E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake caliper sticking ?

08-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #23
Averdi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi
Hey guys. I still have a shake from 40-55mph. It gets more noticeable the harder I drive/brake with the car. I brought it to a BMW tech and he said he's 90% sure it's a sticking brake caliper. I replaced control arms, thrust arms , wheels and tires checked, road force balanced twice , and a new alignment. The wheel also bears to the right a little bit. My question is does it sound like a sticking caliper? The one wheel is harder to spin and doesn't spin as smooth when on s lift, also it was a decent amount hotter after checking the temps after a hard drive. He said I should replaced the caliper, any other suggestions? Is there a way to service it or does it have to be replaced? Also will 335is calipers for my e92 335i?
I would replace the guide pins on both sides. Make sure you lube up the pins heavily with a good synthetic break grease. Below is a link on Amazon to the very best grease I have ever found.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05361-Sila...EKRF61SKE9NSPH

-50 to 3000 degrees. Hard to go wrong there. I would suggest filling the boot about 1/2 way and putting some on the new pins as well.

If you really, want to go cheap, you could put some sand paper or emery cloth to the old pins and shine them up and the reinsert them in with the grease.
Does the rebuilt caliper come with new pins ?
      08-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #24
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Watch out for the slide pins if you get a rebuilt caliper/mounting bracket combo. On one of the rebuilds I bought they put their "rustproofing" on the slide pins which obviously made them way too thick and were binding out of the box. I cleaned and reused the ones that came off my old ones, they were in good shape after 110k miles in the snowbelt.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #25
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
Hey guys. I still have a shake from 40-55mph. It gets more noticeable the harder I drive/brake with the car. I brought it to a BMW tech and he said he's 90% sure it's a sticking brake caliper. I replaced control arms, thrust arms , wheels and tires checked, road force balanced twice , and a new alignment. The wheel also bears to the right a little bit. My question is does it sound like a sticking caliper? The one wheel is harder to spin and doesn't spin as smooth when on s lift, also it was a decent amount hotter after checking the temps after a hard drive. He said I should replaced the caliper, any other suggestions? Is there a way to service it or does it have to be replaced? Also will 335is calipers for my e92 335i?
Hello there again,

It turns out that my caliper is not sticking, it's my control arm/thrust rod/tension strut busing is no good on both side, the toe is changing during driving... thus it pulls sometimes left sometimes right depends on road surface. but a constant pull the the left on highway.

Pretty similar to sticky caliper until I measure the rotor temperature, all normal

Hope you fix your problem with those new calipers! Mine is still squealing
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #26
Averdi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911
Quote:
Hello there again,

It turns out that my caliper is not sticking, it's my control arm/thrust rod/tension strut busing is no good on both side, the toe is changing during driving... thus it pulls sometimes left sometimes right depends on road surface. but a constant pull the the left on highway.

Pretty similar to sticky caliper until I measure the rotor temperature, all normal

I wish you luck buddy! My problem was actually the calipers thank god.
      08-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #27
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Hi, I have a set of calipers if anyone is interested.
They are fine. I took them off my car to upgrade to M-Performance brakes.

$150 + shipping takes the pair.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #28
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911
Quote:
Hello there again,

I wish you luck buddy! My problem was actually the calipers thank god.
Okay. After I install the control arm blah blah blah......

I still have brake problem
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #29
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz
Hi, I have a set of calipers if anyone is interested.
They are fine. I took them off my car to upgrade to M-Performance brakes.

$150 + shipping takes the pair.
Off what year? What model?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #30
BMWSource
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
Sounds like a sticking caliper. Could also be the early signs of a wheel bearing failure. A rebuilt caliper is fine. You can sometimes find a rebuild kit and rebuild them yourself, but I don't have that kind of time....

You will probably go through quite a bit of brake fluid during the flushing process since you are starting with an empty caliper. You'll need more than the typical flush.
I'm having a similar issue with my E90
330Xi either I have a sticking brake caliber or is it the front wheel bearing. My car makes a very loud noise with the windows up at 60-80 km/h
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #31
Savedamanualse90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd n52

I’m having the same problem, while replacing my rotors thinking they were warped I was wrong. With the new rotors I spun them and as they were turning only a part of the rotors surface touched the pads. I will also be completing a break fluid flush. while the car is driving 10-15mph I hear a intermittent rubbing sound similar to the rotors rubbing on the pads during repair. I also noticed the front bearing plates which rest on to the rotors were very slightly bent and the bearings rotation was very ruff. Potentially the problem/noise can be from a sticky caliper and front worn front bearing.
Appreciate 0