E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Any reccomendations where to get a alignment (I'm near Houston)?

07-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

Any reccomendations where to get a alignment (I'm near Houston)?

I hit a pothole so hard last night I thought I the front bumper came off. When I pulled over, I saw my front driver run flat tire punctured at the sidewall. I'm going to replace it (found a guy with the same exact tire and only 1+ tread higher than the front passenger tire), so I'm assuming I need to get a alignment?

The car low tire pressure light is on, and when I drove it home slowly, it veers to the side where the tire is damaged.

If that is the case, any suggestions? I see a dealer wanting to charge $129 for a 4 wheel alignment. I know some will say indy, but I went to two in the past, their rates weren't far away from a dealer (I'd say like $20-40 difference), and they kind of ripped me off. Typically, I would like to get a visual inspection and to see if I need alignment (i'm assuming I should tell them that if its damaged to bad, then it could be a suspension issue), but any advice, tips, etc?

I hear some mention about firestone with lifetime alignments, but never been to one.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMusician View Post
I hit a pothole so hard last night I thought I the front bumper came off. When I pulled over, I saw my front driver run flat tire punctured at the sidewall. I'm going to replace it (found a guy with the same exact tire and only 1+ tread higher than the front passenger tire), so I'm assuming I need to get a alignment?

The car low tire pressure light is on, and when I drove it home slowly, it veers to the side where the tire is damaged.

If that is the case, any suggestions? I see a dealer wanting to charge $129 for a 4 wheel alignment. I know some will say indy, but I went to two in the past, their rates weren't far away from a dealer (I'd say like $20-40 difference), and they kind of ripped me off. Typically, I would like to get a visual inspection and to see if I need alignment (i'm assuming I should tell them that if its damaged to bad, then it could be a suspension issue), but any advice, tips, etc?

I hear some mention about firestone with lifetime alignments, but never been to one.

$129 isn't bad for a dealer or a good indie as you found out. I don't know if I'd trust a Firestone or similar, but, especially in this case may want someone who knows BMW's just in case there is more wrong than just knocking it out of alignment. Just be wary of upselling so maybe don't mention your pothole explosion and see if they can get the alignment dialed in properly.
      07-30-2019, 07:56 AM   #3
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
$129 isn't bad for a dealer or a good indie as you found out. I don't know if I'd trust a Firestone or similar, but, especially in this case may want someone who knows BMW's just in case there is more wrong than just knocking it out of alignment. Just be wary of upselling so maybe don't mention your pothole explosion and see if they can get the alignment dialed in properly.
So you think its best to actually the dealer this time?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So you think its best to actually the dealer this time?
Yes or an indie that knows BMW's. What I would be afraid of using someone who wasn't experienced is that if they can't get it right you won't know if you bent something or if the shop just can't get it right.

FWIW I've paid something around $150 for an experience non-dealer alignment. ABR out in Cypress-Spring area quoted me an even higher number. ABR has a great reputation and I think only works on BMW's so you pay for that knowledge and experience.
      08-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well i wont say any names but i brought my vehicle to one of these indys near that side of town because i was smelling like burnt oil and told them hey could it be the VCG? Paid about $110-120 and they told me it was only a plastic bag stuck in the engine.

Less than a month or two later i kept smelling it and the dealer said i def had to do a Vcg. They even replaced the blower motor, and i dont smell it anymore.

I mentioned my extended warranty to both places.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well i wont say any names but i brought my vehicle to one of these indys near that side of town because i was smelling like burnt oil and told them hey could it be the VCG? Paid about $110-120 and they told me it was only a plastic bag stuck in the engine.

Less than a month or two later i kept smelling it and the dealer said i def had to do a Vcg. They even replaced the blower motor, and i dont smell it anymore.

I mentioned my extended warranty to both places.
Well maybe the positive of that indie visit is that they knew you had an extended wtty and yet still didn't try to run up a big bill. But, $110 just to pull a plastic bag is ridiculous. I guess if they had to put it on a lift and remove the undershields, but still that is high.

If you can get your alignment done for $129 or even a bit more at a dealer I'd do it. I've so far done all my own work except wtty and airbag recall. I do think BMW Houston North are pretty good from the little experience I've had.
      08-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I used Advantage BMW in Clear Lake for a custom alignment and they did it per my specs. I was provided specific specs from Ground Control (GC) as i did many things to front and rear suspension. My 335D has mostly M3 control arms and M3 sways. The only part that is still normal E90 chassis is the front spindles. My point is GC recommended I run at -1.5° camber at all 4 corners. i have adjustable rear toe links from bimmerworld along with the M3 lower camber arms and front GC camber plates. So, the BMW tech was able to dial it in to my liking. I did have to teach tech how to convert -1.5° to -1° 30 minutes though. Their machine had readout in degrees-minutes. He used an app on his phone at first and came out with .5° was 45 minutes (wrong). I caught this quickly as he let me watch.
I have since switched to a square wheel set up (255/35/18 all around) versus the 18" OE staggered setup before (225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear).
I wonder if i should take it back for a tweek?

Advantage does run a special for $129 instead of the regular price of $169.
Appreciate 0