E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Squeeking in sub zero temperature

03-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Squeeking in sub zero temperature

Just wondering if its just me, when its really cold as I start to drive car first thing in morning there is terrible squeeking coming from the back of the car, its almost as if the boot is rubbing agsinst the window rubber.

Has anyone had this? Ordered some silicone spray to see if it resolves it just really annoying

The other one is the rear window defroster, is it me or when turned on it turns the rear window to a bacon fryer. The noise that makes sounds like bacon being fried, not bad but first few times scared the heck out of my little girl.
      03-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

...very same happened to me when it was really cold last month...I was fully sure it was the middle head rest...it went away when the car warmed up! also when its cold a creaking noise can be heard coming from the dash after a few mins from startup...im guessing that the hot air from the heater is causing some thermal expansion of the plastic while it changes temperature quickly!...nothing some expanding foam wouldnt sort out!!
      03-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
R12TCH
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Coupe

Thats spooky!
I have been getting really pissed off with a creaky/squeeky dash board over the last few weeks and came to the very same conclusion..... that it only happens during sub zero conditions!

335i M-Sport Coupe Titanium Silver, Saddle Brown leather, Alufelgen alloys, M3 spoiler, Electric sunroof, Adaptive headlights, Pro Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Logic 7/DAB/USB, Heated seats, Sun protection glass, Climate windscreen, Electric sunblind, F&R PDC, Folding Mirrors... and an amazing soundtrack!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 02:40 AM   #4
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520D

yep, same happens to me. I think it's the boot seals. My last car did it also, it's a slightly unnerving sound for some reason.

Once i've driven a few miles it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
Skid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: It's a Mini Adventure

Garage List
I have found this too.

It appears to come from the rear quarter but only when the car has been sat in sub zero temps.
I put it down to things expanding at different rates as the car warms up causing parts to rub against each other.
Even pulled over and had a good look around the car, opening and closing all the doors the first time I noticed it.

Just turn the stereo up!
Appreciate 0