E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB4 + Backend Flash vs. MHD Only

10-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #221
pagedownhere
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I'll throw in my 2 cents as a noob. I'm no where near as advanced as most on here... but this is just my experience.

My car came with the JB4 installed. I added catless Dp's and 7" FMIC and still could not stand the throttle response on the jb4. I adjusted it several times in menu 11 and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I added the free BEF from n54tech via MHD and it helped some. Car pulls very hard up top but it is still all or nothing. I have to mash the throttle to get anything.

I pulled the jB4 out and flashed MHD Stage 2+. The throttle and drive-ability is amazing and the car feels soooo good in 1st and 2nd gear. Seriously couldn't get enough of it, so much fun to drive on my short back road commute where i never get out of 3rd gear. But then in 3rd above 3k rpm it just does not have the same pull as the jb4 w/ BEF had.

So I put the JB4 back in and plan to get a custom BEF. Hopefully getting closer to the drive-ability/throttle response of the MHD stg 2+ flash and keeping that aggressive top end pull.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #222
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedownhere View Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents as a noob. I'm no where near as advanced as most on here... but this is just my experience.

My car came with the JB4 installed. I added catless Dp's and 7" FMIC and still could not stand the throttle response on the jb4. I adjusted it several times in menu 11 and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I added the free BEF from n54tech via MHD and it helped some. Car pulls very hard up top but it is still all or nothing. I have to mash the throttle to get anything.

I pulled the jB4 out and flashed MHD Stage 2+. The throttle and drive-ability is amazing and the car feels soooo good in 1st and 2nd gear. Seriously couldn't get enough of it, so much fun to drive on my short back road commute where i never get out of 3rd gear. But then in 3rd above 3k rpm it just does not have the same pull as the jb4 w/ BEF had.

So I put the JB4 back in and plan to get a custom BEF. Hopefully getting closer to the drive-ability/throttle response of the MHD stg 2+ flash and keeping that aggressive top end pull.
Or you could get a custom MHD flash and not have to mess with the JB4, but still get the power.
2011 335Xi 6AT - VRSF catless DP - VRSF 7" FMIC with turbo inlet pipe - VRSF chargepipe - Pure Stage 1 turbo - JB4 - E30 - xHP Stage 3 - Strongflex tension bushings - Whiteline RSFB - UUC rear swaybar
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #223
Wksk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i e92 6spd goes vroom!

Sorry if this has been answered before, but i could not find an answer.

I have JB4 with MHD BEF. Thinking about going MHD only. If i remove the Jb4 will i get a CEL for my downpipe? I dont care about "passing" i just dont want to see the CEL. Does MHD hide the light for catless downpipes? Thanks

Last edited by Wksk; 10-09-2017 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #224
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wksk View Post

I have JB4 with MHD BEF. Thinking about going JB4 only. If i remove the Jb4 will i get a CEL for my downpipe? I dont care about "passing" i just dont want to see the CEL. Does MHD hide the light for catless downpipes? Thanks
Yes, there is a check box when you flash for it.
2011 335Xi 6AT - VRSF catless DP - VRSF 7" FMIC with turbo inlet pipe - VRSF chargepipe - Pure Stage 1 turbo - JB4 - E30 - xHP Stage 3 - Strongflex tension bushings - Whiteline RSFB - UUC rear swaybar
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #225
pagedownhere
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
I have JB4 with MHD BEF. Thinking about going MHD only. If i remove the Jb4 will i get a CEL for my downpipe? I dont care about "passing" i just dont want to see the CEL. Does MHD hide the light for catless downpipes? Thanks
when i pulled the JB4 and flashed stage 2+ I did not get a CEL for catless dp's
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #226
Twisted Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wksk View Post

JB4 os bot needed with MHD. No codes will be present.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #227
Crusty
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hello, and apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I am very late to the MHD tuning, I used to have a JB4 with mixed results.

I am concerned about buying the wrong cables and Android device.

Please could someone confirm if this cable should work

http://www.obd2shop.co.uk/wholesale/...32rl-chip.html

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #228
Toome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post

Many thanks
To use MHD you need an Android device ($50 digiland tablet will work fine), OTG (male micro usb to female USB type A), and K-DCAN cable.

I can’t speak to that particular cable, but you get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap cable you run of the risk of failing the flash and having to buy another cable. Failing a flash will not brick the DME but the car will be unoperable until you successfully load a flash. The BimmerGeeks cable gets great reviews.
      10-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #229
Twisted Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post

Many thanks
https://twistedtuning.com/collection...an-blaze-cable
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #230
e90LA15
Rep
Drives: 328i 07

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD Tuning View Post
BMS flash + jb4 is much better than jb4 alone, but not as good as MHD OTS (flash only) in terms of smoothness.
Sorry to bother you,
Can you please share your feedback on this thread:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...3#post26184823
Appreciate 0