E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need help with PROcede v5 tuning

03-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #23
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiSCaRGoT View Post
I did read some post on the risk of fire. I'm unfortunately using the WW solution, as I'm driving an E93 so trunk space is absolutely crucial.

As a precaution, I'm using 50/50 by volume, so its around 55/45 water/meth.
I hope that's good enough, what are your thoughts?
Without question.....ditch the WW tank setup as soon as possible. 50/50 is probably a bit safer though but people have tested it's flamability and although it's harder to igniite, it will still catch fire.

Mine started leaking and I converted to a 4 quart trunk mount tank. It's been working flawlessly ever since and I no longer worry about meth leaks.

Also...seeing intake temps rise to 40F above ambient when the car is not moving is not unusual no matter how good your intercooler. Air has to be moving through the intercooler for it to work.

So don't worry about your ETS. Wedge's suggestion for a supplementary nozzle tapped into the hot side of the intercooler might be worth pursuing as it will help prevent heatsoak. Only issue would be that unless you have a check valve on the feed line, the meth in the line will pool in your intercooler when the car is parked. Aluminum and meth = not a great combination due to corrosion.

So make sure to get a check valve on the lines.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
A
BTW I noticed the AFR and fuel trim on Bank 2 still does a yo-yo, even after adaptations reset. Doesn't happen on Bank 1. Happens without meth too. Needs to adapt more, you reckon? Or could be a sign of hardware failure?
It's not too bad but if it still does that see-saw on map 1 with no meth spraying then you might have an O2 sensor that is getting tired.

Having a bit of oscillation at boost onset is not unusual as many things are changing at the same time.

It does stabilize later in the log - so it's not that bad to worry too much about, but keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #25
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I did read some post on the risk of fire. I'm unfortunately using the WW solution, as I'm driving an E93 so trunk space is absolutely crucial.

I have a e93 too, you need to dig up one of my posts and look at my tank installation for meth.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #26
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

IIRC, vishnu dynamic meth mapping means that you will only achieve 70% map 2 transition at 70% DC. Has this changed?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

It can still catch on fire. The downpipes/turbo and engine area have a large surface area of high heat and temps. People have went up at 50/50 so I see no reason a 5% difference will put you in the clear.

You can do a trunk mount in the e93.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
IIRC, vishnu dynamic meth mapping means that you will only achieve 70% map 2 transition at 70% DC. Has this changed?
Hey Tzu:

I did not know that.....but it would explain why my boost dropped about 1 psi when I converted to 70% DC.

Thanks man - you filled a gap for me there.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #29
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post
Sorry for the thread jack but how exactly did you bypass the boost switch and how do you trigger a purge via command center?
Is the Procede priming the meth pump or do you have another way of powering the pump?
Using the PROcede for the boost switch and hijacking the volume - to activate the pump at 3k+ rpm in park or neutral to purge the meth lines and get positive flow. Nice option at the strip after you heat the tires, pop it in neutral and rev the engine with the - volume pressed and it will purge any air bubbles in the line so at launch you don't have any issues with power drop from maps switching back and forth due to meth line bubbles. Especially helpful in hot weather.

I think it's a new feature with the Rev3 Flex Fuel firmware. So rather than using a boost switch which you would have to run a switched jumper to activate the meth flow remotely, I can do it from my wheel. They boyz at FFTEC and I set it up last year when I was at FFTEC hang'n out before Shift S3ctor. You'll have to call and get directions from the guys at Vishnu if you have a Rev3.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #30
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
It's not too bad but if it still does that see-saw on map 1 with no meth spraying then you might have an O2 sensor that is getting tired.

Having a bit of oscillation at boost onset is not unusual as many things are changing at the same time.

It does stabilize later in the log - so it's not that bad to worry too much about, but keep an eye on it.
DO NOT WAIT... I didn't think anything about this until one day I was on my car hard and smoke started rolling into the car. I was lucky. I got the fire put out before it caused any damage to my car, but i still have the reminder of what a meth fire can do and how quick it can happen. If you don't know how to put out a fire under your valve cover and quick, you'll be looking for a new car. Just ask Jeff about his buddies car. I think he has some pictures still posted somewhere.

Check out cn555ic's e93 meth kit thread. Steven's a mad scientist when it comes to trick'n out the e93... I'm sure Steven would be very helpful if you have any questions. Most of the guys here are helpful when it comes to stuff like this. Feel free to hit me up if you need anything also. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #31
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Hey Tzu:

I did not know that.....but it would explain why my boost dropped about 1 psi when I converted to 70% DC.

Thanks man - you filled a gap for me there.
It transitions 100% based on the Meth DC map. Debug byte 7 is the expected meth flow based on calcs.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #32
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

OP I viewed your logs briefly and hardware seems fine to me... you can optimize the tuning a little bit for cleaner logs, but not really necessary. How's the car driving?

The "yo-yo" in the AFR is just due to slower engine speeds and able to see individual cyls firing.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #33
PiSCaRGoT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 335i 2007

I read that ripping out the engine cover foam can help reduce the risk as well. I'll go check out cn555ic's solution and consider this again. The reason why I chose the WW solution is so that I don't have to route so many things, which I need to reconsider now.

Joshboody, car is running great now. I just updated my DME software (I still had old software since 2007) to get rid of the occasional CEL on catalytic converter conversion error. Might be placebo, but feels slightly laggier. Shouldn't be with my PROcede in there. Will give it more miles and report back in.

Josh/Ilma, should I be reverting to 100% meth DC to get the 100% transition into Map2 when meth is firing? I can't tell from the comments, I'm currently using the 70% table that Ilma posted up earlier.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #34
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Josh/Ilma, should I be reverting to 100% meth DC to get the 100% transition into Map2 when meth is firing? I can't tell from the comments, I'm currently using the 70% table that Ilma posted up earlier.
Remember that part of the reason to run a 70% meth DC is to get more pulsing of the Fast Acting Valve.....this promotes better atomization. At 100% meth DC I believe the valve becomes static and wide open so not as much pulsing. But in your ambient temperatures that may be a moot point since the meth is probably evaporating fully.

I believe that dynamic mapping only transitions between the boost, OL fuel and timing values set between map 1 and map 2.

That log of yours I posted shows you are already hitting 17.5 psi on stock turbos....and that is at 70% DC.

I wouldn't push boost any further than that especially in the Malaysian heat.

If the car feels great and the logs look good then I wouldn't mess with it too much more.

If you want a bit more power, you could simply increase your methanol mix percentage to 80/20. Just make sure to log...rinse and repeat.

Especially watch your timing curve. Having more water in the mix tends to make less power, but also stabilizes the timing curve more. With the higher meth percentage, I found my timing curve could be advanced a bit, but also gave me more dips in the curve.

More power = more heat.

Last edited by Ilma; 03-20-2013 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
PiSCaRGoT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Roger that. Will drive around for the next few days and let adaptations settle down, especially with the new DME software, then I will relog and see what it looks like.

On trunk mount, I saw cn555ic's solution for the E93. Mine has no passthrough panel from the boot, might be difficult to install. However, what's the thoughts on keeping the pump, FAV etc where it is, and just relocating the container? So the only thing I need to route is one outlet hose from tank to pump.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
PiSCaRGoT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also, thinking out of the box and not trying to start a new debate again, but I'm surprised nobody ever thought about utilizing the existing location of the WW to have a proper meth spec & designed ground up container, with proper fittings, vents, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #37
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

On trunk mount, I saw cn555ic's solution for the E93. Mine has no passthrough panel from the boot, might be difficult to install. However, what's the thoughts on keeping the pump, FAV etc where it is, and just relocating the container? So the only thing I need to route is one outlet hose from tank to pump.
Leave the FAV and the meth wiring harness under the hood.

But you should move both the tank and pump to the rear of the car.

1. The pump will run cooler and last longer out of the heat of the engine bay.
2. The head of the pump should be even with or below the bottom of the tank. Gravity feed works best on the inlet side of the pump.

You simply trace and cut the red and black feed wires going to the pump....disconnect the pump from the bracket that the FAV shares with it.

Then splice the red and black wires with an appropriate gauge wire and feed it down to the rear mounted pump location and rejoin......Voila....done.

Honestly, running two wires alongside the meth feed line is not any harder than the feed line alone.
Appreciate 0