E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Problem with adjustable Sway Bar End Links After B12 Kit Install

08-09-2019, 12:19 AM   #1
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

Problem with adjustable Sway Bar End Links After B12 Kit Install

So my car was due for new shocks/struts and I decided to upgrade, ordered the B12 kit and all associated hardware (strut mounts, guides, etc)

Everything went smooth with the install, test drove it after and it rides better, sits lower, I was happy with the results.

A few days later I came across a thread (on this site I believe) about end links, pointing out how lowering the car affects the sway bar end links, and more than likely you need shorter or adjustable ones if you lower your car.

I checked mine (stock) and sure enough they were slightly bent, meaning they're too long. Ordered new ones from HP auto-sport, these to be precise.
https://hpashop.com/HP-Autosport-E82...ks-e82-e9x.htm

While trying to install them I did the passenger side first, after some tinkering I get them to slide into place freely, I get the driver's side and put them side to side to make sure they're even length, that way I don't have to tinker with the driver side end link.

I go to install the driver's side and it doesn't fit, too long, so adjusted them to the shortest length possible and still don't fit,the end link it's about 1/4 inch too long, I tried to adjust the sway bar position and it wouldn't budge, my guess is the passenger side keeps it from moving, don't know what the problem is, I just installed the old ones back until I figure out what I did wrong.

This install was attempted while the suspension was compressed to the normal driving position, on ramps.

Has anyone here had this happened to them before?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 01:35 AM   #2
alex-t9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoJu3 View Post
So my car was due for new shocks/struts and I decided to upgrade, ordered the B12 kit and all associated hardware (strut mounts, guides, etc)

Everything went smooth with the install, test drove it after and it rides better, sits lower, I was happy with the results.

A few days later I came across a thread (on this site I believe) about end links, pointing out how lowering the car affects the sway bar end links, and more than likely you need shorter or adjustable ones if you lower your car.

I checked mine (stock) and sure enough they were slightly bent, meaning they're too long. Ordered new ones from HP auto-sport, these to be precise.
https://hpashop.com/HP-Autosport-E82...ks-e82-e9x.htm

While trying to install them I did the passenger side first, after some tinkering I get them to slide into place freely, I get the driver's side and put them side to side to make sure they're even length, that way I don't have to tinker with the driver side end link.

I go to install the driver's side and it doesn't fit, too long, so adjusted them to the shortest length possible and still don't fit,the end link it's about 1/4 inch too long, I tried to adjust the sway bar position and it wouldn't budge, my guess is the passenger side keeps it from moving, don't know what the problem is, I just installed the old ones back until I figure out what I did wrong.

This install was attempted while the suspension was compressed to the normal driving position, on ramps.

Has anyone here had this happened to them before?
Did you jack one side at a time? Doing so will preload the sway bar. Jack from the center front jack point.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:49 PM   #3
Twinning_N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

I agree, I would set the car on ramps and work with the tires and suspension loaded and see where the sway bar wants to sit with everything neutral, it might take some tinkering.

CALIFORNIA SMOG LEGAL
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:53 PM   #4
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinning_N54 View Post
I agree, I would set the car on ramps and work with the tires and suspension loaded and see where the sway bar wants to sit with everything neutral, it might take some tinkering.
Guys, he said he had it on ramps....

Only thing I can think of is sway bar is bent(highly unlikely) or one of your dampers isn't fully seated down in the spindle. Really the only way that one of the sides would be farther apart/closer together compared to the other.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Interested in seeing how this turned out.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
I know some people have had issues in receiving the RWD end links instead of the AWD, different lengths. Did you put in the notes/comments that it was for AWD/xDrive? I bought mine from HPA and had to inform them to get the correct adjustable end links.

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 0