E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need to Drain/Fill Transmission fluid. Odds of Catastrophic failure?

07-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
Zearkos
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Need to Drain/Fill Transmission fluid. Odds of Catastrophic failure?

Yo.

So I'm at a crossroads, and i'm pretty sure that I'm going to end up doing a drain/fill, along with a pan and filter swap on my automatic 2011 335Xi E90. Current mileage is at ~98500 miles.

Recently, I haven't been putting my car into Sport mode often, because the shifting is getting rougher than when I got it. Not noticeable to passengers, but I notice it. Well, that has started to happen as well in non-sport mode. on occassion, the shift will be quite... pronounced and noticeable, compared to the barely noticeable way it was upon purchase.

So here's the problem, I'm not 100% sure if I should do it. I mean I know if I change the fluid, filter, and pan, (and reset adaptations) there's only 2 outcomes.

One, it works great and there's no issues, goes back to buttery smooth shifts.
Or two, complete catastrophic failure because the excess clutch material in the transmission fluid was the only thing keeping it going.

I know I probably should do it, but i'm uneasy about possibly making my only car in my household completely crap out.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

I would check the fluid level before doing anything else. I'd be very surprised to find a transmission that's actually worn/wearing out at only 98k miles, but if it's leaking and is a little low on fluid you'll get hard shifts.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
Zearkos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
I would check the fluid level before doing anything else. I'd be very surprised to find a transmission that's actually worn/wearing out at only 98k miles, but if it's leaking and is a little low on fluid you'll get hard shifts.
Fair enough, that's a solid piece of advice before jumping straight into a full drain/fill. Dunno why I didn't think of that, but thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Send it.

If your transmission is at the point where it only lives because of the excess clutch material then it wouldn't last to long more than that IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
Zearkos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Send it.

If your transmission is at the point where it only lives because of the excess clutch material then it wouldn't last to long more than that IMO.
I'm only operating on theory, I haven't inspected the system since it's a closed system. I just know that the standard trans fluid is "lifetime" which is code for 100k miles. No idea how the fluid is, but i'm going to inspect before moving forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
ouderkirk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Any update? I would really like to know how the job went and what are you observing now?

Over the Labor Day weekend I did a fluid service on my front differential (AWD 06 325xi) and had a pretty substantial transmission leak happen after the car was no longer level.

My story

Plan was to do transfer case too, but after lifting front end I got the splash plate off the transmission section and the splash plate looked good.... dry.... no oil puddle.

The transmission pan though did appear have some slight leaking toward the back of the transmission pan. Like it was slowly seeping out ... like how a power steering reservoir looks after it has been "weeping" from the top. Tacky/sticky ...... but just the back section and no major concern at that point.

I took some pictures and went about the weekend, I left the front end elevated for another 24 hours or so because I had a tire off and was going to look over the front brakes the next day.

After it was lifted at a light angel for a day I noticed a small puddle of fluid under the transmission and the tacky areas at the back of the pan was now slowly dripping oil. I put a pan there to catch it and it has easily lost a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a quart over the last couple days.

Though I am frequently jumping the gun and making bad decisions, I bought a kit from FCP Euro and I am going change the pan. Possible going even deeper and replacing the components above the valve body. If you are in for a penny, you might as well be in for a pound I say.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...24152333907kt3

The car had a sealing sleeve/mechatronics sleeve leek before I bought it (Carfax) .... but I don't see oil leaking from above the pan so I might get lucky and it was just a poorly placed gasket on the pan.

Has anyone else seen a transmission start to leak when sitting at an incline?

Once I get the whole thing up in the air I'll update as to where the leak coming from.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
Zearkos
Rep

If i'm being honest, I haven't had the chance to do ANY fluid swaps. All my time has been taken up with full time work, full-time school, coding for local owners, and certification exams.

I'm overdue for an oil change, so i'm gonna do the oil change and the transmission drain/fill all at the same time.
Appreciate 0