. I forgot I had already loosened the oil filter cap... turned my car on and drove it up the ramps. Oil. Everywhere. All over the engine bay and on my garage floor. Another one: Doing suspension work, I thought I had everything to install new struts and springs for the front. Nope. Couldn't compress the front springs to come off the strut. That was a tow and a trip to the mechanic. My gf was pissed. Another: recent clutch job I literally sprayed brake cleaner in my eyes from about 4 inches away from my face. That was brutal. Nailed my eyebrow with the bungie corded driveshaft, and lastly at 4am that night I was trying to tighten one of the bellhousing bolts and I just kept unloosening it when I would switch arms. I was delirious. Finally got it in about 20 minutes later.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 01:21 AM   #77
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

The unthinkable - happening in Boeing too ?? It looks like an added task for me when planning to travel by air - which aircfraft am I on?? Any way, over the weekend when doing an oil change on my E39, just caught in time that I forgot to install the filter after torqueing up the oil filter cap. I saw the oil filter sitting on the work bench. Lesson learned - always intentionally and systematically place stuff you're going to replace (or uninstall) on a work bench. That way if you leave out something during re-assembly, you will be able to spot the error right away - nothing should be left behind.

Last edited by musa; 03-28-2019 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #78
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
The unthinkable - happening in Boeing too ?? It looks like an added task for me when planning to travel by air - which aircfraft am I on?? Any way, over the weekend when doing an oil change on my E39, just caught in time that I forgot to install the filter after torqueing up the oil filter cap. I saw the oil filter sitting on the work bench. Lesson learned - always intentionally and systematically place stuff you're going to replace (or uninstall) on a work bench. That way if you leave out something during re-assembly, you will be able to spot the error right away - nothing should be left behind.
I put my new oil filter on my driver seat right next to my new jug(s) of oil.

I've never forgotten using this method. Cant start the damn thing without seeing those sitting there first.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:06 AM   #79
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
OP I thought you were going to say that you forgot to reattach a caliper or to reinstall brake pads! I'll take wheel chocks any day of the week!

Years ago I had a stupid situation take place that was a result of having too many cooks in the kitchen. My dad, uncle and myself were replacing the head gasket on my Civic. Instead of listing out and assigning tasks, we all just started pulling things apart like a finely oiled machine (ha!).

Everything went smoothly, it seemed. We replaced the HG, reinstalled the head, timing belt and topped her off with 4 quarts of oil. Upon starting her up, she instantly began spraying oil from the front of the engine. It made no sense. After an hour of scratching our heads we realized our stupid mistake. No one drained the original oil. The overfilled oil blew the cam seals on the engine and we had to tear the engine down all over again to replace that seal. Moral of the story: Apparently 8 quarts of oil is > 3.7 quarts of capacity. #slapsforehead
I had one like this... i was always a gear head from a young age. When I was 14 or 15, I had a buddy that could drive, he had one of those squared pontiac grand ams. I insisted I knew how to change oil and would save him a few bucks. We drain it, replace the filter. When it comes time to put the new oil in, I'm dumping quart after quart into the valve cover. About 12 quarts in and I still can't see any oil in the crank case. Luckily my dad came home from work and started grilling us on what we were doing/what went wrong... .had to change the oil again and put in the required 4.25 quarts... gotta learn somehow.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #80
Newb_bimmerE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E92 335i

Last summer when I was installing my charge pipe I stuffed paper towels in the turbo inlets so I didn't drop anything in them. It started getting dark as I started putting stuff back together and forgot to take the paper towels out of the front intake tube. Spent a few days trying to figure out why I wasn't building any boost... Was looking everywhere for a boost leak until it dawned on me that I may have forgotten about the paper towels. Sure enough, pull of the intercooler and what looked like cotton was stuck on the hot side of the interior fins. Bought an endoscope and took a look... Big wad of paper towel stuck in the turbine. After hours of fishing with the endoscope and a bent clothes hanger I got most of it out and then drove the car just flogging on it until it eventually ate up the rest of the paper towel... Not my proudest moment.
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #81
BrazyN54
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I was doing brakes on my e30, finished everything up and my dad comes by and looks at me weird I'm like what? He points to the pass rear brake caliper and the friction side is facing out LOL.

Different E30 I was doing a suspension overhaul I had the front strut housing out, it was time to assemble everything together I was beating a housing back onto the DRIVER side control arm and tie rod but nothing would line up it shouldn't be that hard to put back on...I take it out and I see a random R on the bottom and the other one had an L...... yea lmao

Doing an alternator swap on a friends 2008 335i
about 80% done, I went to plug in the BSD wire and it was caught on something....
I didn't move it out the way when I was bolting up the brackets and alternator back together...it got smushed.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #82
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Had to remove an A/C compressor clutch on my Subaru. Removed the snap ring for the outer section, didn't see a snap ring for the inner section, and decided it must be pressed on. Removed the pulley with a puller, snapping the retaining ridge off the compressor snout. At that point I realized the inner snap ring was covered by clutch dust. Had to replace the compressor.
Two benefits of that incident:
1. It's when I learned to repair A/C systems.
2. It was the first, and last, time I drank beer while working on a car.
Appreciate 0