E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dann's E90 335i

10-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #67
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Well because the only code has been missfire it could be anything.
He didn't say the injectors were faulty just that they were old. I.e not the latest part number.

Also because I'm in my 1st 30days of warranty it's not covered under warranty. If it was if get them to do it all but as it's not I'm going to do it systematically and start off with the cheap items
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #68
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

All I'd say re these cars is to a degree expect the unexpected seen cars including mine with no faults yet you know somethings not quite right you rep,ace a component that your gut instinct says could provide a solution and sure enough it does.

As I think I said earlier fuel pump plausibility can come about if the cars run too low on fuel as well of course as the wording would suggest the pump itself may be failing.

I've known software updates on pumps to solve issues(ideally done with the DME)but it's not guaranteed and is by known means a 100% fix, but ive seen issues resolved purely via software, but knowing as we do the history re these cars(indeed 325/330i's too)with pump issues you'd say the pumps the favoured option to replace(ideally once replaced update the software along with DME and re set adaptations.

Injectors again well known, been there seen it done it injectors have been superceeded several times, you've got to replace in banks i.e. in 3's for cylinder 1-3 & 4-6. Once fitted they have to be coded again safe option update DME and re set all adaptations. I'd also if injectors are replaced, change the sparks and coils(seen BOSCH coils used and seen these have issues oddly enough as they don't in some cases 100% locate -get Genuine BMW coils IMO for the best fix cost more for sure but are worth it.
      10-09-2015, 01:27 AM   #69
E92chris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 325i 59 plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve
All I'd say re these cars is to a degree expect the unexpected seen cars including mine with no faults yet you know somethings not quite right you rep,ace a component that your gut instinct says could provide a solution and sure enough it does.

As I think I said earlier fuel pump plausibility can come about if the cars run too low on fuel as well of course as the wording would suggest the pump itself may be failing.

I've known software updates on pumps to solve issues(ideally done with the DME)but it's not guaranteed and is by known means a 100% fix, but ive seen issues resolved purely via software, but knowing as we do the history re these cars(indeed 325/330i's too)with pump issues you'd say the pumps the favoured option to replace(ideally once replaced update the software along with DME and re set adaptations.

Injectors again well known, been there seen it done it injectors have been superceeded several times, you've got to replace in banks i.e. in 3's for cylinder 1-3 & 4-6. Once fitted they have to be coded again safe option update DME and re set all adaptations. I'd also if injectors are replaced, change the sparks and coils(seen BOSCH coils used and seen these have issues oddly enough as they don't in some cases 100% locate -get Genuine BMW coils IMO for the best fix cost more for sure but are worth it.
Been reading this post as I am having a very similar problem with my 325i ! Steve's given me some great advice too and really knows his stuff, sorry to jump in on this thread but mine had the coils and plugs changed by an indy and I've since found out that he used the Bosch plugs and coils but he said they were a like for like replacement! but looks like they were not after all, so looks like my warranty will be void then! Again sorry for the hijack I do hope you get to the route of the problem and I feel your pain I really do mate
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 02:18 AM   #70
Dann
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post

Thanks for the advice Steve.

I'm going to confirm which cylinders are misfiring (I'm 99% sure it's 1&3 or 1&2) in which case I'll be changing those 3 injectors, along with the all the plugs.
If that doesn't solve it, I'll do the other 3 injectors along with the coils.

It's just a bit of a scary cost to have in one hit. If I can spread it out over a month or two then that's beneficial to me.

I have a hunch that it's injectors as it only misses when it's stone cold after being sat overnight. At which point when it's started stinks of fuel and runs very badly.
      10-11-2015, 05:59 AM   #71
Dann
Major
Rep

Right so Update.
Stripped the engine down and the top of the engine is covered in dirty oil. It had the valve cover replaced before I bought it so a bit more investigation and I found a couple of cracks in the actual cover. SO that need replacing along with a new gasket (whilst it's off I might as well).
Pulled the plugs and they look alright but will be replaced anyway.
Pulled Injector 1 and it was soaking wet with fuel. Looks like that one is leaking then
Pulled Injector 2 and it was covered in thick black oil mixed with fuel. Looks like that one leaks too and the valve cover isn't helping.
Pulled injector 3 and it was the same as 2. Looks like so far I need 3 injectors. Needed to take a break (this is depressing) so will pull 4 5 and 6 later to see what they are like.

Plug 1

Injector 2

Injector 3

10-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #72
Dann
Major
Rep

Now all my injectors have a number 5 at the end (one has 10)
DO I need to replace all 6 or can I do them in banks of 3?
      10-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #73
Dann
Major
Rep

4 5 and 6 are all just as bad.
Think I'll bite the bullet and do all 6. Along with plugs and new rocker cover and gasket it's going to be a very expensive trip to BMW.
Going to see if they can do me any deals on all of it otherwise I'll be getting them from our old friends leebmann24
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #74
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann
4 5 and 6 are all just as bad.
Think I'll bite the bullet and do all 6. Along with plugs and new rocker cover and gasket it's going to be a very expensive trip to BMW.
Going to see if they can do me any deals on all of it otherwise I'll be getting them from our old friends leebmann24
Try Cotswold and Harry Fairbairn both will do 15% plus free delivery
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #75
Dann
Major
Rep

Already tried them. The injectors are £200 each from them. Leebmann are only £140each
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #76
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

That's a pretty big saving, especially if you are having to get 6!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #77
Dann
Major
Rep

Yeah I'm just weighing up the options as the leebmann ones will take over a week to come.
I can get everything I need from them for the same price as just injectors from BMW in the UK
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #78
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah the dreaded rocker cover, this was mine

once the car was warmed up the rocker cover expands of course and there's your oil leak

you can see the crack runs just behind the oil filler cap hosuing on the rocker and I've seen 3 or 4 with exactly the same issue.

The leak on mine did contaminate No2 injector as well causing of course an issue re misfire and plugs were on mine also contaminated on the 2nd and 3rd cylinder so everything wa changed and I mean everything(injectors, plugs,coils, plugs). Once you've got everything sort of exposed its easy to have a look at everything in detail

When you replace the rocker cover also replace the plug sleeves as well often over looked seen these re used and issues can take place later in life, thesleeves oddly enough when bought from BMW aren't mentioned when you buy a rocker cover or just the gasket, as BMW have a 2 year part warranty on their supplied parts if you have a leak and you bought the parts from your BMW dealership and there is a warranty claim if they state that the leak is present and see no sleeves have been provided then they can refuse the claim, I've seen them do it. Yet you wouldn't know the parts department don't say you have to buy 6 sleeves in conjunction with the cover or just the gasket but I've heard of them refuse the claim based on that. So be warned.

The injectors as you may be aware have once again been replaced all and you have to repalce them in 3's to sit bank 1 and 2 though of course if you're going for all 6 then you'll be OK though a little poorer. The injectors I seem to remember weren't too bad a price now of course they are over £212+VAT per injector now fro memory(remember to buy the gasket ring and decoupling element too)as its good practice to repalce both I think the decoupling element has also been superceeded.

Once you've got everything repalced(plugs, coils, injectors) remember to code injectors, re set ECU adaptations if you have an auto gear box ideally re set the gearbox adaptations as well, if you can also update the engine ECU software (gearbox as well if yours is an auto) its all good practice IMO as the car would of adapted itself to drive with the as it is now with contaminated plugs and injectors and you need to tell the car that this is now sorted.

Just replacing the injectors and plugs will of course make a huge difference but as we've discovered resetting the adpatations and where you can updating the software is the ultimate and in our opinion the right way forward for these cars we've seen enough of them now

On one subject if I may be careful re coils seen one or two with non genuine coils(still Bosch but not Gen BW supplied) and sometimes these simply don't 100% locate causing possible mysterious misfires on some cars and as the owner you'd rule out a coil you've just repalced after work had been undertaken as you've just repalced them but if they don't 100% loate they can create the odd issue we've seen a few with this problem and some have sadly when we've done work escaped us as we'd discovered the issue too late and have been unable to help on the day, which is bloody for me frustrating.
      10-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #79
Dann
Major
Rep

I'll probably do all 6 injectors as I don't want to take it all apart again.
I'll add the sleeves to the list of parts that I'm buying. Might as well get it all done and dusted straight away.

I'm replacing all the bolts that hold the cover on too.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #80
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
I'll probably do all 6 injectors as I don't want to take it all apart again.
I'll add the sleeves to the list of parts that I'm buying. Might as well get it all done and dusted straight away.

I'm replacing all the bolts that hold the cover on too.
Yep worth doing the whole task once and once only hipefully as its not a 20 minute job which you'll soon discover
      10-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #81
Dann
Major
Rep

Yeah I'm not looking forward to doing the whole cover. The injectors and plugs is really easy suprisingly. I've now got to go out and buy some new tools to do the gasket and cover.

Looking forward to getting it done though.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 04:40 AM   #82
Dann
Major
Rep

All ordered. Now just got to wait for delivery.
Ended up with 6 injectors + fitting bits, plugs, valve cover and gasket along with all new bolts for it and the coil pack sleeves. Total came to about £1300 including shipping and all bits have a 2 year warranty with BMW
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #83
Endaitr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Did you check rock auto for the injectors ?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #84
Dann
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endaitr View Post
Did you check rock auto for the injectors ?
No I didn't. I bought ones from leebmann but looking at rock auto I might have done better there.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 04:46 AM   #85
Dann
Major
Rep

Parts are being delivered today.

Should have it up and running this weekend. Going to get the oil changed too as I don't want to be running with contaminated oil.

@old grey steve you said I should buy new injector seals too. Why is this? Surely they come with seals on them as they are compressed before fitting (hence why they come with a protective cap too)
      10-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #86
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

There was a recall for injectors a couple of years back. BMW didn't call it recall as such, but it was though. I had 3 of my injectors changed.

Have you checked with BMW you car isn't covered before fitting the new parts?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #87
smuler
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
Parts are being delivered today.

Should have it up and running this weekend. Going to get the oil changed too as I don't want to be running with contaminated oil.

@old grey steve you said I should buy new injector seals too. Why is this? Surely they come with seals on them as they are compressed before fitting (hence why they come with a protective cap too)
Don't know if this is of any help, but when I had mine replaced, under warranty, they replaced the buffers to. I don't know what they are. Maybe that's something OG Steve can clarify, but it was apparently essential.

On the point of a recall, mine didn't qualify and I can recall someone else with a 2009 saying they didn't either. But I guess knowing you, that's been checked.

best of luck
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #88
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Just looking back, the term used was "quality enhancement programme".

It was much longer ago than I thought too. I see posts from 2011 into 2012.
Appreciate 0