Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin MPSS vs MPS 4S

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #1
Luftfederman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Coupe 6M/T

Garage List
2003 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Michelin MPSS vs MPS 4S

What is the difference between Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? Is the 4S just a successor model superseding the SS?
Oh and while I am at it for you MPSS or MPS4S experts: Safe to drive down to 45 degrees F or 40 degrees F? I want to put summer tires on but in Indiana spring or fall there may be a significant time when it could dip to 45 but 40 is unlikely ...
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

Yes, 4S is the new PSS and from everything I've read it is a better overall tire, but mostly in the wet is where you notice the difference.

As for putting on your tires now, I wait until it is consistently over 50 degrees, but I think you'd be fine. You just need to drive carefully until your tires heat up enough to give you better grip.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftfederman View Post
What is the difference between Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? Is the 4S just a successor model superseding the SS?
Oh and while I am at it for you MPSS or MPS4S experts: Safe to drive down to 45 degrees F or 40 degrees F? I want to put summer tires on but in Indiana spring or fall there may be a significant time when it could dip to 45 but 40 is unlikely ...
Thank you
I have gone through about 4 sets of Super Sports on a couple of my cars and just installed a set of PS4S' on Saturday. I almost went with the Super Sports again just to save a few bucks, but I figured for only $150 or so extra for the set I would give the 4s' a try.

I've logged about 300 miles on them so far and I am extremely impressed. Dry traction is slightly better, but road feel and stability is where it is most noticeable, these are incredibly confidence inspiring tires. They also seem much quieter than the super sports as well. Wet traction is the biggest improvement, and it seems like they almost defy physics they way they lock up in the rain. Apparently they are supposed to last a few more thousand miles too, but only time will tell on that one.

All in all, I highly suggest them.

Also, you'll be fine in colder weather as long as you keep in mind that you loose a lot of grip below 45 degrees. Just never drive with them in any icy conditions.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
steifan
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport 2006, 323Ci 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftfederman View Post
Thank you
I've driven my 325i with 235/35R19 MPSS's in Swedish autumn down to around 25°F (dry conditions) and I've had no negative experiences whatsoever (compared to other summer tires I've run on other cars before), but I was afraid before that I'd have no grip at all which doesn't seem to be the case. (I would be concerned about wet & cold though.. )

325i '06, 323Ci '00, A3 2,0TDI Q '10, 740 GLT 16V '88
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 12:34 AM   #5
Sales@wheelsdc.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

P4S is the new PSS and should be better in every aspect
Appreciate 0