E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Need Help Figuring Out Paint Problem

06-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
billysundae
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Touring

Need Help Figuring Out Paint Problem

Hey everyone, pretty new to the forum.

Long story short, I bought this 2007 e91 last year in my home state of Arizona while I was at school and had it brought up to my summer job last month, so I haven't had this car in my possession for very long and learning more about it.

My actual question is what is happening to my paint job? It's affected the left a-pillar all the way back to the left quarter panel. At first I assumed it was the clearcoat failing since the car was in the southwest for 11 years, but the more I look at it, it seems to be something else. The surrounding panels have basically perfect paint (aside from a few dings), and there seems to be a hard line in the door jam.

Is it possible the car had a respray in the past, and what can I do to get the car glossy again? It has a clean history, and all the panels have an anti-theft sticker on them from when it was new, and they all match.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Based on the photos and the fact that this is isolated to a single area on the vehicle, I would say it is a highly likely that this area was repainted in the past. Also, it also appears to have been a poor repair.

The cracking shown in the paint can be an effect of many things, but it all comes back to improper prep, paint mixture, or painting to the best of my knowledge.

Unfortunately, the only remedy for defects such as those cracks is to have the panel properly repaired and repainted.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 12:37 AM   #3
zhp43867
Ohhai
Rep
Drives: 330i

It does look like a poor repair. If you are ambitious you can try a repair yourself with 2K clear and see how it comes out. If it's only the rear door I would follow these instructions- with the exception of clear coating the whole door and not creating a hard paint line (that would be your first point of failure years down the road):

If interested- make sure to buy 2K clear (not 1K) and proper pre materials- including IPA, silicon remover, masking tape and paper, and good quality sand paper. Google clear coat repair 2K for much more information.

If money is not an issue, take it to a shop.
Appreciate 0