E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Replacing the trunk badge

07-31-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Pilarskica
Private
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Replacing the trunk badge

I broke the i off of my 328 i badge on the truck and I ordered a replacement.

I've watched some videos on youtube, but I have a couple of questions:

1) I saw the video on using a heat gun and floss to take the badge off, and AI searched for what to use to get the adhesive off. I saw a post saying goo gone but which one? I see original, pro strength, and gel. I don't want to mess up the paint.

2) How do I put the new one on? I read somewhere to clean it with rubbing alcohol, but do I need to do anything special to make sure it sticks. I watched one of those ultimate factory shows and the techs had a tool that rolled over the badge. I think that's overkill for what i'm going to do but I don't want this to wash off next time I wash the car.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Use a heat gun to loosen the adhesive, then use the original goo gone on a rag and wipe away the residual foam/adhesive.

I would find a way to mark where the current adhesive is, possibly masking tape although you may remove quite a bit of it removing the original adhesive, so that you know where the new badge needs to sit.

Not a hard process, but I can appreciate your concern in damaging the clear/paint and doing the job properly. In using alcohol to prep the surface, do not use more than 70% alcohol and you should be fine.

+1 for not replacing the 328i badge with an ///M badge.
Appreciate 0