E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > UPDATED - Engine Swap - 335D Crankshaft Main Bearings and Bolts Question

01-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #111
Soonerbilly
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

HAHA!!!!! Now that's funny APEX....didn't even remember you were the OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:31 PM   #112
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbilly View Post
HAHA!!!!! Now that's funny APEX....didn't even remember you were the OP.
Yeah, I've been replying to many other threads on the general E9x forum side and throwing the OP term around there quite often. Must have been on auto pilot typing that response
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #113
chuckn0rr1s
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
With regards to the issue at hand, turns out the noise is the front main crankshaft bearing. The sound the car was making sounded like a connecting rod bearing was quite worn or spun. So we took the oil pan off to inspect the connecting rod bearings and.......they looked good as new. So the next step was to inspect the main bearings and that's where we found the issue. It looks like the previous owner might have ran the engine low on oil and spun the main bearing. They tried to remedy the issue by replacing all the connecting rod bearings and fitting what we think is an oversized main bearing to silence the issue and get rid of the car. Unfortunately the rod knock could only be heard when the engine was revved past 2.5k rpm so I never heard it when I bought the car. According to my mechanic they did such a shitty job of fixing the issue that the noise went away for a few thousand miles before coming back.

So, now I'm faced with the dilemma of how to fix the issue. We are having a BMW engine guy come and inspect the crankshaft for any scoring before proceeding. There are four options at this point:

1) if the crankshaft isn't badly damaged we might be able to carefully polish out the imperfections and fit new bearing and end caps. This will be tough to do with the engine still in the car.
2) if the crankshaft is damaged, it will need to be removed. I've been told that to do that the engine has to come out
3) buy a new engine and do a swap. I've already been on Copart looking for donor vehicles. My mechanic can source me a warranties engine for a bit under 4K and there are only two available in the US
4) slap on some oversized bearings, sell it to Carmax and let them deal with the issue

I'm really hoping option 1 works out as I love the car. If it wasn't a true M Sport and all the maintenance I did on the top end of the engine this past year, I'd get another 335 and start over.
You want to buy my totaled 335d msport? Rear end damage only
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 11:04 PM   #114
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckn0rr1s View Post
Quote:
With regards to the issue at hand, turns out the noise is the front main crankshaft bearing. The sound the car was making sounded like a connecting rod bearing was quite worn or spun. So we took the oil pan off to inspect the connecting rod bearings and.......they looked good as new. So the next step was to inspect the main bearings and that's where we found the issue. It looks like the previous owner might have ran the engine low on oil and spun the main bearing. They tried to remedy the issue by replacing all the connecting rod bearings and fitting what we think is an oversized main bearing to silence the issue and get rid of the car. Unfortunately the rod knock could only be heard when the engine was revved past 2.5k rpm so I never heard it when I bought the car. According to my mechanic they did such a shitty job of fixing the issue that the noise went away for a few thousand miles before coming back.

So, now I'm faced with the dilemma of how to fix the issue. We are having a BMW engine guy come and inspect the crankshaft for any scoring before proceeding. There are four options at this point:

1) if the crankshaft isn't badly damaged we might be able to carefully polish out the imperfections and fit new bearing and end caps. This will be tough to do with the engine still in the car.
2) if the crankshaft is damaged, it will need to be removed. I've been told that to do that the engine has to come out
3) buy a new engine and do a swap. I've already been on Copart looking for donor vehicles. My mechanic can source me a warranties engine for a bit under 4K and there are only two available in the US
4) slap on some oversized bearings, sell it to Carmax and let them deal with the issue

I'm really hoping option 1 works out as I love the car. If it wasn't a true M Sport and all the maintenance I did on the top end of the engine this past year, I'd get another 335 and start over.
I had the issue about half a year ago. I've since put a new motor in it. That being said, if it was stupid cheap I'd probably go for it. Insurance still want $5k for it? Any idea on which auction house they'll try to sell it at?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 11:25 PM   #115
chuckn0rr1s
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 335d

Quote:
I had the issue about half a year ago. I've since put a new motor in it. That being said, if it was stupid cheap I'd probably go for it. Insurance still want $5k for it? Any idea on which auction house they'll try to sell it at?
Insurance still wants $5k for it. they won't budge. I just realized this thread was old...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 05:09 AM   #116
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Insurance still wants $5k for it. they won't budge. I just realized this thread was old...
Yeah, it's a little old but has some new activity. It appears there's another member who's going through the exact same thing that happened to me. I had some extra crankshaft bearings end caps from my old engine so he's going to try and replace his bad one with one of my new ones. Crossing my fingers it works out for him.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #117
Soonerbilly
Banned
Rep

Hell....I got some too PEP if the ones from APEX don't workout.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #118
Pep423
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Hell....I got some too PEP if the ones from APEX don't workout.
Bearing caps? Do you have #1?
Seems whether the caps are interchangeable is a question. My shop says yes so I guess we'll find out in a few days?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #119
Pep423
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

How much and how many miles?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #120
Soonerbilly
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep423 View Post
Seems whether the caps are interchangeable is a question. My shop says yes so I guess we'll find out in a few days?
I do....bought an entire blown motor for parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #121
Pep423
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I do....bought an entire blown motor for parts.
Can u send some pics of #1?
What happened to the motor?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #122
Soonerbilly
Banned
Rep

Its at my buddies shop.....ill try to run over and get a pic tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 01:40 AM   #123
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Its at my buddies shop.....ill try to run over and get a pic tomorrow.
Any info on what happened to the motor?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #124
Soonerbilly
Banned
Rep

The one I bought was from an X5....#6 rod/piston broke....hole in block.
Got it for 500.....with everything included. Me and my buddy both have 2011 335d's so we figured it was good to have parts around.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #125
Soonerbilly
Banned
Rep

Hey PEP....headed over now to get pics of that #1 Cap.....need anything else?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #126
Pep423
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. Let's see what happens with the cap I got coming this week. I should know by end of the week the results of cap and main bearing replacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #127
ground_zero
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d sport package

Garage List
2010 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I'm sorry you guys had to go through this, I had mine for 3 months or so and only put 2k miles on it and already want to change the sooty oil, When I took delivery the oil looked great but after this short of a time it's REAL dirty.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #128
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_zero View Post
I'm sorry you guys had to go through this, I had mine for 3 months or so and only put 2k miles on it and already want to change the sooty oil, When I took delivery the oil looked great but after this short of a time it's REAL dirty.
What do you mean it looked very dirty? If you're worried about the state of the engine, send out an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. Their service is top notch and really affordable.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #129
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

It's normal for a diesel to turn the oil black in a short time. If you aren't smoking or getting bad mpg, I really doubt you have excessive soot.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 10:36 PM   #130
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the pics. Let's see what happens with the cap I got coming this week. I should know by end of the week the results of cap and main bearing replacement.
Any updates on whether the replacement end cap helped resolve the issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #131
Pep423
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any updates on whether the replacement end cap helped resolve the issue?
Not yet, shop ordered the main bearing through a dealer but it came from Germany and today I found out it has been on customs hold since last Tuesday.

Iv been trying to get some info from FedEx as to exactly what the hold up is but haven't heard anything back yet. Will try calling tomorrow.

I'm in the industry and "bearings" are kind of a delicate item as far as US Customs is concerned. They may be thinking it's ball bearings and of course since the govt was shut down I'm sure this got pushed to the back of line.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 06:11 AM   #132
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Not yet, shop ordered the main bearing through a dealer but it came from Germany and today I found out it has been on customs hold since last Tuesday.

Iv been trying to get some info from FedEx as to exactly what the hold up is but haven't heard anything back yet. Will try calling tomorrow.

I'm in the industry and "bearings" are kind of a delicate item as far as US Customs is concerned. They may be thinking it's ball bearings and of course since the govt was shut down I'm sure this got pushed to the back of line.
I had the same issue with getting bearings and having them clear customs. It took almost 3 weeks between the time we ordered a set and when they finally arrived. I was amazed that there were so few in the country. At the time we placed the order we couldnt even source a complete set from anywhere in the country. Wonder if they will stock more in the US now that there is an uptick in bearing issues on some of these engines....
Appreciate 0