E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Looking for advice on selling a e92 m sport 320i

08-13-2019, 02:37 AM   #1
Ommor
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 m sport 320i

Looking for advice on selling a e92 m sport 320i

Hello,

This is my first post and it's is sadly one of me selling my car. The problem is its got a leak in the head gasket which is making the coolant low and engine temp high. I got quoted about 2k from the garage I usually go to and instead of fixing it I just want to sell it.

Never sold a car before and wondering who I could sell it to "private or garage" in this state? and what I should be asking for? I bought it a year ago for about 5k so I am abit bummed out about it. Any advice would be appreciated. If you guys want to ask more questions about it then please do.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
mashurst
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i E92 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ommor View Post
Hello,

This is my first post and it's is sadly one of me selling my car. The problem is its got a leak in the head gasket which is making the coolant low and engine temp high. I got quoted about 2k from the garage I usually go to and instead of fixing it I just want to sell it.

Never sold a car before and wondering who I could sell it to "private or garage" in this state? and what I should be asking for? I bought it a year ago for about 5k so I am abit bummed out about it. Any advice would be appreciated. If you guys want to ask more questions about it then please do.
Whoever you sell it to is going to want you to reduce the cost by at least the 2k you've been asked for (which sounds a bit steep anyway). Personally, I think you'd be better getting a quote from somewhere else and getting it fixed.

If you want any more accurate answers from the gurus on here you would be better to add the age of the car, and which engine version you have etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, F31 328i

You could list it on ebay and be totally honest in the description about the problem. Put up as many photos showing the condition of the car inside and out. 7 Day auction format with no reserve, someone will buy it, but be prepared to let it go for whatever you get. Be aware of potential ebay fees though (maybe keep an eye out for special offers on listings).

I think you'll get more than a we buy any car type or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:24 AM   #4
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongmark View Post
You could list it on ebay and be totally honest in the description about the problem. Put up as many photos showing the condition of the car inside and out. 7 Day auction format with no reserve, someone will buy it, but be prepared to let it go for whatever you get. Be aware of potential ebay fees though (maybe keep an eye out for special offers on listings).

I think you'll get more than a we buy any car type or whatever.
Or, as above, get a second opinion on likely cost to fix and either factor that into a discounted figure you're happy with or get it done and sell for regular market value. Either way an ebay classified ad costs just £15 with no other fees.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

sorry to hear about your problem - as suggested a second opinion from maybe an experienced BMW Indie would be good to have and a split between labour hours and parts - presumably they will not know what caused the "leak" until they have taken the head off.

Also do a search on the net to find out if anyone else has had this problem and what the outcome was
Appreciate 0