E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E91 335i SE MT Progress thread

06-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
TalkToFrank
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

E91 335i SE MT Progress thread

Hi All!

Been lurking on here and havent contributed at all so thought i would put up a progress thread. ill fill you in on what ive done so far and fire up so pics, then update regularly from here on in.

( I'm not calling it a build thread for it wont be much in the line of modifying, mainly just maintaining and the odd tweak)

I bought this car around september time last year, i work away from home so i dont get to drive or tinker with it that often. Its the newest car ive ever owned, usually into my retros and easier to work at things.

Its a sapphire black e91 335i in manual.
Came with a a retrimmed m-sport wheel and m-sport black leather fitted along with some black mv4s and blackline rear lights.

First few things on the agenda was:
Change the black mv4s for silver
Vinyl wrap the chrome window surrounds
Replace the somehow stained drivers mirror glass
Fit DCI's
Change the rear chrome badge for black
Fix the leaking window washer bottle
Run a buffer over it before a coat of wax
Oil, plugs, coils and filters
CP, MTC intercooler, de-cats and MHD 2+
Carly tool for coding etc.

I also had a go at wrapping the interior with carbon film but it is a shoddy joob that ill remove soon, and bought some second had inspiris but again im unsure... anyway - PICTURES!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
TalkToFrank
Rep

Sorry about the size of the pictures! lol!

Anyway, forgot to include the carbon imitation mirror covers and the god-awful skirt decals!

Plans from here on in are to get it through mot, fit my m-sport skirts and rear bumper i purchased today, get the insipris refurbed and tidy the brakes / fit new discs and pads and my Hel braided brake lines.

Ill also refurb the mv4s and decide which set is staying an which is going.

What ill need help with is a front bumper. M3 ebay rep or M-sport?

Also, has anyone went down the route of having a lsd conversion kit from "racing diffs" fitted and what is the feedback?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
mashurst
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i E92 LCI

First, welcome

Lovely looking motor

M-Sport bumper Mate every time. You'll get a reasonable one off the bay of Eees which is what I did, and will look OEM when you've finished

Keep the black MV4s too, it looks so much meaner with them on it
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
TalkToFrank
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashurst View Post
First, welcome

Lovely looking motor

M-Sport bumper Mate every time. You'll get a reasonable one off the bay of Eees which is what I did, and will look OEM when you've finished

Keep the black MV4s too, it looks so much meaner with them on it
thanks

Sold the black /mv4s already! I'll keep an eye out for a bumper but im not going to pay the extortionate rate they seem to be up for. The mv4s were gloss black and made the tires look stupid i thought, no amount of tire gel could make it look right! Im contemplating painting the Inspiris a kind of gunmetal/ metalic dark grey an if im not sold on them, then refurbish the mv4s in shadowchrome and sell the inspiris on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 05:24 AM   #5
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Welcome aboard.

Nice base car to start modding. The E91 is a great shape.

Definitely the right choice swapping the black rims for silver.

Look forward to the updates.
      06-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
TalkToFrank
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Welcome aboard.

Nice base car to start modding. The E91 is a great shape.

Definitely the right choice swapping the black rims for silver.

Look forward to the updates.
Thanks Raj, your car is immense! I'm contemplating to Msport it up a bit which feels like a sin as its not one but the bumpers look better.... Do you know a good compromise on quality vs price for a rear msport diffuser? Sorely tempted on an m3 rep front bumper but again, ruining the originality makes me feel otherwise
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #7
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToFrank View Post
Thanks Raj, your car is immense! I'm contemplating to Msport it up a bit which feels like a sin as its not one but the bumpers look better.... Do you know a good compromise on quality vs price for a rear msport diffuser? Sorely tempted on an m3 rep front bumper but again, ruining the originality makes me feel otherwise
Thanks buddy.

I’d definitely go M sport front/rear bumpers. I personally don’t see it as a sin as you can tell from mine .

I like you think the M sport bumpers look way better. Only other option is to fit the aero front lip which I did have at one point and that certainly changed the look with keeping the OE front bumper. Then go sport rear bumper and performance diffuser.
      06-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
TalkToFrank
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Thanks buddy.

I’d definitely go M sport front/rear bumpers. I personally don’t see it as a sin as you can tell from mine .

I like you think the M sport bumpers look way better. Only other option is to fit the aero front lip which I did have at one point and that certainly changed the look with keeping the OE front bumper. Then go sport rear bumper and performance diffuser.
Mainly due to price, i think im going to go with the m3 rep front bumper, i have m-sport side skirts and rear bumper bought already but am struggling to find a rear diffuser that looks the ticket. Carbon would be preferable. Theres a place in latvia that has an m-performance rear splitter and an abs plastic m3 rep front bumper for £325 all in, including 4" exhausts, might take a gamble on that! Anyone any experience on using the eastern european aftermarket stuff?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
e28bmw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1987 e28 and 2008 e92 335i msp

The car looks lovely mate. I'd go with the m sport bumpers (not a sin on a 335i at all) and the BMW performance diffuser.
      06-15-2019, 03:54 AM   #10
TalkToFrank
Rep

Ok, so Ive ordered an m3 rep front bumper and msport rear diffuser from a Latvian eBay seller, we'll see what the quality is like.

Not in any rush as the MOT is Monday and ill see the results from that first, If all good, itll be time to get it fitted and sprayed including the stone chipped bonnet, then mod the exhaust and finally the LSD. But ill not get ahead of myself until the MOT is a pass.

Supposedly made out of ABS and comes supplied with the honeycomb and fog surrounds. The fogs that fit are standard Msport ones so i have ordered a set of those too.

Obviously, if the quality isnt the best, ill think of another plan for the front. Does anyone know "bmw_e91only" on instagram? They seem to have lots of non Msport solutions but i have never heard anyone else talk about them.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #11
TalkToFrank
Rep

Bit of an update, car passed MOT no problem, only changed an o2 sensor and the car went through.

Since then, I fitted all the new discs and pads, gave them and a few crusty looking bits underneath, a wee lick of paint whilst in there... Changed an abs sensor... Got the pe mod done to the exhaust... Got the car and wheels in for paint.

Just waiting now on the rear diffuser, once I get that on then I'll get the tips changed.

Car hasn't been polished and waxed yet but you get the idea!

Anyway, here's a wee collection of photos...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 03:52 AM   #12
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

So what was fitament like of the bumper? Looks good in the photos. I think the only downside of M3 front bumper is that it needs a splitter to make the bottom look flat.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
TalkToFrank
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
So what was fitament like of the bumper? Looks good in the photos. I think the only downside of M3 front bumper is that it needs a splitter to make the bottom look flat.
M3 bumper, according to the body shop, was absolutely perfect to fit! He actually commented that the rear, BMW original msport rear bumper was harder to line up!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 05:07 AM   #14
TalkToFrank
Rep

Got the diffuser... wasn't the best fit but it will do for now.... Painted it the same colour as the wheels, and did the original mirror caps black also.

Name:  IMG_20190823_182045.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  589.9 KBName:  IMG_20190823_165112.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  442.1 KBName:  IMG_20190825_133938__01.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  214.7 KBName:  IMG_20190825_133942.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  387.3 KBName:  IMG_20190825_133952.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  488.1 KB

Last edited by TalkToFrank; 08-31-2019 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 1