E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Pre-September with MP3 playback supported????

10-29-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Pre-September with MP3 playback supported????

Can anyone else out there confirm MP3 cd playback with pre-septmeber build cars? And if so what software version do you have?
This is for iDrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialworker
My friend, all i can tell you is that when my wife and got married we made several hundred MP3 CDs with love songs on them. when i first got the e90 in june that cd refused to play. if you check my post, i recently had a flat tire about three weeks ago. once i got the e90 back, my best friend tried to use a mp3 cd to play something, i told it would not work. Guess what? it worked!! i went upstair and got several mp3 cd and they all played. EVEN THAT WEDDING CD

I have had no luck.... and I do not know if anyone else has!
Thanks in advance! Best of Luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
tiga901
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i, mt pp sp

When I got my 330i last week, I made sure that they update the software. My car was definitely a pre setember build. I will check it out and the let you guys know....
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
mwie
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SG

Hi,

check out this thread in the Audio+Bluetooth subforum...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6271

mwie
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
If anyone have a pre-september car and has Idrive/mp3 working, please let us know. I can't wait any longer
      10-29-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
yu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I got my car in August and it plays MP3 CDs.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuBimmer
I got my car in August and it plays MP3 CDs.
Do you have iDrive? non-iDrive have always had it. If you do have iDrive what software do you have?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
yu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yeah I have iDrive, but I don't know what software I have. How do I check?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

The basic way is, have you taken it in for service and they did an upgrade. So you can play a cd with just mp3's on it? a cd with hundreds of songs? Not a cd burned from MP3's and has music tracks like a normal cd.

If you have taken it in it will say on the paperwork they gave you.
If you did not get the software updated and have iDrive, you may be one of the first to have it from the factory.... If not we may be able to sort the software out!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
yu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Nevermind, it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 12:00 AM   #10
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325 Saphire Black

Class Action Suit

Can't one of you guys in the US get lawyered up on this and kick BMW's ass ? Everyone is scared of US lawyers right - i've seen "The Practice" .

In the manual i got with the car 5 days ago it says it plays MP3s / WMA. It doesnt. The dealer sees it as a trivial problem and wont give me a fix date or tell me its covered under warranty. Apparently i'm not a "BMW person" for being concerned about this kind of thing.
Leave us alone while we sell 7 series to people who listen to Opera

The fact that Nissan and Toyota can sell me a car for half the price where these things work out of the box (and a whole lot more) is not a problem for him. I guess I'm lucky to have a BMW ? - f*ck off !

The way i look at it is i have a $3000 USD professional sound system in a luxury level car that doesnt work properly after 6 months of the car being on sale. (based on UK pricing of Pounds 2000 for prof nav upgrade). I have no post sales response on a problem on a 5 day old car so that bodes well for the future ! I have major buyers remorse right now.

Isn't this the kind of issue US class action suits were designed for ?

Last edited by cdxp; 11-02-2005 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: cant spell
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #11
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I feel your pain, cdxp. Yeah our motto here is "you can sue anyone for pretty much anything!" but what would you sue BMW for? I guess false advertising/marketing, but I wouldn't know what else. But your right--only people who actually even know what mp3s are would actually be interested in getting this to work on their pre sept. cars. And maybe BMW thinks this is a small number (but I don't think so.)

There's got to be a computer update, only no one has gotten it yet (at least that I know of). I mean, come on! We all have 2006 3-series cars, and yet the ones that bought theirs before september are being penalized by not having mp3 capability.

Ha! I guess BMW figures, that's what they get for pre-ordering E90s! How dare they do such a thing!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 05:42 AM   #12
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

I bought mine in late October but i guess it went down the river on the raft wherever it was made in July or August. You would figure before they'd sell it they should download the latest drivers and reboot it though :-D.
I dont actually think this is a dealer problem they just want an easy life and i think software is very hard for them to understand.
Its a "BMW don't care" problem and the dealer just echos that.

Seriously though if you have software problems you should complain very loudly. Now is the time to get it fixed.

I work on software projects. All software has bugs or "features" Software guys always have a priority list with hundreds of problems on several projects. They typically work on the top 10 bugs. New ones get added every day. If your problem doesnt make the top 10 it never gets fixed. Little by little apathy kicks in - people accept or give up or sell out so the problems drop to the bottom. Then in 3-4 years you are trying to sell a limited edition non MP3 E90 BMW in a market where every single new car being sold has MP3 support (probably on flash cards) . Think tape player v CD support today only no easy way to rip it out and replace it.

This problem will cost us money down the line.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 09:31 PM   #13
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just got call from dealer. BMW says car should support MP3 out of the factory. Will upgrade software if it doesnt. Taking in next week and will see what happens
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 10:38 PM   #14
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have the latest software CIP 19.2, no MP3 support.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 10:39 PM   #15
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdxp
Just got call from dealer. BMW says car should support MP3 out of the factory. Will upgrade software if it doesnt. Taking in next week and will see what happens
Hey, we here in the US with pre-September iDrive e90's feel you pain, la! (My cheesy attempt at Singlish). Anyways, please let us know if the Software upgrade does anything for you. From the posts on this site though, I would probably not get my hopes up. I don't think a successful mp3 fix has been released anywhere in the world yet for pre-September cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #16
schwma
My first bimmer...but definitely not my last!
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I bought my non-iDrive 330i in late July, and it plays MP3 CDs just fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #17
ronline
Rep
Drives: 08 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwma
I bought my non-iDrive 330i in late July, and it plays MP3 CDs just fine.
I got my car in early September.
Tried burning with different software, different media, dvdr and cdr.
Mine will not play back MP3’s.
I also had the CIP 19.2 software update.

How are you burning you MP3 cds?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 04:26 AM   #18
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
I would probably not get my hopes up. I don't think a successful mp3 fix has been released anywhere in the world yet for pre-September cars.
I'm not holding my breath - Stages of tech support is always

1: Denial that the problem has ever existed anywhere and problem must be dumb user.
2: After a few weeks or months grudgingly respond to customer complaints and escalation and offer to take a look
3:Try all the things you've already tried
4:Accept problem exists but this is the first time you've ever heard of it
5:Log the problem with the factory and factory tech support go right back to 1 but with dealer as dumb user

I'm at stage 2. Since we all already know that pre-september with prof navi does not work with MP3 i find it amazing that the dealer claims BMW dont know anything about this. But they've offered to take a look.

Kudos for knowing Singlish exists - Most Americans dont normally know where Singapore is
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #19
greg2
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i, E90

I share your pain! I was initally told without a sliver of doubt that the problem was software and that CIP 19 would solve the issue (direct from the mouth of BMW many months ago). Version 19 came and went and guess what, no MP3. Then I was told the problem was definitely not software but hardware, again, without a sliver of doubt. Still no MP3. Now I'm told that, its software and CIP 20 will, without a doubt, solve the problem in Dec 05 In Dec 07 I guess I'll still be waiting and CIP 36 will definitely solve the problem. The only consolation is that by that time MP3's will probably be obsolete!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 05:12 AM   #20
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdxp
I am sure you will all be surprised and even stunned to learn that the visit to the dealer did not resolve the MP3 problem. They were amazed to learn of the problem and said a software fix in Feb 06. After i shouted a lot that came back down to December 05 but that could have been because they wanted me out of the shop.

The solutions i have proposed are any one of the 4 following before end November

1: Take a software image from a working October model and load it on my car
2: Take a post september new prof nav system and radio and install it in my car
3: Take my car and give me a post september car
4: Give me my money back

Waiting for next week to get a response
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #21
LAWebGuy
Registered
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Exclamation Engaged Atty, Considering class options - Collecting Interest

Like everyone in the thread, I've been a bit concerned about getting the MP3 functionality that was both 'promised' as well as mentioned on every piece of collateral (including the Window Sticker)!

Having spoken to reps at BMW NA - I have yet to get a satisfactory response - short of being told that I can play MP3s using an MP3 player plugged into the AUX input.

Like member CDXP, I proposed 4 solutions (credit CDXP for the verbiage)
1: Take a software image from a working October model and load it on my car
2: Take a post september new prof nav system and radio and install it in my car
3: Take my car and give me a post september car
4: Give me my money back / some reasonable credit

As we stand, unless progress seems imminent this week, we're looking at other options. The outstanding question posed to me - is how large is the potential class (how many people are affected by this issue)?

That said, if you're in the class (you have a pre-Sept production car that does NOT play MP3s) - please feel free to drop me an email to 'BMWMP3 at kovac.net' <-- change the 'at' to '@' with your basic info:

Model (330/325 etc.):
Date of Purchase:
Name:
City/State/Zip:
Email Address:

I promise several things:
1) I will ONLY use your info for tabulating the number of people affected (NO SPAM, NO SELLING LIST, etc.) and their locations
2) If any action is being taken, I will email you with appropriate information on how you can get involved (opt-in)

It's possible that BMW NA will respond with a fix - eliminating the need for this action to proceed (I'd consider that an ideal solution!). However, if we can't get satisfactory resolution, we'll consider all options. Safe driving to all! 'LAWebGuy'
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 12:44 AM   #22
wuga
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i Titan Silver

Garage List
2005 E90 325I  [0.00]
2005 E90 325i  [0.00]
How to check the software version?
Appreciate 0