E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DAB problems?

05-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
DJP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3s 2020

DAB problems?

Hi All

has anyone got the DAB option in their car & managed to get it to work in London? Picked up my car in Reading (which apparently has no signal so testing seemed fruitless) and drove it back to London, picking up nothing, and since then, despite having driven from North to South & East to West, have not yet managed to get any signal on the DAB radio... Did I check a useless option box, or is there a technical problem?

Cheers

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
robrob
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xd M Sport LCI

Garage List
Dan,

Hi, I too have the DAB option and have signal in most areas I drive. Some channels are less available than others e.g. Chill FM, but in general the coverage seems as effective as the AM stations, but with infinitely better sound. I've driven the car in Leicester, Derby, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester and all the way up the M6/M74 to Edinburgh where I live with very few breaks in transmission. I commute between Glasgow and Edinburgh and have no coverage problems at all.

You must have a technical problem with the DAB. I can't believe it can be a coverage one in London.

Should have said, I'm sure you know how to use it, but in the iDrive screen (if you have Nav) when you select the DAB option, unless you have it tuned to a memorised station, it needs to refind the nearest available digital stations. I scroll down to the left hand side of the screen and then let it "autoseek" for stations. It can take a couple of minutes sometimes.

Last edited by robrob; 05-20-2007 at 04:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Slaz
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Montego Blue

Garage List
I initially had some problems getting my DAB to find stations but it was just a question of leaving it about 5 minutes in station seek mode before it locked on to the transmitters. Since then its been brilliant with coverage everywhere I normally go in the South East. Just back from the Highlands of Scotland and no surprises that DAB didn't work there bt I didn't expect it to!

The manual pays lip service to the DAB and doesn't say that you need to wait a few minutes for it to find the stations - hence the reason I was initially worried as well. After I thought about it I remembered that the DAB radio we have in the bedroom also took a few minutes to get its act together. Clearly DAB needs a bit of time to get ready when you first use it, which of course is a bit weird coming from FM/AM where you just tune the frequency and then hear music straight away after switching on.

Hope you get it sorted as the sound quality is superb. I have set up about 7/8 stations as stored favourites and just flick between them using the steering wheel up and down buttons.
      05-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
DJP
Private First Class
Rep

Hey, thanks for the replies..

Looks like I have a problem then. I have left it selected for an hour at a time and all I get is "no signal" indicated. I have it set in the setting menu to Band III & L, which I assume covers all the bases. I look forward to getting it working and enjoying all DAB has to offer..

Didn't really want a service visit so soon though!

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
DJP
Private First Class
Rep

OK, looks like a case of user error here I'm afraid! Can't say the manual was too explicit and helpful in the setup procedure tho...

Looks like I had selected DAB option, expecting it to then automatically pickup what ensembles were available, and was frustrated when all it ever showed was no signal. I didnt realize that you had to then scroll to Autostore & click where it indicated No Signal, revealing Scan as a hidden option... Clicking scan then allowed the module to discover the broadcast ensembles..

Hope this helps any others stumped at first..

Now that I have the stations (in profusion!) I am very happy with what I have found. I think that the bitrates of many of them could (& should) be better, but the choice is excellent (at least 50 stations here in London), and I am delighted with the ability of the signal to carry info on the tracks & artists. Along with the 6FL its terrific to have so much entertainment choice at last!

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
robrob
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xd M Sport LCI

Garage List
Ah, yes, that's what I was inelegantly trying to explain when I said: "I scroll down to the left hand side of the screen and then let it "autoseek" for stations." Your description is rather better than mine!

Glad you got it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP View Post
Hi All

has anyone got the DAB option in their car & managed to get it to work in London? Picked up my car in Reading (which apparently has no signal so testing seemed fruitless) and drove it back to London, picking up nothing, and since then, despite having driven from North to South & East to West, have not yet managed to get any signal on the DAB radio... Did I check a useless option box, or is there a technical problem?

Cheers

Dan

I picked my car last September and had the same problem...mine was the 1st DAB they had seen and had forgotten to (or didn't know they had to) initialize it for Uk working

....so I thinks its a trip back the dealer for 10 mins work

I see a drop out for 10seconds in my 45 mile trip to work ...other than its brill.

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Slaz
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Montego Blue

Garage List
Glad you got it sorted at last - I think I too wasn't very accurate in my description of how to get it sorted out. Bottom line is that when you have it working it tends to work very well so enjoy!