Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Hit a deep pothole in my 08/335i. Am I screwed?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-29-2019, 07:02 AM   #1
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

Hit a deep pothole in my 08/335i. Am I screwed?

I was coming late last night, 10 mins away from home, when i hit a huge pothole on the highway. It felt like someone hit my car and i immediately pulled to a gas station. I thought for sure my front bumper was toast. Luckily, i didnt see any damage to the wheels, but one of my front driver run flats is punctured like a bump with rubber hanging by the sidewall.

I quickly put air in it and the tire exploded in my face and i can barely see the puncture anymore. Anyways the light is still on for low tire.

I had 2 questions:

1.) Is it better to replace a single tire with the same tread or the front pair?

2.) Anything i can do to see if i screwed up anything internally (suspension, etc)?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Best to replace in pairs, especially if there is substantial mileage on the current tires. I would have the alignment checked and the front suspension visually inspected.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
Best to replace in pairs, especially if there is substantial mileage on the current tires. I would have the alignment checked and the front suspension visually inspected.
Any suggestions where i can get the alignment and get it visually inspected. Im outside of houston, and it has been a nightmare dealing with some indy mechanics.

I went to a place near cypress that others bragged about to get a alignment done. They charged $157 and told me it really didnt need an alignment but non the less since they did it, $157.

I then called them one day to replace a tpms sensor on my car. I asked them do they mind if i purchase the part since they said they only can buy from the nearest dealer and bosch makes the part, so youre buying the same part and paying an extra $50 to get it in a bmw branded box, and they changed their rates and prices multiple times (with their dealer part they wanted $420, whereas the labor rate they gave me and the bosch part would have been $360-$370).

I went to another claimed reputable dealer in houston and i asked him to do a ppi ony car because i kept smelling oil. He charged me $120 and said he found a plastic grocery bag which was caught in the engine and everything is fine. After paying i smelt the oil again after about a month, and my right rear window motor was going out, so i went to the dealer (under warranty) and lo and behold, the smell was the vcg (so he beat me out of $120).

I have tools at home like jacks and everything except a lift.

Also today discount wanted to charge me $619 for a pair of rf, and $400 for a front pair of non rf. They said its fine to run a pair of rf on one axel, and non rf on a different axel.

No oil dripping after leaving it in the garage so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Do not run a mix of RF and non-RF. Probably best to replace all to non-RF as they suck anyways
Appreciate 2