E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bmw e90 320d loses oil

08-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
Boris31
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 320d

Unhappy Bmw e90 320d loses oil

Hello,
As in the title, I'v got an e90 320d 120kw automatic from 2006. The problem is that it uses a lot of oil. Approx 1l per 1000km. From diagnostic tools on engine I'v got only one error and it is 4530(charge air pressure control, control deviation, charge-air pressure too low).
It goes very well but when i kick down there is like 1-2 sec delay before it starts to go good, dpf and cat are removed and turned off, there is no visable smoke while driving, only on idle when revving hard it throws a little bit of black smoke.
I went to about 5 mechanichs in my area and they dont have a clue why it loses that much oil just speculations that the engine is broken somehow but I just can't belive in that becouse it goes very well and doesn't smoke bad.
I hope someone here can give me some advices or ideas what can it be.
Im new on forum and English is not my main languge so sorry if there are typing mistakes i hope you can understand all. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
Maynard23
BMW Newbie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 320d

I assume you did not buy the car from new?
It may just be that the car was not run-in very well and because of this the bores are slightly glazed and it's burning the oil.
Just a thought.
Good luck with your quest to find a solution!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 01:09 AM   #3
BMW_fun
Private
Rep
Drives: E90_320d

Hello, Boris, as You have error codes with charge air pressure, there might be several problems. You might have a leak in turbo-intercooler-egr section where the pressure escapes. This might be a leaky intercooler or hose. One more thing is that Your pressure sensor is reading bad, so You should check for it too.
Ant the third thing, which seems most logical to me and explains the oil consumption, is that You turbo already tired and going to fail soon. When the turbo is tired, turbo shaft seals start to leak oil. This leaking oil goes to engine with air and is burned. This explains why You are missing oil and why the car is smoking.
You should remove hose from turbo and check it's shaft for play. Also I would suggest to remove the intercooler, if there will be a lot of oil (a little bit is normal), that will confirm that turbo is bad and leaking.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
andas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: multipla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris31 View Post
Hello,
I went to about 5 mechanichs in my area and they dont have a clue why it loses that much oil just speculations that the engine is broken somehow but I just can't belive in that becouse it goes very well and doesn't smoke bad.
My car is petrol but I have the same situation, my oil consumption is severe and the smoke is non existent ( smokes only when idling and reving 6k+)

Most likely it would be valve stem seals for my case, but every mechanic said there should be a lot of smoke on cold start up, but there is none. So i'm lost just like you. A mystery
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Boris31
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by andas View Post
My car is petrol but I have the same situation, my oil consumption is severe and the smoke is non existent ( smokes only when idling and reving 6k+)

Most likely it would be valve stem seals for my case, but every mechanic said there should be a lot of smoke on cold start up, but there is none. So i'm lost just like you. A mystery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_fun View Post
Hello, Boris, as You have error codes with charge air pressure, there might be several problems. You might have a leak in turbo-intercooler-egr section where the pressure escapes. This might be a leaky intercooler or hose. One more thing is that Your pressure sensor is reading bad, so You should check for it too.
Ant the third thing, which seems most logical to me and explains the oil consumption, is that You turbo already tired and going to fail soon. When the turbo is tired, turbo shaft seals start to leak oil. This leaking oil goes to engine with air and is burned. This explains why You are missing oil and why the car is smoking.
You should remove hose from turbo and check it's shaft for play. Also I would suggest to remove the intercooler, if there will be a lot of oil (a little bit is normal), that will confirm that turbo is bad and leaking.
And after 3 months I still did't solve the problem. Car drives well, I did 7000 km with it in 3 months without any problem except i must fill up the oil approx in every ~1000-1200 km. I'm sure that it doesn't have 100% of power but its not bad like it has 80% of the power and torque. I am open to any suggestions. Looking for your help. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
HardKernel
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 120kWh M47TU2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris31 View Post
Hello,
As in the title, I'v got an e90 320d 120kw automatic from 2006. The problem is that it uses a lot of oil. Approx 1l per 1000km. From diagnostic tools on engine I'v got only one error and it is 4530(charge air pressure control, control deviation, charge-air pressure too low).
It goes very well but when i kick down there is like 1-2 sec delay before it starts to go good, dpf and cat are removed and turned off, there is no visable smoke while driving, only on idle when revving hard it throws a little bit of black smoke.
I hope someone here can give me some advices or ideas what can it be.
Im new on forum and English is not my main languge so sorry if there are typing mistakes i hope you can understand all. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hello Boris, i have the exact same situation, i would like to ask you if you found out the problem or not, maybe you can help me out with this.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 01:27 AM   #7
Camery
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 318i

Garage List
2007 BMW e90  [0.00]
I've had a similar situation with my petrol 318i.
1 liter for every ~1500km.

I am not exactly sure how the diesel block compares to the petrol, but in my case it was a combination of worn valve stem seals and worn piston rings. A very common problem with the 4cil petrol engines.

Luckily I was still under warranty and the problem was fixed free of charge (oil consumption almost 0, you never get it to be dead 0), but it's not cheap.

Then again, I dont know if the diesel 4cil engines have these same problems as the petrol variant.
Appreciate 0